Bogenes settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
would like to hear if anyone has heard about theses settings for the gpx4500 and gpx5000s
maybe could also be used for other detectors,not quite sure
nuts and bolts of it is you turn your threshold right down or off and this allows you to turn your gain and stabiliser up to the moon
any thoughts?

thank you Gcause I knew I had seen the article somewhere but I couldn't remember where?
Have you tried the settings and if so did you have any luck?
I met a prospector who told me that was all he used and he had been quite successful
I tried it , pretty weird with no threshold noise
didn't bag any gold though

No haven't tried them myself but I will give it a go one day if I get a chance to try that is with work. It does look like an interesting technique even better if it does what thy say it does :D

I read that whole 15 page thread..
What a bunch of tools! Bickering and carrying on!
Im glad nugget filters the scum from entering PA

I will try the 'no threshold' trick next time i'm out.
Reeko

From what I gather you need to turn the threshold right down and then the gain up to max as that will bring back some audible threshold. Intereting, I'll give it a go sometime too. So there in theory there still should be some threshold hum but a very low stable one.

it seems that it may have been the noise of the detector
some say turn the threshold down others say turn it off
I have tried both but unfortunately had no success
going to the golden triangle next weekend ,will try it there on an old patch and see what happens wish me luck
as for the bickering on that other forum, unbelievable!
seems all the comments on this forum are excellent!
keep up the good work everybody

just had an afterthought
who ever tries these settings let us know how you fair
would be interesting to see how these settings go with the 4500s and 5000s

g'day
if you have no threshold base level, it's impossible to hear the drop in threshold on large deep nuggets as there's no threshold to drop.
it will work on easy gold because you should still get the rise side of the signal, but you will miss good gold.
regards

in the original post they seem to think that they wont miss good gold
the results from others seemed to be very good
however this was nearly 6 years ago so things may have changed
In an earlier post gcause gives you the link (worth a look) they suggested it worked on deep targets also
anyhoo its good to see opinions coming
I tried it for a while about a year ago,its hard to get used to no sound however did find a bullet at about a foot
I know that's no proof but it does show that it does at least pick up a target at depth
I suppose the proof will be in the pudding, or not!
I am game to try it as the last few times Ive been out have only found a penny

mardymoose said:
in the original post they seem to think that they wont miss good gold
the results from others seemed to be very good
however this was nearly 6 years ago so things may have changed
In an earlier post gcause gives you the link (worth a look) they suggested it worked on deep targets also
anyhoo its good to see opinions coming
I tried it for a while about a year ago,its hard to get used to no sound however did find a bullet at about a foot
I know that's no proof but it does show that it does at least pick up a target at depth
I suppose the proof will be in the pudding, or not!
I am game to try it as the last few times Ive been out have only found a penny

give it ago mate you might like it...... the gold you miss won't bother you, cause you won't know it's there.
a bullet at a foot is one of the easy ones that you will get

looking at what your finding is no indication of what your missing.....that comes when someone else comes along and cleans up.
best of luck with it
regards tm

so true, as I said haven't found any with those settings but will be interesting to go over an old patch and see what turns up (hopefully)
All the gold was shallow a gram or less
probably an ideal place to give it a go
will keep you posted as to the outcome

I'll give it test 1 day just out of interest but I don't think I'd actually go seriously detecting with those settings unless testing proved very positive.

The threshold is your reference tone as to what the detector is actually detecting. If there is no threshold tone then you will not hear a target signal unless it is big enough to give a proper response which is a volume rise and pitch change in the tone, you will probably miss any slight warble which could be a good target at the limit of detection, which give almost no volume rise and just a slight change in pitch. It will probably seem the detector is quieter with less ground noise but that is just a loss of info.

Also with any boosting in any audio system there is always a trade-off between system noise and signal response, calibrating is very important. Turning the gain up to max will bring up the system noise floor which could mask a very slight signal. So in reality you are calibrating the 5000 for different conditions everytime you go into the field, having so many settings gives you the ability to calibrate for nearly any situation.

The 5000 itself is very quiet, it's outside conditions which can make it noisy. If you want to hear the system noise in a 5000 you would probably put a DD coil on it, switch to cancel mode so there is no interference and turn the gain to max and target response up also with the threshold down. I have not done it but any system noise with those settings should be apparent.

Just my thoughts.

I value all the thoughts that have been shared and feel the same in that it could be a problem with the deep targets
I cannot speak from experience as I have not recovered any deep gold not through lack of trying
These settings are something I have tried intermittently as I said with no success, but that does not mean I wont try it again
Perhaps the point here is if you do get what you think is a faint signal try the setting and see whether it does pick up the signal
Post your results here as I am sure it would interest a lot of fellow prospectors
The original post was some 6 years ago, technology has changed, coil preferences have changed so who knows what effect that would have on the whole process

Ok here goes,
was out this weekend in the golden triangle area
had been raining during the week and the ground was quite damp
I decided to try bogenes settings for the weekend and see what happened
the results were inconclusive
I did manage to snag a 1.8 grammer at about 6inches
the thing that was quite freaky was to detect and have no threshold sound, took a bit of getting used to
I felt that it was quite sensitive and continously used my .5 gram test piece to see if I still had a signal
It was hard going as I kept getting target signals but most of the time it was just red clay
Any way I will try the settings again next time I go out and will report back with the results
wish me luck

Latest posts