Button ID help required

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day to all..
I had the opportunity this weekend to do some detecting work on private property at Majors Creek which has history of the gold rush and Chinese working the area.

Found a hot spot with a lots of square nails and what looks to be rivets and in one spot we pulled out of the one hole three brass buttons (badly deteriorated) , so we are trying to get a time line. One button is looks to have some wording on one side that looks like

Crowley & Co. or possibly CR Owley & Co. or CP Owley and Co.

Can also just make out some more text that looks like

Tent

On the other side there looks to be text that says

London, the letter L is a guess as but defiantly the "ondon" is legible

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, any help greatly appreciated..

Is anyone on the forum able to assist in IDing these button so we can get a bit of a time line?
1404635016_image.jpg

1404635016_image.jpg

1404635017_image.jpg

May have (possibly) found a timeframe, the text on the button should read

"C Rowley &Co, the word "Tent" should be read as "Patent"

Charles Rowley commenced 30th September 1831 and operated as C Rowley & Co from 1855 through until 1865 at 23-24 Newall St Birmingham.

Above information sourced Crome the below link

http://www.buttoncrs.com/articfol/charlesrowley.html

So, with the above information I can estimate the period of the button being made, so I think I could jump to the conclusion that the buttons made there way to Majors Creek somewhere in the latter half of the 1800's which would fit into the documented history of the property.

Just to add to the history of the property, there is a water race that was constructed by the Chinese that runs for about 1 km (on this property alone) and in some places it is carved through solid rock. It also continues through the neighboring property.

Latest posts