Camera to watch camp

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased one of these types of cameras for this purpose last year and while it worked ok in daylight, the IR lighting wasn't really good enough and the thing chewed through AA batteries.

So if possible get some feedback from someone who has used the actual brand name and type that you are looking at.

Rob P.

limpalot said:
Was thinking of getting a small camera for camp security. Looked at Wifi Wireless SPY IP R camera kit on ebay for $30, any one got any ideas.
Very compact and motion sensor.
Could you be a little more detailed?
Do you want a camera to record events while you are away, or to watch live?
What price are you prepared to spend, ie do you want something connected to the mobile network with a plan etc or looking for low budget?
I often strap camera's in trees around my camp, they commonly pick up foxes wild dogs etc, I never hear a thing, but they are there.

https://www.cctvaustralia.com.au/trail-cameras/link-4g-trail-camera.html
LINK-4G%20Trail%20Camera%20inside%20front%20view-345x345.jpg

Sends images to your phone and internal.

As far as stand alone cameras go buy the best quality you can afford, going the cheap option to save a dollar will cost you in the end imo.

Security is achieved through peace of mind mostly, that said the cheap units will help you get to that peace of mind false security. The specific point of security cameras is to get a visual of the offender/s. So the better the quality of camera the better visual the police have to make prosecution should the offender/s be caught.

What is the main purpose for buying security camera/s.

To capture footage of an offender/s.

What is your intended purpose once you have the footage, 1) report to police or 2)deal with it yourself. Option 2 is not the advice I'd offer option 1 is the best choice imo

Either way the police want to be sure of a positive ID your camera has provided. Anything less is a waste of time imo. Your camera won't prevent you from loosing your possessions but will provide critical information should it be required. Like a good detector quality gets /gives results.

OzzieAu said:
Cheapest option would be to string up a few "SMILE, YOU ARE BEING VIDEOED" signs around camp. Probably act as a deterrent before they act any further. Who's to say???....
done the same before, left a large clear note on a4 paper sitting on dash of van to"out hunting and smile your on camera"

I've never considered having a camera around camp as Ive never had anything taken. Is stuff being stolen from campsites fairly common? Whenever I camp I rarely leave the vicinity of the campsite. If I have to then I dont think I picked a good spot. But I understand some people might use a camp as a base then maybe go out every day.

LC76 said:

Really liking that cam.

It's amazing how difficult these cams are to spot when you're not looking for them. Set one up down a firetrail one time to catch a group of idiots who kept ramming the gate down and running a muck with 4x4's. Cam was in plain sight strapped to a tree. Forgot about the cam for 3 months and expected it to be gone when I returned to collect it. Was still there! Hundreds of people had walked by it none the wiser.

nuggetino said:
Set one up down a firetrail one time to catch a group of idiots who kept ramming the gate down and running a muck with 4x4's. Cam was in plain sight strapped to a tree. Forgot about the cam for 3 months and expected it to be gone when I returned to collect it. Was still there! Hundreds of people had walked by it none the wiser.

Or lots of people saw it and just left it there. People are mostly good. If I came across a trailcam I would leave it there...as would most people.

PotOfGold said:
I've never considered having a camera around camp as Ive never had anything taken. Is stuff being stolen from campsites fairly common? Whenever I camp I rarely leave the vicinity of the campsite. If I have to then I dont think I picked a good spot. But I understand some people might use a camp as a base then maybe go out every day.

Never had anything stolen either. The best spot sometimes is limited to as far in as you can get with a 4x4. For me the cam is more about building a healthy awareness of what's going on at my camp. I try to keep my camp out of site, and out of mind when I'm out bush in WA but can't be too careful with possible shady characters out there. I like to know if someone knows where I'm camping. Even if they're nice people they might go to the pub and tell someone about the guy camped near this place. I'll generally move camp if I've been discovered just as a precaution. More often than not though I don't capture any human activity on cam just a bunch of inquisitive wildlife.

Maybe a dashcam with your car pointed at the tent, that way they can't rip your camera off too unless the break into your car
Battery power, on/off switch or motion censored with a solar panel to keep battery power

I'd be interested in getting one solely for the purpose of capturing the wildlife. I'm sure I'd be surprised at what pokes around camp during the night or when Im down the creek or whatever. I think it would be cool to see. Probably not cool enough for me to justify the expense so I probably wont do it, but I do like the idea.

Wildlife as we know it, is pretty used to us these days.
When i was on a houseboat on Tin Can Bay Qld. we were near to Fraser Island near some mainland camp spots and what we saw happen when the campers left their tents would make your eyes pop.
The dingoes would come into camp happy as you like and go looking into tents and bins looking for food whilst the campers would be swimming and fishing no more than 30-50 mtrs away. Very entertaining- for us that is.
You're right POG you would get some interesting pics.
Jaros :p

Thank you all, was thinking of a small camera set up in tent on back of trailer for power, does not take much gear to add up to $k. Never had a problem in past, just over thinking??? If you are in a group it's not as bad as on your own. Years ago I'd camp out in the bush any where with my mate .22 beside me. Must be getting old and sensmile. Wait till the parkasins kicks in and I won't even find my camp then. Bread crumbs or maker paint - where did I put it. :eek: :lol:

For the night issue adding a led spotlight to the motion sensor would make the bugger run you'd at least get the getaway footage :lol: could be funny to watch him trip over something and hurt him hurt himself, could be a good YOUTUBE winner
or I was wondering myself if a small 12v battery pack with the solar panel for charging, motion sensored, light for night then a sneaky mount in a plumbers tube on the roof rack would be the last place I'd expect one to be hiding in

B5MECH said:
For the night issue adding a led spotlight to the motion sensor would make the bugger run you'd at least get the getaway footage :lol: could be funny to watch him trip over something and hurt him hurt himself, could be a good YOUTUBE winner
or I was wondering myself if a small 12v battery pack with the solar panel for charging, motion sensored, light for night then a sneaky mount in a plumbers tube on the roof rack would be the last place I'd expect one to be hiding in

Haha Id like to see that. If anyone uploads that vid to youtube I will be sure to watch it :)

Latest posts