Best place in Australia to detect

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, just wandering what is currently the best part of the country to detect, WA? Triangle? Other..

Where your research takes you. I spend time looking at the areas known for gold production, the type of gold found and the depth it was found. Some gold is found in alluvial wash, some in hard rock but only thorough research will send you in the right direction.

You are unlikely to be told where to go to find it.

The only answer to your question is "if we knew the answer, we would be there and won't be telling". No, not trying to be smart.

There is gold in pretty well every state in the country, they all have their own peculiarities and each state has different Regulations.

As far as regs are concerned, VIC is the easiest in my opinion, re Miners Rights and public land access. If you hit the right spot, W.A. can yield a detectorist more gold than pretty anywhere else.

Ease of access would be my first question to answer, so yours is what State do you live in?

I may not be a smart man, but I know where gold is.

If'n I tell ya, will ya leave some fer me ?
:p :goldnugget:

Simmo lives in the far east so his answer is .... West.

I live in the west, my answer is .... ?

Where do you live Bobsugar?

Moneybox said:

I'm in Vic mate, so West i go :)

Bobsugar said:
Moneybox said:

I'm in Vic mate, so West i go :)

Yep the grass is always greener.......

That's a funny question - really. Best for what?

Finding gold is all about conditions, access, research, hours on the ground bla bla bla....horses for courses as they say. WA, Pilbra = thousands of square kilometers, open, baron, remote, less people more area to cover. Could take you a day or years to find anything, and can also be rewarding.

As much as I hate to mention it, Aussie Gold Hunters portrayed the W.A. detectorists reasonably well. The Victoria detectorist, Poseidon crew, was all planted except for a couple of times. You guess it, the times where the found next to nothing. I know, I have their exact locations (don't ask) and have been over the areas they filmed.

Victoria GT, more concentrated area so easier access - for thousands of people to look. No such thing as new ground (as opposed to virgin ground), we only have a few hundred square kilometers and that's it. Good gold here too, if you are willing to put the time and work into.

Everyone needs to invest time and money to gain research required to find gold. The more I learn, the more I find through education and experience.

My circumstances are due to a marriage break up i've decided to spend a year either metal detecting or looking for opal, maybe 6 months of each, say cooler months around Cooba Pedy and warmer months in the triangle or west perhaps.

A-team said:
That's a funny question - really. Best for what?

Finding gold is all about conditions, access, research, hours on the ground bla bla bla....horses for courses as they say. WA, Pilbra = thousands of square kilometers, open, baron, remote, less people more area to cover. Could take you a day or years to find anything, and can also be rewarding.

As much as I hate to mention it, Aussie Gold Hunters portrayed the W.A. detectorists reasonably well. The Victoria detectorist, Poseidon crew, was all planted except for a couple of times. You guess it, the times where the found next to nothing. I know, I have their exact locations (don't ask) and have been over the areas they filmed.

Victoria GT, more concentrated area so easier access - for thousands of people to look. No such thing as new ground (as opposed to virgin ground), we only have a few hundred square kilometers and that's it. Good gold here too, if you are willing to put the time and work into.

Everyone needs to invest time and money to gain research required to find gold. The more I learn, the more I find through education and experience.
Thanks mate, i actually watched a poseidon video the other night and called BS staight away lol.

Bob, any summer detecting in Victoria or W.A. can be testing, but especially in W.A.

I wouldn't be planning on regular detecting during summer in Vic, some of the days can be extremely hot but you do get the occasional cooler day. The advantage you will get in Victoria will be the ability to detect early morning and in the evenings.

As for Aussie Gold Hunters all of the episodes are a laugh. I don't believe they are fake finds, just planted again for the cameras. The Poseidon Crew have the advantage of heavy machinery and diggers and their finds are going to be bigger and better. However, those two large nuggets were definitely buried again and dug up for the cameras. It would be impossible for the camera crew to hang around while they are digging in the hope they find something.
What makes me laugh is when they start detecting and after 10 minutes find a good size nugget and then pack up and go home. I know I do that every time I find any gold. When the Poseidon Crew were detecting in the ranges and one found a big nugget using the 18" or 20" coil and said he found it because of the large coil, well the other guy was using a 14" coil and the piece was only about a foot down. Any good detector and an 11"coil would have found that.

Regards Axtyr.

Good question. If I had a year Id try west during the best part of the season, then come back to Vic. I doubt being in the black in any case without a very generous guiding hand.

Simple math says youd have more coil time in Vic. Its purely speculation if that means more gold or not.

Everytime the gold bug bites cant help but think how much easier it is to punch out construction work vs going remote and digging holes, done my share of hot and wet days on my feet, and camping on site without throwing a pick around all day on top :lol:

If its in you to try then more power to you mate.

BigWave said:
WA is good, but I personally like FNQ (cattle stations around Forsayth).
Have found some lovey leaf gold there, as well as some great nuggets.
Bit of fishing as well?