Beginner looking for equipment recomendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a 27 year old guy from Victoria. My mate and I have always talked about getting into prospecting and have been looking at sluices online, but there's so many different types and we have no idea where to begin. Figured I'd ask the experts and see if anyone can recommend a decent, beginner friendly setup?

My house is also right by a sandy creek. I see a fella panning a couple of km's down from me almost every day, figure he wouldn't keep going back if he wasn't having any luck.

buy a couple of pans & learn how t use them first then look at something portable from a reputable builder, sluicy,keene, gold fox etc.
don't buy from j&p in gympie

Second vote here for the Angus McKirk sluices. Ive got the AM Grubbstake and I cant fault it...only wish it was bigger. But thats my fault for not buying a bigger model. But yeah they're easy to set up, easy to clean out, light, portable and tough.

JTGOLD said:
buy a couple of pans & learn how t use them first then look at something portable from a reputable builder, sluicy,keene, gold fox etc.
don't buy from j&p in gympie

This is good advice.
1460978475_1476364148.gif

nicko61 i was referring to this part of the above post. {buy a couple of pans & learn how t use them first then look at something portable from a reputable builder, sluicy,keene, gold fox etc.} As been good advice. Jemba

I like the Angus McKirk sluice. Oh JTgold thanks for the heads up on j&p Gympie.

Latest posts