Bank accounts hacked

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And our justice system is too soft on criminals today.
A slap on the wrist, a couple of days of community service, etc.
BUT THE JAILS ARE FULL! ........... so what, build more jails ......... create more jobs.
Oh and sorry to hear about your trouble Wishful.

A local mate of mine told me that not long ago his account got hacked by somone in the USA to buy stuff there. He has never been out of Australia.
Something wrong in Denmark for sure. We also got told we will definitely get all our money back. That's a huge relief.
Just goes to show you Must keep an eye on your transactions all the time.

As a footnote
Thank you for all your support today people. It was a Big help. Thanks :Y: Also if anyone wants to keep this topic open. It's fine by me.
Just thanks again.
Cheers
Peter J.

My daughter received a call from her bank saying someone was at Tiffany's in New York going crazy with her credit card, she assured them it was OK, it was her. Good to see they are keeping an eye on most out of the ordinary transactions. They have also detected unauthorized activity on her card on two other occasions, both times it was for a small amount which they said was hackers testing their access to her account, her accounts were closed with no loss for her.

Well my Bronny and I are very carefull with how and where we use our c/c but a few days ago we had an urgent email from our bank c/c security,they wanted to know about a rash of transactions on our c/c over the last 3 hours, all in Oz, for about $4500.00
Sounds legit, but we have been out of the country since the 24th August, went through the transactions with them over the phone, couple of "jetstar flights" some hotel bookings,not ours, so they cancelled the card instantly. Lucky we have a cash travell card with sufficient avalable funds for us to keep going.

A common issue whilst travelling ...................... I'd say your card was skimmed. Get a card pouch that protects cards from skimming devices. :Y:

Glad to hear it worked out for the best Xcvator, nice to see bank security is on the ball. Last wallet I bought is protected from card skimming, buggered if I know how it works but I hope it does.
The days of carry cards instead of cash for your safety are gone.

just after xmas I got an early morning urgent notification & query from my bank, my credit card had just been used to buy a pair of shoes LA.
was only a bit over $40 but the bank explained that sometimes they run a low level trial on a fake card to see if it works, If theres no response from the true owner/bank/mastercard, visa etc they then go hard on it.
pays to be vigilant & watch your statements VERY regularly. In my case the bank blocked the transaction so I didnt lose any money.
An least the banks can do this 1 thing right. I was pleased.

After doing a lot of backchecking on my transactions, & I only use my MCard on about 6 online sites. I suspect my MCard details were somehow ripped from Dominoes Pizza.
I sent a query to Dominoes about their online database security & a question as to whether it had been hacked, but got no response from them. :awful:
needles to say, I dont use my MCard online for pizza anymore .... cash in-store only.
and I never use the 'store card details for next time' option, not even on my moblie phone service provider

I don't have a credit card, Internet banking or anything like that where I am exposed to this sort of things, and If I need to buy something off the net I have a special Bank account and deposit via branch into that account the exact amount... Only the other day I was getting a scam email from 'Paypal' saying my account was hacked to the tune of $300.... Reported this to the real paypal via a phone call and I was told this is happening all the time.... You just have to be aware of what you spend and where your cards are used...
I knew someone once who got into this sort of stuff and I was so surprised how much he 'made' a day...

He is now serving 6yrs for Fraud.... And another State will be waiting for him, when he is released... Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.... Scum...

LW....

I get hit with scammers every second day , BS emails & phone calls .
They must target people in the bush because we are more trusting ? :/

I don't buy anything on line unless they offer PayPal , this has saved me more then once !

Every phone call I get that has a foreign accent on the other end gets zapped real quick .

Stuff um '
jack

Latest posts