beechworth Has anyone heard of black sand creek.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been going though some articles and I am quite intrested in having a fossick/ sluicing session on a creek know as black sand creek.
It points to beeing 4-5 miles from Beechworth but there is a also a description of it running from mt pilot to Chilten.

I can't find a black sand creek on my maps which is disappointing to say the least. I am thinking it might have changes names...

I know woolshed/ reedy creek has changed names a couple of times but cant find reference of it being called black sand creek though it contains a lot of it.

There is a river that runs from mt pilot to chilten called black dog creek I am thinking this might be the creek I seek but would love if any locals could fill me into on the location of black sand creek.

Hi there, by no means do I have experience that really matters .... Just check the number of posts :)
That being said when researching old place names from Stereoviews that I collect I find the Trove website of the National Library extremely helpful ..... That is if it was ever known by that name.
A quick check indicates there is reference to one in 1948 but its in the Lilydale/healsville area, a more through search may uncover more info.
Good luck, Tom

Hi again, I should have scrolled down a bit further, there is reference to someone finding 'gems' in that creek, reference indicates it runs from Mt Pilot between Chiltern & Beechworth.
Cheers Tom

Might be Snakes head ck or Old hands creek. Both of which seem to be a no go as far as prospecting access. You can get into the upper part of snakes head crk via Mc Guiness trk unless the parks People have closed it either seasonally or permenantly.

Thanks guys. I have a copy of an old journal arriving today that should give me a location and how to access the creek. I had the description that it runs from my pilot to chilten but on my topo map no such creek

thank you very much Marked. I had the other journal i hoped contained the location arrive today but was not in there certainly going to have a look in both valleys either side of the snakes head. thanks also Jethro for the help much appreciated guys.

It is over my back fence. The creek is locked in by private properties but you can gain entry from one of the local roads.

G'Day

Everyone got in before me. Black Sand Creek flows into Reedy Creek from the north west, just above where Reedy creek crosses the Chiltern the Beechworth road. I have been reading up a bit on the geology and mining history of the area since getting back from there last week. It is worth a look I dare say but because it is largely in paster land it may no be good for prospecting - all clogged up - but well worth a look. the other thing is I think there has been little gold produced from there. The mining was more for tin - hence the name. Most of the creeks such as Black Sand and Clear Creeks that come off the Mt Pilot granite produced only tin. the gold came down Spring, Sheepstation and Reedy from Wooragee and Beechworth-Yack.

Araluen

I have researched the area extensively too, SWright has got it in terms of the creeks that "should" have gold in them...

I'm yet to do another trip up there, but this year may be the year!

Cheers
Mark

if you are interested in chasing diamonds there have been a few diamonds found in the area the largest of which was found at black sand creek. There were more found(and documented) though in reedy creek as well as Wooragee creek and as Swright mentioned probably more gold in reedy.

Nice one diggerdave, I have heard those reports - why does it have to be so damn far away...

Latest posts