Beach swing.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonc2861

Jason c
Reaction score
Went to the beach after nght shift this morn,third time out with the new at pro international,raining,cold,wet,tired,grinning and swinging,i found my first 1934 penny!!at the bottom of a dune that was a bit washed away.iit was a bit rough so thought it was a 20c piece,also a further 50c and 2c,and 2 cartons worth of bottle tops,all up ill clean them up and put a pick up today,hey have to ask best way to clean the penny?also do you guys clean your normal coins?if so how?cheers in advance! :)

A morning out detecting is a good morning regardless of the conditions I say :lol:

Honestly I wouldn't bother cleaning copper coins, it just ruins them even more. You could try throwing it into a tumbler to see how it turns out, but cleaning agents or scrubbing will just destroy the coin.

Silver coins on the other hand shine up almost like new with a little bi-carb and water :D

Before
1363149015_20130309_131503_resized.jpg

After
1363149036_20130313_150955_resized.jpg

Nugget.

I agree with Nugget. I only clean cooper coins with water then use abit of cheap olive oil to make the details stand out. Everything else seems to destroy the coin.

Jasonc2861 said:
Went to the beach after nght shift this morn,third time out with the new at pro international,raining,cold,wet,tired,grinning and swinging,i found my first 1934 penny!!at the bottom of a dune that was a bit washed away.iit was a bit rough so thought it was a 20c piece,also a further 50c and 2c,and 2 cartons worth of bottle tops,all up ill clean them up and put a pick up today,hey have to ask best way to clean the penny?also do you guys clean your normal coins?if so how?cheers in advance! :)

Went to a talk by a coin collector last month, the only thing he will do with coins is boil them, he said whatever you do don't use anything that is chemical, this is of course for coins that might be valuable.

I've actually thought about putting one in the oven at high temps then tossing it into ice cold water to see if the corrosion would break off. I don't know if it'll work though :lol:

Ok thanks fellas,yer I just rinsed it a bit then a bit of oil,o man the bug has bit hard,going back out later this evening for a night detect at an old Scout hall in Carey park,there's some really old trees in the park next to it as well....then there's the park down the road as well....any tips?? :)

Thought it was just me. Just started , and own neighbourhood seemed best place to start. Trouble is, it's marrickville, in sydney, and the place has enough junk under the surface to build a new space station. Finally found some ground that few people had set foot upon, and got some old coins ( oldest 1922 penny). Trouble is , they're mostly badly deteriorated. Is this because of the salty sand , being old sand dunes, or does everyone have this problem ?

Nugget said:
I've actually thought about putting one in the oven at high temps then tossing it into ice cold water to see if the corrosion would break off. I don't know if it'll work though :lol:

I heard the other way round Nugget wet them then freeze them should make the crust drop off as it thaws.

I tumble coppers then a little olive oil on them, a paste of bi carb and water on my silvers.

If i just want to date the coppers i use a sharp end off a wooden skewer and rub gently around the area to hopefully get the date to stand out. This works 99% of the time, not many coppers i dont end up dating.

Latest posts