Best places to look for gold New south wales.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am from Sydney but I don't mind travelling 3-4 hours to the area. My problem is I don't have a single clue where to go.. I was thinking of going to Bathurst but where in bathurst? I haven't been there before and wouldn't know where to go..

If anyone can maybe give me like a link of the exact location of the area where people have found gold or there is gold for that matter, that would be great. Only thing I know is how to read GPS and Lets hope my gps takes me to the area where gold is found. =) :p

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1571

Check out the map on the link above. Will give you some places as starting points to look into further.

If you let us know how you want to search for the gold I.e. detector, panning, sluice etc. we can be a bit more specific about where to try. In my opinion you can't go past Hill End as a starting point. There is plenty of history to check out plus a fossicking area @ Tambaroora where you can have a go detecting plus the creek will always give you a couple of specs if panning.

Thank you for the link and comment.

I have another question. How far can gold travel? I have this park where it has like a stream which the water goes to Georges river. It might sound ridiculous but you think there could be any gold in there? I highly doubt it though, its a dirty looking water. It's called Endeavour Sports Reserve, Fairfield West, New South Wales, if you type this in on google map it;ll show you the place. When you see the red flag you just go down a bit and where all the houses are and the park its in between them (you;ll see a row of trees) there's a stream or whatever you call it.

Well there was no gold in that creek adjacent storm water outlet leading from the middle car park - no coins, no rings, no nuggets. Coin shooting around the netball courts and football field has only turned up a matchbox car. IMHO the geography of our area is all wrong for gold (yep - i live near that reserve as well).

Wow didnt expect to find someone that close to my area. I feel the pain mate, where would you go to find gold, I mean this place is just dead as and like the bad part is even if you got to a place like bathurst where on earth are you going to go to find gold, its not like every road or land is covered in gold.

I feel ya pain mate !
I live in Bathurst
And would love the land and roads to be covered with gold :lol:
But weres the fun in that
I find the fun is being out in the bush
And my long hrs upon hrs of research and waking and digging pay off :)
But truth be told most of the really good areas are on private property
And it's hard to get access !
Even when your a local on every goldfield
Within 150 km
But if you concentrate on the small areas of crown land
That have diggings on or near them
You will eventually find a nugget or three .
But it takes research patients and persistence
There are a few of us locals that get a little nearly every trip out
Go low and slow learn your detector
And the ground your on after researching it
And you won't go wrong ;)

i hope to ride up to hill end / turon for a bit of a poke around in a few weeks if the weather loves me, that will be my second outing - reckon I will have another 50-100 to go before I get a glimmer of gold, besides which my detector (Bounty Hunter 4) is more for relics & coins, but what the heck - i have a nice collection of odds & sods coming together. There's a google earth file in one of the top sections on the forum, I loaded that into my gps so will just see what comes up in my travels. other than that you have 2 options either research or just stalk someone that knows what they are doing

I've found some shallow over the 2 gram mark at hillend

And I could have found it with a cheap Tandy detector
So if your out there swinging
Your in with a chance
Considering a lot of seasoned prospectors walk away from screamers !
And some are going to be gold

Iam in the same boat as others living in Sydney, yes it will take 3 or 4 hours to get to the gold fields but thats the price for your hobby.
I have been to the Hill End area several times with little luck to date but will ba back.

It took me 12 months of 3 days a week to find my first nugget at hillend
Considering its over a hundred km round trip daily
There was a lot of expense
To find one
But some find it quicker !
The more I went out the more I enjoyed myself
And quality time in the bush
Getting to know my machines and the ground I was searching
:)
And I don't regret a minute of it

Lbg dreamer said:
It took me 12 months of 3 days a week to find my first nugget at hillend
Considering its over a hundred km round trip daily
There was a lot of expense
To find one
But some find it quicker !
The more I went out the more I enjoyed myself
And quality time in the bush
Getting to know my machines and the ground I was searching
:)
And I don't regret a minute of it

Thanks lbg
Research research research. Then a lot of perseverance is the go.

You may stumble upon a Nugget your first time out... but probably not :)

Rod

Gold or no gold I love the bush and the hunt, it's the cold that upsets me. Goldfields are'nt that far for us Sydney guys just gotta get up an hour earlier and beat the traffic.

This post mirrors exactly what I want to know. Locations to detect would be nice, finding coins is all well and good but gold would be in another league entirely!

Yalwal is not too far from Sydney, anyone familiar with gold in this area? Or the Mogo area? Or Bathurst?

Tillek said:
i hope to ride up to hill end / turon for a bit of a poke around in a few weeks if the weather loves me, that will be my second outing - reckon I will have another 50-100 to go before I get a glimmer of gold, besides which my detector (Bounty Hunter 4) is more for relics & coins, but what the heck - i have a nice collection of odds & sods coming together. There's a google earth file in one of the top sections on the forum, I loaded that into my gps so will just see what comes up in my travels. other than that you have 2 options either research or just stalk someone that knows what they are doing

We should go together, I can help you find and whatever you find is yours. I just want the experience haha see the places to get going. I cant do research cause I dont know what to do research on..

Lbg dreamer said:
I've found some shallow over the 2 gram mark at hillend

And I could have found it with a cheap Tandy detector
So if your out there swinging
Your in with a chance
Considering a lot of seasoned prospectors walk away from screamers !
And some are going to be gold

How far do you guys travel, my god.. I mean I live in Fairfield and anywhere that people mention about gold is hours upon hours away and even if I got there like.. where do you go next? do I turn the first street I see.. Do I stop at the first place I see a bush lol

ronsfolly said:
Iam in the same boat as others living in Sydney, yes it will take 3 or 4 hours to get to the gold fields but thats the price for your hobby.
I have been to the Hill End area several times with little luck to date but will ba back.

any chance you give me a google map link to the area you went too.. not the exact just so I got a general idea of which direction I should head too once I get to the main suburb.

Some say theres gold around richmond, which would be sweeeet (47mins drive) but... doubt it or could there be some gold? hmmmmm :eek:

Mate you just need to get out there. Visitor information centre's, general stores, pubs, caravan parks etc. can all be good places to enquire.
Some places within 3-4 hours of Sydney or thereabouts that I know of (there are others south too):
Sunny Corner state forest (need a permit for all state forests - do search on forum to find info)
Oberon - check link on map. Has fossicking areas & state forests
Sofala - several waypoints on map
Ophir - way point on map
Hill End - Tambaroora public fossicking area way point on map
Windeyer - Long Creek etc. waypoints on map. Stay at caravan park - they will help
Hargraves - drop into the General Store & have a chat. They can help with fossicking areas + camping with showers

Also look up & read loamers posts on the forum. They will help with what to look for once you get to these areas.

lshallperish said:
Some say theres gold around richmond, which would be sweeeet (47mins drive) but... doubt it or could there be some gold? hmmmmm :eek:

I've heard this rumour also, only 1 way to find out, get down to where the Grose River meets the Hawkesbury with a pan and have a go. :) May even try 1 day myself when I'm bored.

Latest posts