Best Metal Detector to start with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That F2 sounds like it would be good enough to keep as a back up later on to go with a PI.
You won't get a better deal than that.

Goldpick said:
whereas Fisher are predominantly for the US market. I'm guessing that Fisher's F2 is the closest in their range to this detector (both made by same parent company).

Don't agree. Fishers are very capable in our soils. I own 2 cz3d's serial 1021's tuned by Tom D. You want a deep seeking coin shooter look no further and less than $750 delivered if you can find them but only 2nd hand. I was shocked to be picking up half 1c bits chewed up by a mower buried at 6" and 7" deep but you need to learn the machine.

Then you have the legendary Goldbug 2 which is dynamite on tiny nuggets and a proven small nugget finder in Australia for the past 17 years.

Other popular fisher detectors that work well here include the F75 and the T2.

I think the keyword here is 'marketing'.

The F2 was sold on ebay. Best offer was accepted so I am presuming the detector sold for about $200 delivered to Aus with 2 coils.

I've started with an ACE150 10 years ago.
I think if you want to try without spending much money, you can't be wrong with ACE150 and 250.

And if you're hooked, you'll upgrade later like I did: ACE150 (1 year)->Tesoro Deleon (2 years)->Fisher F75 [alias Numussator - it a nummus (roman coins) killer! - still mine but in France]->X-Terra 705 (3years now, the one I took to Australia).

Wolfau said:
Goldpick said:
whereas Fisher are predominantly for the US market. I'm guessing that Fisher's F2 is the closest in their range to this detector (both made by same parent company).

Don't agree. Fishers are very capable in our soils. I own 2 cz3d's serial 1021's tuned by Tom D. You want a deep seeking coin shooter look no further and less than $750 delivered if you can find them but only 2nd hand. I was shocked to be picking up half 1c bits chewed up by a mower buried at 6" and 7" deep but you need to learn the machine.

Then you have the legendary Goldbug 2 which is dynamite on tiny nuggets and a proven small nugget finder in Australia for the past 17 years.

Other popular fisher detectors that work well here include the F75 and the T2.

I think the keyword here is 'marketing'.

I wasn't indicating that Fisher dectectors don't work well here, as they do, it was simply a reference to the two main seperate markets for the Fisher and Teknetics detectors (US & Europe), whereas the Australian market is a lot smaller in comparison. We get the best of both worlds here in Oz, with choices from both sub brands.:)

The Goldbug 2, despite getting a bit long in the tooth now, still rates as the best small gold detector on the market, people still prefer the manual GB over the disastrous Gold Strike model, don't think that particular model went down too well with the veteran detectorists.

Have also had an interest in the F4/F5 models, they pack a lot of features for low to mid range machines, and would be good allrounders.

The F2 nearly always seems to receive good reviews for a budget detector, so I don't think you can go too wrong with it. It basically boils down to what features you want in a detector for the price, and there is always the buyer that has a favourite brand. Personally, I like trying out all types of detectors from different brands, I don't really like limiting myself to just one brand. ;)

hi every one, my name is mark, was just wondering what a good metal detector would be to start with on our new adventure with my father and I , thanks

Hi Mark welcome to prospecting australia.

Get ready for some answers by a few members.

It really depends on your budget.

Between the 2 of you I would suggest a late model 4500
or 5000 Depending on budget especially if you both can
share The outlay.

A high khz frequency machine (50khz plus) such as the
old gold bug Or whites gmt for the tiny stuff which the
high end Detectors won't find as a great option as well.

I use a modified gp 3500 but was lucky i purchased this
At the price I have. If you can get one for $2000 - $2300
Its a good buy. The modification only costs less than
$300.

Other cheaper options include an sd 2100/2200.

If you do a search you will find lots of info.

G'day Mark,
I have found the Garrett AT Gold to be an easy beast to use,easy to set up and good audio plus visual display,helps take some of the guess work out.
You should be able to pick one up for under $1000.00.I purchased mine from the USA when the Aussie $ was at about $1.10 US,I think it worked out at about $650.00 including freight.
Hope that info is of some help.
Cheers,
Larry. ;)

Nuggets normally found with an AT Gold
Or Teknetics G2 can be found with a 4500
Or 5000.

So you have competition in this range why
I suggested a higher frequency detector.

thebeans said:
wolfau is that mod diy as detectormods in vic are $1250 (fitted)

thanks richard

No.

This is done by the great man in WA Isamel jones.

He applies 3 mods you really use only 2 and leave

the other Switched off. All mods can be switched.

Mods include extra sensitivity switch and smooth

Timing switch. He charges less than $300.

Ismael can be contacted on 0417 947 764.

Hey Snookie, what are you looking for? Answers above are sound if it is gold you seek!

thanks heaps wolfau and weeg,,I like the sound of the gp 3500, that would be around what id be happy to spend right now,. why did you suggest the later models wolfau,are they better for some reason., thanks very much mark :)

yes sorry gold around Victoria., also does any one know .,what sapphires are worth and how would I go about finding a buyer,, also for that matter how do people sell there gold, while they travel around are there places in around Victoria that buy , detected gold,or around ballarat
thanks mark :)

OK wolfau nice suggestion if you want a good detector
Save up for a mine lab.wolfau is right , 2100 up I have
a 2100 and believe me I don't miss much.pulled 6 peices
today smallest .1 gram .
Don't mess with cheaper machines they will do your head
in on hot ground.
Now the small price was found with 14 inch coiltek at 3 inches
DWT might post pictures he was out with me and took some photos.
All the best in your choosing don't be fooled by flash adds and web sites.
Tried the cheap ones for years found no gold bought mine lab 2100 and
having stopped finding gold .Dr

snookie said:
thanks heaps wolfau and weeg,,I like the sound of the gp 3500, that would be around what id be happy to spend right now,. why did you suggest the later models wolfau,are they better for some reason., thanks very much mark :)
The 4500 is brilliant but i only suggested these if
your sharing The cost between 2 as you mentioned
Your dad.

Personally the gp3500 are awesome for price and
once modded And powered with a sound booster
these come alive.

The threshold on a modified 3500 is smooth especially
With the smooth timing mod.

Iv got a whites MXT pro on eBay for sale havnt got time to learn the machine been used once capable of finding everything.
Bought for the wife but lack of interest.
Also will sell my sd2100 soon to upgrade

There will be heaps of options to choose from do a little research and get out there you will always upgrade if you enjoy it'

thank you everybody for your help,it has taken away a lot of guesse work away for me , thanks mark :)

Latest posts