Best shoes for detecting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering what a good detecting shoe is, also if anyone uses snake guards, thanks

I wear Merrell Refuge Mid Core (Hiking Boots) http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/25948M/59636/Mens/Refuge-Core-Mid-Waterproof, these are unbelievably lightweight, comfortable and durable, they're also waterproof. I liked the feel of them so much I ended up buying a second pair as backup. Cost from memory was around $160 a pair from an eBay shoe joint.

1381627476_merrell.jpg

For Gaiters, I use Sea to Summit (Quagmire Canvas Gaiters) http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products-page/gaiters/quagmire-canvas-gaiters. Cost was $80 delivered from Adventure Gear Albury http://www.adventuregearonline.com.au. I wear them pretty much whenever I'm out bush but can't vouch for their ability to stop snake bites as I've never tested that theory.

1381628596_gaiter-quagmire_event.jpg

G'day kirkn,

Lots of different combos available depending on what type of detecting you do. A decent pair of runners is all you need for beach / park work, whereas on the other side of the fence those runners will be lacking if your chasing gold in serious country.

A decent ankle high set of work boots without steel caps is the go when chasing gold and i find the slip on versions better than the lace up versions. Dense scrub seems to always untie my laces and I'm too lazy to tie a double knot in the laces. :/

I don't use snake guards and prefer a baggy pair of long trousers instead. I have a good mate who was a snake handler for the Nat Zoo and Aquarium and and he advised me that the chances of a snake biting you on the shins is extremely low. A decent pair of strong leather (ankle high) work boots and "loose" lower leg trousers are more efficient. ;) ( but snake guards are an individual choice )

Cheers Wal.

I agree with Wal. I was told that when a snake strikes they quickly shut their mouth on contact, so if you're wearing loose legged jeans it most likely wont get through to your leg. I wear Gaiters for piece of mind really as well preventing creepy crawlies from climbing up the inside of my pants, they also prevent my laces from undoing ;)

Just make sure your boots have no metal on them, as a big coil will pick it up. Both the pictures Nugget posted appear to have metal eyelets, a VLF with small coil is ok, but these wouldn't be usable with a gpx and 18" coil.
I don't use gators when detecting as I have never needed them, when highbanking I wear gumboots which are good enough.

DD

I can confirm the metal in my the boots and gaiters don't interfere with Garrett VLF's, even when using a large concentric coil. I've waved the coil just near them (not over them) with no response. I do agree with DD in that they would most likely interfere with a GPX or other highly sensitive PI detectors.

thanks, i have a pair of blundstone plastic tips, but they set off my gpx,

I use blundstone for work & detecting (non steelcap ) you can lift the inner soul & dig out the steel plate they insert into the centre of the boot for strength? & does not seem to affect structure of the footwear, more importantly it rids them of all metal.

A lot of NON Steel cap Boots still have a steel reinforcing rod down the centre of the sole.
I use Redbacks which do not have it,
many other brands may not too, ask before you buy, then run your detector over them when in the field
to get confirmation.

Hello Kirkn,

I use a GPX5000 with a 14" nugget finder coil and found that many hiking boots have a alloy bar in the sole, not to mention the steel lace buckles.
I purchased some Oliver AT ( all terrain ) composite boots, kevlar lace buckles and fibreglass toe and totally non metalic.
The part number is 45632C a high boot with great ankle support soft sole and great on rocky ground,cost around 120 bucks or so.

No noise at all from them, www.oliver.com.au.

Cheers

Steve.

We wear redback boots they are great for walking over rocks no sore feet and don't use snake guards, I myself have never seen a snake yet (touch wood), and my partner has only ever seen one while detecting. :D

i wear bates boots. got them over here on a clearance sale off ebay from melbourne. totally metal free, very light and extremely comfortable.

Double pluggers for the tough terrain, singles are ok on the flat...
:D Redbacks mate...
Seriously...

I wear Redbacks as well, no metal in them what's so every, very comfortable, can not stand any thing with laces any more. to slow to put on and off....roscoe

Try for anything that offers good traction and stability on wet stone and wet wood. Waterproof if possible, good ankle support. No metal preferably. And i guess most importantly, comfortable to your own foot.

Nice gaiters too, Nugget. Thanks and Hi.
I would actually like a decent set of gaiters over gumboots (kevlar if possible) for snake protection. Should be safe enough for me to chase them :) jk..

Not exactly a shoe, but i really really like waders. They keep me warm and dry and well protected. Offer good ankle support, reduce snag ups etc. and also double as webbing to hang gear off. No metal parts or buckles to worry about either. And you can walk straight up or down creeks faster then thought the scrub at times, so a time saver too. they may be too hot to wear for extended periods in hot climates. But down here, they are the bees knees.

Summer boots, mine are like nuggets, i have Colorados and they have lasted 10 years. So pretty good value for money overall.

Redbacks - bib and brace overalls - flanny shirt - drizabone short coat for winter. For those who have ever been to Dunolly, this is slightly over-dressed.
No cams.

for detecting my money is on redbacks and only ware gaiters if in prickly ground or wet bushes to keep bottom half of my legs dry.
regards trashmagnet