Big bottle find in the Hunter Valley

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
;) Thursday 19/11/15.Myself and Dan Swinging the Detectors in a New location near Maitland.ONE of the holes i dug revealed a large amount of old Bottles.Found my First Pre-dec coin,1936 penny and various other items.6x$1.00 Coins,lots and lots of bottles,Dexal?,Pick me up sauce?,All sizes!!!.Miners pans and Pick.A lot of dets?.Zing can maybe army issue?Trash and various other items i have no idea about?Maybe you might know.Please find pictures.Overall a Great Day.Regards Jason.

1448097592_img_0410.jpg
1448097603_img_0414.jpg

Looks like a lot of not too old junk. A house probably was nearby and this was at the back door where they threw thier rubbish

Batteries, mustard jars, detol, medicines etc. Could also be an old miners dump too from 60s - ish

If that's a milk bottle I see, that's $15-$20 straight up. The metal pans are just old cooking pans..looks like you found a wedgeand possibly a rocker arm off an old 6hp stationary engine.

Read the plastic packets in your junk and look them up on google to better date the dump site. Hope this helped

Keep your eyes open for old intact boots, bottles with a marble in them and toxic / poison bottles. Also see if you can find a whole plate with blue paintings. As fun as it is, I know what dump searching can be like, and if you can, try to keep it clean if its near waterways. I take a wheely bin for the rubbish nowdays so I can't be blamed for making a mess

Nightjar said:
Looks like old telephone batteries on the left, we used to use the carbon rod out of them as crayons.
These batteries I've found in every dump site. Very common for use in many appliances. Most the time they are the old Everready or Black Cat batteries. I use the rods sometimes for science experiments using them as electrodes

M
AtomRat said:
Looks like a lot of not too old junk. A house probably was nearby and this was at the back door where they threw thier rubbish

Batteries, mustard jars, detol, medicines etc. Could also be an old miners dump too from 60s - ish

If that's a milk bottle I see, that's $15-$20 straight up. The metal pans are just old cooking pans..looks like you found a wedgeand possibly a rocker arm off an old 6hp stationary engine.

Read the plastic packets in your junk and look them up on google to better date the dump site. Hope this helped

Keep your eyes open for old intact boots, bottles with a marble in them and toxic / poison bottles. Also see if you can find a whole plate with blue paintings. As fun as it is, I know what dump searching can be like, and if you can, try to keep it clean if its near waterways. I take a wheely bin for the rubbish nowdays so I can't be blamed for making a mess
Thanks mate for info some Great help there.Everything is cleaned and disposed properly.A few of the brown bottles are marked poisonous .Old batteries,thought they were railway detonator.Some are marked 1963 and a nice Dexal bottle with lid .Did not know milk bottles were worth anything.thanks again

Oh. Wear gloves and mabey a mask. Asbestos is very common in these sort of sites as well as all the other nasty stuff. Watch out for hyperdermic needles and hope you had a tetnus shot for all the tin cans rusted away. ( check the tin cans for goodies )

If you find bottles with medicine ir tablets still in them..be careful. I have no idea what some of them are. Funnily, many are cures for siffilus :lol:

Gday Jason,.....One day the screw top bottles will come into their own,... as every one discards and recycles them just because they are screwtops,... as Australia gets its great cleanup over the ages these types of bottles will be overlooked as worthy of keeping in the process,... as we will end up being a mostly plastic society eventually, until the oil and coal runs really low,... then we will go back to glass bottles and paper bags again,.... so I recon you may be onto something,.... although old screwtop bottles with the top and labels still on them from inside old garages etc would be even better to collect(if you were going to collect them at all), as they would have the potential of better worth over time. :D

Good point silver. Canada and San Fransico have recently just banned plastic bottles.

Something I don't understand though unless its just too costly is that plastic bottles are made from oil, therefore you can burn and crack the plastic back into oil ( fuel ).....

AtomRat said:
Good point silver. Canada and San Fransico have recently just banned plastic bottles.

Something I don't understand though unless its just too costly is that plastic bottles are made from oil, therefore you can burn and crack the plastic back into oil ( fuel ).....
And they won't want us having free fuel will they ! :eek: