Bells Creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jml

Jeff
Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone have any information on Bells Creek near Majors Creek.
Has anyone prospected the area in recent years?
Regards
JML

Use to be my fav creek in the "old days" when access was easy. Still a lot of easy gold but access is pretty well stitched up with the current land owners. Everything down that way is tied up by the fruit farmers these days and they don't like strangers.

If you know someone down there you might be in luck. ;)

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Use to my fav creek in the "old days" when access was easy. Still a lot of easy gold but access is pretty well stitched up with the current land owners. Everything down that way is tied up by the fruit farmers these days and they don't like strangers.

If you know someone down there you might be in luck. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal
I might attempt an approach. What parts along Bells is suitable? can gold be found along its entire length? For the most part especially the lower 3/4 the creek looks to run though forest.
JML

I found the lower section south of the Aualuen Mine best and mainly ran a dredge there, but that was in the good old days, some 35 years ago.

Best of luck with it....there's still good gold from there right into Araluen itself.

Cheers Wal.

G'day All

I have worked and mapped Bells Creek for many years. First thing to know is that what is marked as Bells Creek on the maps is NOT Bells Creek - it is Stony Creek. There was very good coarse Gold there but everyone else is absolutely correct - the place is off-limits. The present land owner will not even let the mining company that has the lease get access. My mate was shot at the last time we went there and these people are truly dangerous. A year ago I tried to get access as I was helping to write a mining history book on the area and talked to the landowner and he was not at all interested and told me that he patrols the area and will "confront" any trespasser.

Araluen

I have also been researching Bells Crk. I thought some land in the area was publicly accessible but you needed to trudge a bit. On one map I've seen there is a small entry area from the Braidwood/Araluen Rd into the area near Woolshed Crk into what I thought was the Bells Creek (now Stony Crk?)

SWright said:
G'day All

I have worked and mapped Bells Creek for many years. First thing to know is that what is marked as Bells Creek on the maps is NOT Bells Creek - it is Stony Creek. There was very good coarse Gold there but everyone else is absolutely correct - the place is off-limits. The present land owner will not even let the mining company that has the lease get access. My mate was shot at the last time we went there and these people are truly dangerous. A year ago I tried to get access as I was helping to write a mining history book on the area and talked to the landowner and he was not at all interested and told me that he patrols the area and will "confront" any trespasser.

Araluen

Wow. What are ones legal standing if someone walks down from where the road crossing is above and remains on the creek bed? I guess you can still be shot at.
JML

jml said:
SWright said:
G'day All

Araluen

Wow. What are ones legal standing if someone walks down from where the road crossing is above and remains on the creek bed? I guess you can still be shot at.
JML

G'day

I am not sure what size of creek allows you to claim you are not on their property. I think little creeks like Bells are not included in that whereas something like the Shoalhaven is. Anyway, blokes with guns and a really bad attitude trump my standing on principle. The "Bells Creek" sign you are referring to is in fact Stony Creek as Bells nowhere crosses any road. I have even tried hoofing it in one time and ended up running into someone's stash - and it was an active area so I gave up and went elsewhere. Any way where ever you park your vehicle around there they end up following you in.

Araluen

Some "Lower" sections of the Mongarlowe come under the same scenario....So if your research leads you in that direction the best i can do is give you warning. Lots of "pretend" pig shooters in there who are not real good shots. :|

Wal.

Hi Wal . Just been looking at the maps for this Bells Creek & can you access from the Church of England Cemetery road , or "Same Issue"

Quiet day at work :8

Cheers Paul

Ok we have same shit happening down here is tassie ur are aloud on 1 meter of land either side of a river/creek and in the river there is nothing the land owner can do and as for shooting at u it's wankers like that who make it hard for us gun owners who do the right thing iv been shot at while fishing thought he was a mucho man until he shot my $2200 fly rod I took him to court and seen him having to pay for a new out fit lost all his firearms and license never to get it back and a 12 month jail term he was hiding drugs not far from where I was so the farmer ur talking about I think he is growing more than fruit if u know what I mean or doing something ileigal but just keep it in ur mind they will do anything to keep it hidden so will probably shoot u it's bull shit how we can't get to a place no one owns

headbut said:
Hi Wal . Just been looking at the maps for this Bells Creek & can you access from the Church of England Cemetery road , or "Same Issue"

Quiet day at work :8

Cheers Paul

Would give both places a wide berth mate as the gold there is not worth the aggravation. Send me a PM if you want some details. ;)

Cheers Wal.

If someone is threatened or killed, while people know where you are, digging in a river, i would imagine there would be more police activity around the area than he wants, not good for so called fruit farmer, and without jurisdiction it would be a joke to be confronted anyway. I have experienced all property owners to be quite friendly when asked to pan the creek/river, even though it shouldn't need to be done it is polite. I have no respect for weak man shooting his riffle

charlie123 said:
If someone is threatened or killed, while people know where you are, digging in a river, i would imagine there would be more police activity around the area than he wants, not good for so called fruit farmer, and without jurisdiction it would be a joke to be confronted anyway. I have experienced all property owners to be quite friendly when asked to pan the creek/river, even though it shouldn't need to be done it is polite. I have no respect for weak man shooting his riffle

Agree with all you say charlie, but some of the land in the Braidwood region is owned by people who are not as friendly as the common farmer....and instead of riding tractors, they ride Harley Davidsons and spend lots of money on Tattoos. :|

They also unfortunately find no ethical reason to register their fire arms. Sometimes asking the wrong sort of farmers can get you in a lot of trouble......they have less respect for you than you have for them. :/

Wal.

Thanks for the advise, will have to be more careful, So i guess if your travelling up the wrong driveway you will know well enough. How does one know the difference between sheep farmer gunshot, and dodgy fruit farmer gunshot. How does one know before the gunshot.

Pretty simple answer,
If you hear the gun shot you are still alive.

If you dont.......well you can work that one out for yourself. :8

If the farmer rides a Harley Davidson, wearing a leather jacket and is full of tattoos with hate and love scribed across his knuckles.....drive on past at least a dozen gates and talk to a farmer riding on a tractor ;).....and the sad part of it is..."I'm being serious here". :|

Cheers Wal.

Hey Wal it certainly was a great idea we had purchasing all those Harleys......but hell mate how about you get the next lot of tats I've run outer skin.
Have you ordered those long black wigs and aviator sunny for me.
Cheers

Latest posts