Bridle Track Hill End NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its scary looking down when driving there in some sections, let alone the hanging rocks perched right above!

The bridle track certainly needs respect, Pen and I spent 9 day there, enjoy the peace and quit, when driving just watch the road,
don't know what's coming at you

From Hill End, I was down there a few months back. What ya looking for? Camped down at the water top spot!

Last I heard it was closed near hill End due to rock slide.
Best bet would be contact the Bathurst Regional Council. I'm pretty sure it falls under their region.

Hi Twapster,

Did you see anything resembling rock slides and closures. I think from memory it was Monaghans Bluff, which is near Hill End

Twapster said:
From Hill End, I was down there a few months back. What ya looking for? Camped down at the water top spot!
Yeah I wanna head about 7km outside of hill end, I can see a nice campground with some nice bed rock not to far from the camping area (half hour hike) :D

http://heatgg.org.au/he/hill-end-story/where-is-hill-end/ said:
"Bridle Track, which is only suitable for 4 wheel drives, is currently impassable due to a rockfall at Monaghans Bluff, about 17kms from Hill End. This historic track, used by the early miners, and which follows the Macquarie and Turon Rivers from Duramana to Hill End, was an important route and it is hoped that it will eventually be reopened."

I can confirm the Bridle Track is still closed due to the landslip at Monaghan's Bluff. Apart from the track being closed for about a kilometre either side of the missing section of road the Bridle Track is still open and all camping areas and the Randwick Hole fishing spot are still accessible.

Here are a few photos taken by me last time I was in the area. I walked up the track from the boomgate rather than driving - even if one was to survive the drive it is still illegal to drive past a 'Road Closed' notice and I have seen police on the lower section of the track. It pays to obey the law, and the walk is nice anyway.

1413802387_bridle-track-1-120813.jpg

1413802422_bridle-track-2-120813.jpg

1413802451_bridle-track-3-120813.jpg

I doubt that Bathurst Council will ever be able to provide funding for this themselves though I think they owe it to those who enjoy holidaying in the area to apply for a Commonwealth grant to fix it, or if it can't be fixed then purchase some adjacent land at the top of the cliff and bypass the landslip. The rest of the track is in good condition for a road that no longer seems to receive any maintenance.

In years gone by it was always a novelty to camp at Hill End and come home via the Bridle Track. Despite the advisory signs recommending 4x4-only, it (the parts that are still open to vehicles) can still be travelled in a standard car if the driver is careful not to bottom out on the rocky sections.

Hey Kuskus,
Was out there thursday friday before the october long weekend. You have to come in via Hillend as road block is down Bathurst end of the Bridle Track. You can also come from Bathurst way through a track called the Roothog Firetrail but you have to cross the river at Roothog crossing. To get to the beginning of Roothog trail take the Eglington Rd west of Bathurst over the Macquarie River to Eglington then turn left onto Wellington street this changes to Freemantle Rd, continue on until rd forks then keep right on Freemantle rd (left Gowan rd right Freemantle rd) then 5-6km further on there is a turn off to the right this is the start of the Roothog track. Follow this and it crosses the Macquarie river and now your on the Bridle Track. My brother called out through that way and said he didnt even have to go in2 4wd (track graded and river quite low). However i checked the river level online 2 days ago and it had gone up about 300mm (not to bad). Plenty of camp spots along the Turon and Macquarie Rivers (Turon River being the cleaner of the 2) and gold in both rivers and up into the gullies. Beware of snakes as i saw a couple of Browns out there. Bathurst council is looking at purchasing a piece of land to reroute the track around the bluff. The blockage is 17km in from Hillend so plenty of track and river there. Hope this helps.

Cracka

How did you go kuskus, any panning done?

I was looking at the intersection of Turon River, it seemed the best spot for some panning.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks

Jeff

Latest posts