Camping around Majors Creek & Araluan Valley

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone done any camping around Majors Crk & Araluan Valley (NSW), looking at doing some panning & swinging.?
Mark

Hi Mark, I'm guessing no one on here has ever been camping around that area so I found some info on exploreaustralia.net.au that you might be interested in.

It might also be worth giving the Braidwood Tourist Information Centre a call as they might be able provide you with more info.

exploreaustralia.net.au said:
Nestled in a picturesque valley at the foot of Mt Araluen, Araluen is a small town known for its peaceful charm and stone-fruit orchards. The village is 24 km south of Braidwood and 72 km west of Moruya on the south coast. The camping area is at the junction of the AraluenBraidwood and Majors Creek rds. Its a simple set-up but you can swim in the river, let your dog run free, and enjoy a barbecue picnic for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Bring your own drinking water and firewood.

Contact information

Who to contact: Braidwood Tourist Information Centre (02) 4842 1144

62335-1000x800.jpg

Source: http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/New-South-Wales/South-Coast/Araluen/Araluen-Creek-camping-area#

Hi markhowl 59.....Great areas in the Araluen /Majors Creek but a lot of private property. the road from Araluen to Moruya on the coast.follows the creak for many ks and has good camping spots along it's length.....Ok for panning but not coarse enough for detecting. If your in that area you are better off at Oalen Ford as you'll get 20 - 30 flakes in every pan and you don't have to dig far as it is mainly flood gold. Most people just camp at the crossing ...But if you do go there just PM me and i'll give you some directions to a spot nearby that is heaps better than the crossing....good luck..Cheers Wal.

I haven't camped at Araluen, but have been there 4WD'ing when I used to live on the South coast. It is a beautiful spot and well worth the visit. Didn't do any detecting or panning. Wal certainly sounds like he has a handle on the place.

i was reading about the gold mine that will be going in at majors creek I hear that it will be a very wealth mine. I'm not sure if i am correct in saying this but apparently an average mine gets between 3-4 grams of gold per 10 tonne of soil they move and for this particual mine it will be up to 6 to 8.
so i guess the area could be quite worth while.

I to would be intrested in those spots Wal and Liz. when i get to 10 posts.

thank you

Jordan.

The road from Majors Creek/Araluen to the coast is very picturesque but was VERY rough last time I was down there, but a beautiful drive in spite of the road.I imagine there would be some great spots to use sluices etc as the stream had plenty of flow & fall

Latest posts