Best coil for small shallow gold SD2200d

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To compliment my 11" DD super gold search and my Coiltek 14" DD Pro Elite i'm after a small coil for shallow, small gold.
There are a few options out there, waterproof would be a good bonus.

Would like to hear from people using small coils, both mono and dd on SD machines in NSW.
From my limited research so far i am thinking an;
8" mono (commander or super gold search)
10"x5" Joey coil (dd or mono suggestions??)
6"or 8" round Detech mono (the only waterproof round coil)
9"x6" Nugget Finder Sadie mono (bit overpriced- only suits gpx?)
Have been told the older 8" mono Super Gold Search are better than the 8" commander mono. Any merit to this?

Look forward to hearing peoples observations.
Reeko

Use a mono if you can. Borrow one to try in your area first though - they may be too noisy for your liking on the old SD?
I ran a NF 14x7 mono on mine & found it good but did have to go back to a DD in some places. I had a Joey DD 10x5 if the mono got to unstable on hot ground. The coil I had the best success with was the stock super gold search 11" DD & picked up sub grammers with it. I have heard that the older super gold search coils work better which makes sense - they were made in that era for those machines whereas newer coils would obviously be made with the GPX series in mind.

mbasko said:
Use a mono if you can. Borrow one to try in your area first though - they may be too noisy for your liking on the old SD?
I ran a NF 14x7 mono on mine & found it good but did have to go back to a DD in some places. I had a Joey DD 10x5 if the mono got to unstable on hot ground. The coil I had the best success with was the stock super gold search 11" DD & picked up sub grammers with it. I have heard that the older super gold search coils work better which makes sense - they were made in that era for those machines whereas newer coils would obviously be made with the GPX series in mind.

Thanks Mbasko, i have found tiny lead shot with my 11"dd but none and more than about 3-4 inches depth.
I thought maybe a mono might punch a few inches deeper and be more sensative on those tiny 0.01- 0.5 gram pieces.

Reeko

I'm also looking for small coil for White's SPP. I got 7.5 inch White's mono coil which seem to work OK, but pinpointing abilities of mono coils leave lot to be desired. I'm used to 6 inch DD coil on X-terra and found it quite difficult to find some 2 mm metal object in wet muddy soil with Mono coil. I gladly sacrifice half a inch depth advantage of mono for qood pinpointing ability of DD.
The problem is that SPP got fixed 10 us timing and coil I need must be able to work with this limitation.
Karl

I've used the 8x6 Sadie, 10x5 mono, 6" mono 8" mono commander on 2220v2

Had my best results with the 8" commander mono, its got depth and sensitivity.

However if you're looking for something really small, I'd go with the 6" coiltek, or 8x6 Sadie both these coils are great.
The Sadie does work on SD-GP machines.

But yeah, I recently purchased the 6" coiltek and its awesome, My hunting partner has actually been running it on his 2200D for the last 3 trips and done quite well..

All that said, if you don't own a 8" commander/SGS.. I'd look into getting one. If you're after an SGS 8" used, I've seen one listed on ebay for the last 2 days. Item Number: 201119368135

I may bid :p

Thanks downhalo, i did see that sgs on ebay but the description is pretty vague..
Thanks for your experiences with said coils.

Is the coiltek 6" waterproof?
It would be good to be able to dunk the coil underwater amongst crevices etc.

Reeko

6 MONO GOLDSTALKER
To suit SD/GP/SPX Series Detectors

Perfect for small target hunting in overgrown and rocky areas, mullock heap hunting and crevassing. Offers precise pinpointing ability plus outstanding sensitivity due to its smaller, concentrated magnetic field. Finds the smaller targets that larger coils have missed. Fully submersible, lightweight and easy to operate, it gives versatility when trying to recover maximum gold from a patch.

Coil Type: Round MONO
Size: 155MM
Part Number: C01-0001
Weight: 517 Grams

Apparently It is... which is excellent..
http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/files/7113/9227/8616/6goldstalker-mono.pdf

more info

Tell me about it, I was just calling my mate (who's in VIC) currently with my coil, to keep it dry! .. but its a new model so its fine lol.

He's talking about the 14x9 Nugget Finder.. its a nice coil.. but yeah.. You're on the right track Reeks.

8" commander, 6" coiltek, 10x5" coiltek mono, NF Sadie 8x6, they're all great.. pick any one and it will do the job..

Latest posts