Can I eat goats and other ferals?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Or do they pose a risk of TB and other diseases. I've been told wild pigs are a no go due to them carrying TB. There's plenty of feral goats in the outback and I'd been thinking to snag one for dinner and store the rest in the deep freeze but unsure on the legality of the matter regards hunting or whether they'd make a tasty meal? Had a camel pie up in birdsville and was amazed how good it tasted. Anyways I'm all ears.

I think they are fair game,
Goats that is I know a guy who pops one when he has a bit of room in the freezer,meats a bit stringy and a tad dry but cooked right ,not bad.

hmm, check the liver and internals before you attempt to eat it - full of worms

I had hunted and eat all sorts of game and I'm still around. Goats, pigs, roos, deer, rabbits, hares, scrub cattle, ducks, bustars, crow, quail, pigeons, emu, Goana and few snakes. Although some game tastes better then other, when you are hungry everything tastes good.
Forget about eating game meat cooked rare, it must be well done. Then you are safe from any parasites. If you have a dog, don't feed him raw game meat,or bones.
Goat can be cooked same way as lamb or mutton. Roo and emu minced makes good lean hamburger and roo is also good for stews.
Karl

Goats and pigs can all be OK...

Goat curry is good... Slow cook if you want.... A good goat roast is to die for... And kid is even better.

As to Pigs... In the good season when they are into the grain and other good tucker, they are usually fine...

Always best to check for any obvious issues and I would tend to over cook, rather than raw...

In the dry or hard times, they will eat carrion etc and that can be a problem....

If was a choice of starve or eat - Would eat without a second thought...

Some of the farmer are now harvesting wild goats to keep them going so if on their property ask.
Billies are a bit tainted. Young is best. Better than lamb.
Pigs get cross if only wounded, take care.
Deer season closed, NSW.

Karl, aren't the last 4 on the list under the protected species list and a no go to hunt for?

Ramjet said:
We used to hunt wild pig and goat for the European market. Roo is ok as well. Made some roo jerky recently.

What particular cut do you think works best?

I found backstrap best Wally, if I get pigs, deer or goat for dinner I get the youngens, more tender and less chance of worms apparently, but as said check internals

Matturbo said:
I found backstrap best Wally, if I get pigs, deer or goat for dinner I get the youngens, more tender and less chance of worms apparently, but as said check internals

Thanks Matt, my brother does venison backstrap but was not sure if the roos backstraps were big enough due to their different muscle configuration.

About 45 years ago only protected species were humans.
:lol: Humans are probably the only ones that aren't protected now. Used to know an old bloke many years ago who lived in a tin shack with a dirt floor and slept on a bed made from what looked like to me potato sacks strung across a wood frame he made. Tough old fella. But he was as happy as. He told me his favourite meal was campfire roasted Galah's. He'd tell me "you gotta singe the feathers over the flames first though before cleaning them to cook, sometimes a lot of lice". I sometimes remember him when a flock flies over head.

Thanks guys. So check the liver and make sure to cook well. Sounds awesome. Next animal that falls victim to my roo bar is on the grill.

Latest posts