barrington tops geodes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we went for a look and it was raining and made rocks easyer to spot even with wet glasses..(curse) we watched the roadside cuttings and found a ancient creek bed running across a ridge.. The rounded rocks are a giveaway.. we found a few pieces of interesting stone along the cuttings.. not all of the stone had been in a creek(rounded).. some of the very angular pieces will have come not very far and should be nearby??

unfortunately we can not get to the spot we were going to because the mines have it fenced off with trespassing signs every few meters... :| I think that there may well be something in the area if only we had access.. The best stone came from an area closer to the place we wanted to visit..(missed by about 500mtrs) there are a few places where the creek is undercutting the ridges on private land that we will visit when we gain access.. further back from the place we found the best specimins ( 1 km) is another ridge that I will try to get to if we can for another look about sooner or later.. The whole area has a lot of jagged white/ pink quartz everwhere and there must be a reef in the area that it shed from :)

one of our more knowlegable guys in the know may help with identifying the finds we made... :/

That goes double for you Kawman. :lol:
Most people mean the opposite of what they mean when they double post like that though,... so you streak on in with that 100 kgs and hit the scare floor laughing. :p 8) :eek: :p :D

I am not an expert, but first pick looks like quartz and maybe some chert? Second pic looks cool, almost reminds me of a calceous limestone with marine fossils, but I could be way of the mark.... maybe just phenocrysts of a feldspar? Third pic could be an ignimbrite or tuff, if near a rhyolitic area, but the minerals do not look squished enough... Are they minerals or bits of rock? Last pic looks like large crystals in a fine ground mass, could be rhyolite with plageoclase phenocrysts maybe? But seems like some funny shapes in there as well.
Hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

I always wear T boots in the bush... :8
silver said:
That goes double for you Kawman. :lol:
Most people mean the opposite of what they mean when they double post like that though,... so you streak on in with that 100 kgs and hit the scare floor laughing. :p 8) :eek: :p :D

Thank you for that.. I will have to study these rocks some more using your thinking.. These rocks are very unusual for this area and after a while we may go back for another look... :)
shivan said:
I am not an expert, but first pick looks like quartz and maybe some chert? Second pic looks cool, almost reminds me of a calceous limestone with marine fossils, but I could be way of the mark.... maybe just phenocrysts of a feldspar? Third pic could be an ignimbrite or tuff, if near a rhyolitic area, but the minerals do not look squished enough... Are they minerals or bits of rock? Last pic looks like large crystals in a fine ground mass, could be rhyolite with plageoclase phenocrysts maybe? But seems like some funny shapes in there as well.
Hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

I have learned from the net that the two grey rocks in the last pic are limestone because the dust off them fizzes with white vinegar and we can see the shells ect in them .. :) I am still learning.. :| I am trying to positively identify the larger rock with the small angular crystals .. :) There is sandstone and a lot of conglomerate around that area and it may be that the whole area was once sea.. There is a very large embankment of the conglomerate a few k,s away that I will stop at next time we pass to look for shells ect.. :/

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to all this but I'm hearing that there is Ruby's and other gems at Barrington.....
Would love to know more... I have maps but if I could get more specific directions to a location eg, creek or rd .... That would be awesome as me and my son have just started out fossicking and only live 1 hour away from Barrington tops/glouster.

Kramer said:
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to all this but I'm hearing that there is Ruby's and other gems at Barrington.....
Would love to know more... I have maps but if I could get more specific directions to a location eg, creek or rd .... That would be awesome as me and my son have just started out fossicking and only live 1 hour away from Barrington tops/glouster.

If you use google earth this link will give you every known mineral deposit in NSW including gold and gems, just click on the little earth picture and open with google earth. It has the Barrington Sapphire/Ruby deposit locations in it.

http://dwh.minerals.nsw.gov.au/CI/warehouse