Can i take my dog prospecting in victoria at all?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wanting to travel to Victoria with hubby & dog? We would like to know if we can take our dog anywhere prospecting with us into the detecting areas .Thank you for any help

if you contact parks vic there is another department DEL???? THEY COVER MOST OF THE CROWN LAND. But some park dogs are not allowed EG Whipsticks it has restricted spots regards john :)

Im most state forests and parks its ok if the dog is controlled but its a big no in the national parks.
Cheers Steve

Agree as above 1080 baits for wild dogs and are reasonably common in NSW at least. Some use a muzzle so dogs cant eat the baits.

No dogs in National Parks in NSW, not sure about VIC?

Cant see why not for other areas?

RS

In Victoria: dogs are, generally, only permitted in State Forests - not in State Parks or National Parks.

It's OK to drive them through NP/SP and no one is going to prosecute if you let them out, on a lead, for a pee.

As prospecting is, largely, restricted to SF it's not a big issue. However there are some designated areas for prospecting in NP/SP but I don't believe dogs are permitted in those areas - Parks Victoria will confirm.

Parks Victoria rangers vary greatly in their common sense with the country born and bred ones being much more sensible than the ones with degrees in ecology and tree hugging.

Fortunately, Parks Vic do not control State Forests - that's the job of:
https://www.forestsandreserves.vic.gov.au/
Well I think it is but the the damn department has changed it's name about ten times in the past five years!

Plenty of dog baits laid in the Mitta. Eskdale area in the last month or so. Not a great area for detecting so it may not effect you. As houdini stated the snakes are probably a bigger worry at this time of the yr. Mozzies also. Saw the last half of a brown getting out of my way as I was driving a state forest track on the weekend. It was motoring that hard it was raising dust. ;)

Most prospecting areas in WA are very high risk because of baits. Dogs can also present a problem getting access to pastoral leases.

Baits are an easy getaround. Buy a suitable cage muzzle so your pooch can still sweat/breathe/bark as unrestricted. I know a couple who take their mini schnautzer prospecting to WA each year and the muzzle doesn't bother him in the slightest.

Unfortunately they are not fool proof. I've had to shoot 3 dogs that took baits while wearing muzzles

Sorry to hear that :(

There are some terrible muzzle designs (for this purpose) which sit far too close to a dogs snout allowing them to lick things as you mention. This basket style for example is no good https://www.amazon.com/Baskerville-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NFA1CMEH31BY7H5G6B8R

I'll see if I can dig up a link to the muzzle they use. https://www.k9-equipment-store.com/k9-dog-muzzle-c-3/k9-dogs-wire-dog-muzzle-for-winter-p-652.html It looks similar to this but with a longer snout section and finer mesh. Their dog can only drink by immersing the muzzle in water. I actually couldn't find a muzzle specialized for the purpose of keeping dogs bait safe but I guess it's too small a market. It would be easy enough to tweak the design yourself.

Ive found that my two foxies drop more nuggets on the ground then I find ,so taking your dog detecting is only a picnic for them .snakes and baits are all to common so be aware........

It's sad but true what all these gents are saying. If you are in a caravan park you could maybe secure your l'il mate by chain to your campsite and ask if someone could keep an eye on him while you are out detecting?
Welcome by the way.
Jaros

Latest posts