Camp lighting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys I will be going camping soon and need so info on camp lighting, looking at getting maybe a LED lantern or such, anyone recommend something.

hi go on ebay and get led light stripes that plug into a 12v they dont use much power

I Agree with Norm.

$_57.JPG

I like LED lights for ease of use, ease of access and functionality...

But don't be confused... They chew power....

We run fluro tubes off an old kit project and can run a number for ages and not have battery issues... We only use LED lighting when running or for short times.

Ive been using the good ol hurricane kero lamps for quite a while and I'm over it with them so looking to switch to something cleaner bit more brighter. LED strips look interesting will check them out...thanks fellas

I went from hurricane lamps to gas lamps to electric with standard fancy-round or pilot lamps and then to electric with 4 watt LED lamps which throw out about as much light as a standard 60 watt lamp. I am sold on these because I can run them for days on a single charge (I have a 36AH battery with an inverter).

I also have two short and two long LED strip lights that are normally used under kitchen cupboards to light up the benchtops. These are light, compact, use next to nothing in power and can take a mild amount of punishment. I use these in the tents as they aren't water resistant.

Electricity is safer than gas and fuel. The abovementioned inverter has replaced about four gas cylinders and the hurricane lamps and kerosene that goes with them. I only carry one 4kg cylinder these days for the barbeque.

I had a caravan, I've tested the down lights that were in it, they were 10W QH @ 12VDC. each light chewed 0.9 AH, so 1 light for 5 hours = 4.5 AH.

I replaced all of them with LED down lights and now all 10 of them switched on use less than 1 AH. The van was lit up like "Crystal Palace".

LED lighting is the most efficient and lowest power consumption per Lumen you can get, most have a life cycle of 100,000 hours.

The big thing about them is you get what you pay for. The good quality LED lights will use less power than the cheapies, last longer and give a better quality light.

The new van I just bought has LEDs all round inside and out, except.... over the sink was a 8W fluro. I discovered on the Laanacoorie bash that it wasn't working so I bought a new tube, it still didn't work after replacing it, so I bought a LED light, half the length that puts out much more light and threw the fluro in the bin.

The LED works very well.

BTW LED spotlights will use more power, but for a camping light you don't need a spotty.

Headlamps are fine if you're by yourself. Our Cocker Spaniel goes crazy if someone walks around with a torch or headband light. He just doesn't understand "why is it so??" Makes life a bit uncomfortable in a van park. I am using colour LED light at home this Xmas (sorry bout the abbrev.)
Last forever and cheap to run.
Jaros.

Latest posts