Battery jumper cable

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinman98

John Kleinman
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a battery jumper cable in the shops cigarette lighter socket to lighter socket? Handy to charge a second battery in the car while on the move.

Yes john,
They are really useless as the lighter socket in your car is regulated to 12 volts.

You would have to be driving for hrs to charge a 12 volt battery.... and it will only possibly get to a maximum 12 volts.

I have a second battery in mine totally seperate from the crank (main battery)on a duel battery system. Both are OPTIMA 55 a/h 750 cca Deep cycle batteries
I have an Anderson plug in the rear for doing just that. It charges through the second battery straight from the 100amp alternator at around 13.89volts will charge a 12 volt battery pretty quick.

when out in the bush just plug the 100 watt solar panel straight into the same Anderson plug and keeps both batterys fully charged at 4.9amps per hr.

John I will be at Nundle on the Thursday......come over and I will show you my system and have a chat about your needs re batterys.
cheers

Hi John,

it's easy enough to construct such a lead as you describe 'cos the the bits you need can be purchased at any auto parts store but as mentioned by thesmithy the voltage drop through the circuit renders it useless for charging any regular cranking or deepcycle storage batteries.

casper

casper said:
Hi John,

it's easy enough to construct such a lead as you describe 'cos the the bits you need can be purchased at any auto parts store but as mentioned by thesmithy the voltage drop through the circuit renders it useless for charging any regular cranking or deepcycle storage batteries.

casper
Yeh I know I need 13-14volts. Was just looking for an easy way.

Latest posts