berringa gold mine adit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
about 15 years ago I went through the birthday tunnel at berringa, it went down 3 levels before a cave in and was not game to continue any further. I went back their about 12 months ago and found it had been closed off and heard it had been filled in with about 5 meters of concrete. I went back their gold detecting last week and foud th someone has dug down to the concrete at the adits entrance. I am curious as to if anyone knows if the air in te mine would be stale or no anymore about why it was capped off. cheers tim (pnp281)

Puddler Bill said:
Lots of sulphides in the Berringa mines. I would exercise extreme caution.
That's right PB, and if its been closed up for a while the build up of gas will most probably be deadly.
A gas metre at the very least should be used in a mine such as that.
I have been in dozens of mines through the Berringa region and some of those mines have high levels of iron in them
as well.
The iron oxidizes and splits the rock open causing keystones and plugs/ rock
to collapse.
Be wise in what you choose to do.
Pm me if you want to chat a bit more about it.
I live in Ballarat.
Cheers Steve

Its been capped for safety to keep the public out.

If there was payable ore still to be got, its now not worth the effort for you in extraction.

If your simply a detectorist, it may be wiser to move on! ;)

Any news on this one? Is it possible to access the adit anymore? I know where it is (berringa prospecting syndicate). A neighbor of mine used to work at this mine as a secretary back when it was called Alluvial Prospectors.

Dangerous at its highest level if I was you I would keep out as posted not worth it lots of easier gold to be found else were

It goes down 11 levels to 1100 feet and water is at 600 feet and because of the water and hazards of the mine it was closed off, as well it was and would still be as rich as post office mine in Ballarat today.

One of the best books you could read of the mine working and the area is

The History of Berringa by Markon Joy Menhennet.

Cheers

Just stay out lenners,
Its much better to "live with curiosity than to die for it "
I say that with your best interests at heart mate.
Kind regards Steve

Detrack said:
Dangerous at its highest level if I was you I would keep out as posted not worth it lots of easier gold to be found else were

It goes down 11 levels to 1100 feet and water is at 600 feet and because of the water and hazards of the mine it was closed off, as well it was and would still be as rich as post office mine in Ballarat today.

One of the best books you could read of the mine working and the area is

The History of Berringa by Markon Joy Menhennet.

Cheers
Sure sounds like it's not worth the effort, I'm not even looking for gold, I just document the history of the mining companies.

I've looked up that book and it appears to only be available in Melbourne libraries. I will definitely try to track one down though as being a local the history of Berringa interests me.
P.S Stoyve, did you ever find the adit in Linton? If you're interested I'm happy to share any info.

Sorry lenners but I have only had 2 or 3 weekends free this year so I've missed out on one of my favorite passions.
I still want to catch up at some stage but it looks like I wont get the opportunity till February next year :(
If I get a chance sooner I will pm you.
Cheers Steve

As it was being dug out with picks and shovels (tunnelling down left hand side to break into the original portal) the people digging it struck bad air at the entrance and was lucky there was a few of them just incase one collapsed. There is concrete blocking the entrance and maybe a big steel door as well so you will have to dig atleast another 10ft up and punch down through the roof. You would have to be pretty stupid to want to explore that mine though! Also another danger is that anyone walking down to this site would of walked passed a fence even though someone has cut it with plenty of "private property keep out" signs. The owner blocked this mine for a good reason (he should of removed the cart tracks out of the side of the hill which was a dead give away where to dig)