Can someone identify this? Some sort of resin?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It’s very light but it sinks in water, floats in salted water. Has a distinct pleasant smell. I polished it a bit with fine sandpaper, it’s fairly soft but I can’t scratch it with my nail . I was wondering if it could be Amber? We’ve had some huge seas lately.

Attachments

• 8433CB16-90A6-4A4C-966D-B790D6931B21.jpeg
    8433CB16-90A6-4A4C-966D-B790D6931B21.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 65A2FFD9-EAB7-4428-9A1E-D116C2AF2D27.jpeg
    65A2FFD9-EAB7-4428-9A1E-D116C2AF2D27.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 189BCAFF-EEC4-4BEF-8609-193B4466A397.jpeg
    189BCAFF-EEC4-4BEF-8609-193B4466A397.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
If you found this on a beach then chances are that it is ambergris. Amber, when rubbed quickly against your pants or on fine sandpaper smells like the old woodworking rosin, it is distinctive, a tree resin if it is not petrified. Don't make too much noise about it if you found it on the beach because ambergris is supposed to stay right there, unless you have a permit. States may vary with regulations, am not sure about them all but I do not it is very strict in Tasmania.
See if you can set a flame to it without setting it on fire then seeing if there is a very pleasant odour or a gum smell.

If you found this on a beach then chances are that it is ambergris. Amber, when rubbed quickly against your pants or on fine sandpaper smells like the old woodworking rosin, it is distinctive, a tree resin if it is not petrified. Don't make too much noise about it if you found it on the beach because ambergris is supposed to stay right there, unless you have a permit. States may vary with regulations, am not sure about them all but I do not it is very strict in Tasmania.
See if you can set a flame to it without setting it on fire then seeing if there is a very pleasant odour or a gum smell.
Wow! 😳😱🤫😬 ok……I was reading all about it. Very interesting! Be careful what you pick up on the beach 🤦‍♀️. Hopefully it’s not ambergris!

To Test for Ambergris​

Try this simple “do it yourself” home test to check any unusual items you have found. The test is not sufficiently reliable to provide a positive ID unless you are thoroughly familiar with the required result. However, the test result may be helpful in determining whether it is worth pursuing the enquiry further.

Hot Needle Test

• Heat the tip of a needle until very hot.
  • Lay the heated needle flat on the surface of the item for 3-4 seconds and remove.
  • If ambergris; the surface will melt instantly. A thin melted line will now be visible on the surface.
  • This melted liquid residue should be glossy and sticky with a jet black or caramel colour.

To Test for Ambergris​

Try this simple “do it yourself” home test to check any unusual items you have found. The test is not sufficiently reliable to provide a positive ID unless you are thoroughly familiar with the required result. However, the test result may be helpful in determining whether it is worth pursuing the enquiry further.

Hot Needle Test

• Heat the tip of a needle until very hot.
  • Lay the heated needle flat on the surface of the item for 3-4 seconds and remove.
  • If ambergris; the surface will melt instantly. A thin melted line will now be visible on the surface.
  • This melted liquid residue should be glossy and sticky with a jet black or caramel colour.
Well it melted & went hard not black. I’m still thinking Copal. I found this article it’s interesting . Also nothing mentions Ambergris being a bright red colour.
https://takeonethingoff.com/blog/2022/02/28/the-attar-guide-ambergris-a-primer/

Hi Rockson. Have you had any definition on the ID yet. Curious to know if it is amber as that is not uncommon in Australia and in fact from my reading is one of the oldest ambers in the world dating back to when we were part of Gondwana.
One test I haven't seen mentioned yet is the ultra violet test where amber will glow under the light of your ultra violet torch. Some ambers will fluoresce strongly, and others weakly.
PS A UV torch is also good for testing for scorpions around your campsite.

Hi Rockson. Have you had any definition on the ID yet. Curious to know if it is amber as that is not uncommon in Australia and in fact from my reading is one of the oldest ambers in the world dating back to when we were part of Gondwana.
One test I haven't seen mentioned yet is the ultra violet test where amber will glow under the light of your ultra violet torch. Some ambers will fluoresce strongly, and others weakly.
Yeah, that reminds me of the time I was up near Anthony's Lagoon and a night walk with a fluorescent torch illuminated all these small lights on the ground, so I grabbed a stick and scratch marked the ground for identification come daylight then I made a long scratch along the ground to direct me. Well, next morning I went back and found the biggest holes, with biggest spiders parked just down inside the hole. I shuddered and realised that I could have tried to pick these up at night. Had breakfast and got the hell out of there.

I bought a UV torch & this is the result.

6F95BE8B-F739-42CE-97BA-D1F6AF7D9FD4.jpeg

I’m going to take it to the local lapidary club & see if they can help. There’s also a museum where they meet so hopefully someone has some ideas.

Latest posts