blast furnace

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all cleaned up pete, if you hit the you tube button you can embed your videos right here
1454971447_yt.png

The furnaces work really well pete. I reccomend you use a high grade refractory cement rated at as close to 2000C if you want yhe unit to last a long time as the heat and cooling forces cracking unless you have the time to anneal each use. Chinese crucibles ( graphite ) are the safest if you have the cash as most items at home...the bottom drops out after a few melts...which is never nice. Adding an alloy rio will help support its strength as well. :)

thanks guys still have problems doing things on a pc lol all hieroglyphics to me lol

I have been wanting to make a furnace myself, Just a question, does anyone know a supplier they would recommend for the high temp. cement?

Roscoe said:
I have been wanting to make a furnace myself, Just a question, does anyone know a supplier they would recommend for the high temp. cement?
Yep pizza oven or ceramics / clay / pottery suppliers Roscoe. My mate bought some $100 p/bag hig temp cement rated to 2600c but check it it has a moisture remover like perlite. Another mate of mine used vermiculite but it retains moisture and causes cracking in the plaster.

We ended up using waste oil furnaces made from simple firebrick cut to shape, but then with oil, you must comp3nsate its carbon content. Steel will gain more carbon...carbon will prevent oxidation of other metals like gold and alloy...etc

Think of safety. If you making knifes and swords..you want big easy access to the flame and able to fit the whole length of steel in the fire. For crucibles / smelting, I prefur for the whole unit to tip and pour, rather than having to fiddle with picking up the crucible with tongs

Latest posts