Basic gold prospecting equipment

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok seeing as I didn't win the turbopan lol. :p I am looking to buy a couple basic gold pans (dont want to spend much on these atm) and a good digging tool, thinking a lestch (or however it's spelt lol. :) - happy to spend a reasonable amount for a good tool.

Hoping to find a shop in Canberra that sells both, while I can buy online I would prefer to be able to speak to a knowledgable sales person who might be willing to share some tips and tricks along with the sale lol. :)

Anyone know of a Shop in Canberra that sells both items?

Hi sarn. I'm not very experienced but do believe in research.
It seems the Garrett super sluice pan is very popular.
I have a cheapy pan, a turbopan and just bought a Super sluice. It does seem easy to use for beginners.
On the recent Nundle get together I got a look at the Garrett Deluxe pan set. Seems to cover all you need to start out. A couple of pans sand a sieve....
Good luck on your hunt for the yellow.

Rod

14" Garrett pan is a good all rounder - I have the 15" Garrett Super Sluice too but find it a bit heavy & awkward as my main pan(i just use it as my clean up pan as it's got a nice big bottom.

If you're just panning then there's no need for fancy digging tools.

Shovel, classifier, yabby pump, scoops, spoons, etc.

Ag Man said:
14" Garrett pan is a good all rounder.

I agree with Ag man. 14" Garrett super sluice is easy to use. I got a kit from Miners den that included 14" pan, 10" clean up pan, classifier, twizzers with magnifing glass, some vials and small book on how to use it. It was $72 plus $10 shipping.
http://www.minersden.com.au/garrett-gold-panning-kit/
That is a good beginer kit and has all you need to start.

Hey call me a cheapskate but a very basic kit that travels with me everywhere is .....
a nursery/Bunnings type shopping basket (great classifier) and hols the other stuff
Builders trowel and (I think) pointing tool (they use it to smooth out the mortar between bricks) .... great for getting into crevices.
A few, 4 actually, different size plastic scoops for obviously scooping up dirt/gravel or whatever you hope is holding the gold, different sizes help accessing narrower areas etc.
And a 20l bucket or 2 ........ very basic but it does the job for collecting wash to bring home and put through the pan.
The Garret, or probably any other brand that provides a "kit" seems a good option for a range of pans.
Obviously more equipment is utilised when going on a planned trip to different areas, then the destination dictates what's taken, wet/dry, digging required, handpump required etc.
Use the KISS principle.
Cheers & good hunting, Tom

Ag Man said:
14" Garrett pan is a good all rounder - I have the 15" Garrett Super Sluice too but find it a bit heavy & awkward as my main pan(i just use it as my clean up pan as it's got a nice big bottom.

Sorry I should have highlighted that the digging tool is for use while I metal detector (Not necessarily related to gold prospecting. :) I've recently gotten into the hobby and have found that I need a decent digging tool, the standard little gardening variety doesn't suffice when you want to dig nice clean plugs in tough ground (have already bent both the spine and the tip of my crappy little gardening trowel). Metal detecting is my main concern ATM and want a decent tool to make digging easier and cleaner (want to minimize my ground disturbance as much as possible, as well as be able to cut through tough grass and hard clay surfaces). Willing to spend a decent amount on the right tool.

The gold pans I am likely to use very infrequently, but want some for my trip to te snowies over Christmas. So at this stage just after a basic kit, not too expensive as we are going there primarily for a family holiday rather than a fossicking adventure. :) would like it to to be cost effective enough to get a few pans without costing the earth. :)

Sarn said:
Ok seeing as I didn't win the turbopan lol. :p I am looking to buy a couple basic gold pans (dont want to spend much on these atm) and a good digging tool, thinking a lestch (or however it's spelt lol. :) - happy to spend a reasonable amount for a good tool.

Hoping to find a shop in Canberra that sells both, while I can buy online I would prefer to be able to speak to a knowledgable sales person who might be willing to share some tips and tricks along with the sale lol. :)

Anyone know of a Shop in Canberra that sells both items?

G'day Sarn,

Don't know how often you get down to Batemans Bay for a fish, but Brad at Detect a Den has a large variety of pans and digging tools in his shop and is always keen to share good advice. He's also probably the closest to Canberra, as there isn't a shop around here at present. :(

Cheers Wal,

Sorry for the lag in response, haven't been online much lately.

Rc: It's a jewfish that I caught a few years ago while on a fishing tour in kakadu. :D

Wal, thanks for the info as always. Believe it or not but i Have never been To batemans bay. My hubby is a landlubber, only really enjoys lakes and rivers.... So the only time we really go to the coast is to visit my mum and brother in Sydney. :( as for me, I grew up on a small tropical island where everything involved the ocean, swimming, boating, camping etc.... So I prefer coastal areas myself, but such is life I guess

Latest posts