Best laid plans...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marked

Mark
Reaction score
Had access to a 4WD, State Forest in the Blackwood area, and need to test some minor mods on the Walbanker...easiest area I had planned to access is all but dry after a bit of a sticky, rear main is gone in the 4WD, causing the clutch to slip, so the deeper explorations for more water have been scrapped. Might just have a bit of a sight see in the lowered ute where I know there were some easier to access workings. Might still get a test pan or two in for when it wets up again. High 30's forecast here isn't thrilling me much either.

Go figure - pull the pin as fire danger hits extreme and the forests were shut down, caravan parks in the area evacuated...get back to a bushfire 3 minutes down the road from home. At least all the prospecting gear was in the ute and I didn't have to argue with the missus about loading it while we were packing up the photos and other valuables. On the way out to the in-laws, the wind had brought down a large pine and we had to reassess our exit strategy. A timely reminder that it is best to get out early; give yourself time to deal with the unexpected obstacles that could be presented to you in an emergency.

This summer heat can sap the energy of even the most enthused prospectors, let alone the worry about fires!

One of the issues of living around a lake as we do is all the "boaties" that come up from down south to enjoy the lake, they seem to be able to spend 30 plus thousand on speed and recreational fishing boats, not including they're tow rigs, but never seem to remember to check the fricking wheel bearings each year before they head out, 5 fires last year from red hot wheel bearing still attached to the wheel going for a ride out into the dry grass or crops, helped put one out on a mates place and had to bail from another, made us rethink our exit strategy, now with 3 horses on the place were set up to fight not flee, uncool either way :|

Too right dwt,
Victoria is the fire capital of the world so I've been led to believe.
I love the bush and every thing it has to offer other than
flys, mozzies, wasps and bulls ants.
Oh, and don't forget the rednecks as well.
I have all to often seen the results of cigarette
buts thrown out of a car window or campfire
which has not been put out properly.
To see sheep, cattle and wildlife still alive but terribly
burnt, farms, fences and buildings destroyed.
And the loss of life of the innocent breaks my
heart.
We live in a very harsh but beautiful country.
Lets keep ourselves alert and wise,
Cheers Steve.
Gone to get a hot dog ;)

good to hear you got out ok, hopefully everything else is good on your return.

Was that that Tatura woman? Out on bail for lighting fires last year and decided to light a bunch more this year... sad life if that's what rocks her socks.

stoyve said:
Too right dwt,
Victoria is the fire capital of the world so I've been led to believe.
I love the bush and every thing it has to offer other than
flys, mozzies, wasps and bulls ants.
Oh, and don't forget the rednecks as well.
I have all to often seen the results of cigarette
buts thrown out of a car window or campfire
which has not been put out properly.
To see sheep, cattle and wildlife still alive but terribly
burnt, farms, fences and buildings destroyed.
And the loss of life of the innocent breaks my
heart.
We live in a very harsh but beautiful country.
Lets keep ourselves alert and wise,
Cheers Steve.
Gone to get a hot dog ;)

ditto

ditto

ditto

Gone to get an icecream