Bagged up sapphire wash

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen a few posts around here mentioning it and saw it advertised at 7 oaks. I'm thinking of picking up a few bags as a christmas present for family.

What can the forum tell me about it? is it worth it, whats a fair price that sort of thing.
I live around Newcastle and would have to take a weekend holiday to Inverell to pick some up. but it seems like a fun unique gift idea for someone interested in fossicking.

Any information about it would be much appreciated.

We bought 3 bags from the information centre at inverell for $9 each , all 3 bags had half a dozen stones sitting on the top when opened not huge and no cutters but looked as though they had been thrown in to ensure every bag has something .. 1 had a nice stone in amongst the mudballs , and the rest all had bits and pieces, i dont think you will ever find a perfect stone in them but its great fun as a gift like you have said

Great for sieving practice and identification purposes, and also to get that mineral collection started. They all sell bags which are seeded with "Mine Run" sapphires (they've been pre sorted), and the gem quality ones removed. They get a lot more for the low quality ones by bagging them for fossickers than selling them as Industrial stones by the Kilo.

They make a great present as you get to spend some time sieving them from the rest of the wash, and the activity makes a great talking point. If the recipient hasn't already got a set of sieves, 1/4" and 1/8" is the way to go for sapphire hunting.

Just keep in mind that the chances of finding a good quality gem are about as good as winning the lottery....It's an activity you're buying as a present, and that activity can be worth just as much as the gem itself.

Wal.

Billabong Blue usually always put a small cutter in each bucket. Though they are only just starting to mine again as of late this week or sometime next week and have no buckets at the immediate present time though will soon. I was speaking to Bill the owner yesterday and that's what he said. I usually get a couple of buckets for mates who can't make the trip.

7 Oaks buckets/bags I'm not really sure about, though you can call BB on 02 6725 1798. To be honest I'd pay $20 a day at BB and take a few buckets of gravel from the tourist pile home with you after dry seiving and spend a day there, everyone usually has a great day.

http://billabongblue.com.au/

I think I'm going to go this route for the prezzies this year, a bit like a scratchie but more fun.

Do billabong blue sell by the bucket or are you talking about BYO buckets?

I'd like to make myself a 3 day weekend to get up there and have some fun for a full day but I'm looking pretty busy until Christmas.

If anyone's in the area and then around Newcastle I don't mind paying a fair couriers fee if you can save me the drive and overnight costs.
Send me a PM if your interested.

G-day Pegleg :D :D Well what can I say about bagged wash... mmm I will start with Don't waste your money... I purchased several Bags only last week.... full of crap... I found lots of Amethyst.. yes Amethyst nice small pre tumbled, Amethyst that's not found at bb and some tumbled clear quartz and some tumbled clear brown stuff that breaks like beer bottle glass and some more tumbled stuff that's green like chrystophase. As you can tell IM NOT HAPPY.... Didn't expect to find much but seriously don't sell me stuff that's been Salted with stuff that doesn't come from the area..... I sent BB an email of complaint and they haven't bothered to reply. So much for customer service.. so I WON'T be giving them my business or money that's for sure... and Word of mouth is a very powerful thing in this World..... sorry not for me, when you are assured that it comes straight out of the bank of wash on their property....... pure bs I'D SAY... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
But if you want the REAL THING I would recommend Wings of Eagles and dig to find your stones.... If you want i know the Fossicking Guru (guide) for Wings of Eagles and can Organise a personal tour... pm me if you are interested :cool:

AgateHead....

I call BullSH!7 as last week other forum members were also at BB and bill had not started mining yet and did not have wash buckets for sale also we were there the week before and he had not had any pagdirt for sale for a long time also as far as im aware BB sell their paydirt in buckets not bags , sounds to me like someone just trying to drum up business for himself (the "guru" from wings of eagle by any chance ?)

Billabong Blue don't sell bags, they sell buckets. I remember someone did call and ask for buckets but there were none available as 5ft mentioned.

Anyway, the buckets are a bit of a souvenir generally for kids and people who don't really feel like digging and getting into some real fossicking.

BB supplies the wash for "Bag a Beauty" the bags that you buy all over the region. have a look in the bottom corners of the bags and you will see the BB emblem..... and yes I was down for Gemfest stayed down there for two weeks but go down there at least once every 6 weeks... shooting, fossicking ect on my weekender..... At least Wings of Eagles has Sapphires in the creek, unlike BB that gives you wash piled up ready to sive... Ok for some.... Still haven't received an email about the wash..... proves it for me..... :) :) :) Next time you are there buy a bag it has BB emblem on the bag and guess what they do supply the wash for the bags.... not buckets...... As for Wings of Eagles at least you dig in the creek for them...... better 'experience" for the kids and adults instead of sorting out of a pre dug pile... And NO the Guru also goes to BB as well :cool: All in all they won't be getting my $$$ THATS FOR SURE..... and no I didn't purchase the bagged wash from bb but they supply the wash for the bags......

AgateHead....

You need to do some research before you talk mate, at BB you can either sieve the predug pile or you can trek anywhere on the 1000 plus acres and dig where ever you like, creek flats, hard rock outcrops, old river bed or smack bang in the centre of frazers creek. The more you talk the more it sounds like you have business interests or allies with another sapphire park and this is just a grudge thing

well as you are the only one complaining and every one else is happy I think your a turd trying to take some ones business try doing it the right way make a post about how good your best friend is this dose not pass the smell test for me :mad:

AgateHead said:
BB supplies the wash for "Bag a Beauty" the bags that you buy all over the region. have a look in the bottom corners of the bags and you will see the BB emblem..... and yes I was down for Gemfest stayed down there for two weeks but go down there at least once every 6 weeks... shooting, fossicking ect on my weekender..... At least Wings of Eagles has Sapphires in the creek, unlike BB that gives you wash piled up ready to sive... Ok for some.... Still haven't received an email about the wash..... proves it for me..... :) :) :) Next time you are there buy a bag it has BB emblem on the bag and guess what they do supply the wash for the bags.... not buckets...... As for Wings of Eagles at least you dig in the creek for them...... better 'experience" for the kids and adults instead of sorting out of a pre dug pile... And NO the Guru also goes to BB as well :cool: All in all they won't be getting my $$$ THATS FOR SURE..... and no I didn't purchase the bagged wash from bb but they supply the wash for the bags......

AgateHead....

You are full of it AgateHead, Billabong Blue is not affiliated with the brand you mention. It seems you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It sounds like you're trying to badmouth a good company and promote another company which is unfair.

The emblem on the bag is totally different from Billabong Blue's emblem.

As 5ft mentioned you can dig anywhere at Billabong Blue as long as you are not in the way of the mining equipment, the owners are helpfull and very very nice people, it is a family owned business. A bloke did very well there the other week getting numerous quality stones 100 metres from the creek, 5ft was there and I met the bloke also.

No wonder they haven't replied to your email as they probably have no idea what you're on about.....lol.

Well I may be mistaken my Appolgies Guys but when and the only time I went there it was raining and the Guy told us that all other areas were off limits to fossick... so maybe he allows you to fossick anywhere but due to water and slippery areas " stay up here guys " was the order for the weekend. When my missus asked if we could go over there the next day as the weather had cleared he said no body goes there only my guys do, so I might go and have another look-see... now the wash, I was told by the place I purchased it from that it was supplied by BB to the area. and has been for years.. so maybe he was wrong and is telling the wrong info to his customers... who ends up with the wrong end of the stick and here we are :8 ... The Emblem looks like BB to me..... As I said I Don't Pay To Dig....
And no I don't have any business interests in the area except my property and the Mines/Diggings on my patch..... oh and the Pub ;)

AgateHead......

No worries AgateHead, it usually takes a decent bloke to admit that they may have been mistaken. If it had been raining heavily it can get very slippery on the property, coming out of there one day last week after a storm was like driving on butter in my Prado, so I can understand why they limited the areas on the day you mentioned.

If BB supply the gravel/wash they certainly don't put any Amethyst in it, they may supply gravel but they are not their bags and would have no control over what happens with the gravel once supplied. I still don't think they supply the stuff, anyway it's not worth us arguing the point. From the mine they only supply buckets.

Have you found many Sapphs or other gemstones at your weekender?

Anyway I don't mind paying to dig, I see it more as paying for access to a large property, sort of like a toll. :) The public areas have been done to death there and it's hard to find a decent spot unless you live in the area.

No Sapphires on my block. :( .... Mainly Crystals, Tin related Mineral specimens and the occasional piece of Fluorite. :) .. I think its Fluorite.... It's green and softish and well looks like the Fluorite I have found in the area.... still haven't walked the whole block looking for goodies yet, But it keeps me busy when im suppose to be 'relaxing and unwinding'.... when im there that is.... :) Found two very sad looking sheep there last time, They have spent a few years in the bush I think.. so that threw a spanner in the works... no exploring that trip trying to catch them... Man they are fast on rocky hills :lol:

AgateHead.......

A fix for an addiction ,or a good learning for novices
,for 9 bucks a bag will give some satisfaction to the addict,and techniques learned with a set of sieves and some sapphires to the newbie.
It's a pity I can't by them up the local shops where I live .
Bomb or cutter ,1ct or 20ct don't matter to me much ,a new sapphire to my collection is always welcome.
Hmmm ,load the car ,take a sickee ,I think I will go dig a hole :lol: :lol: :lol:

:) Very nice way to put it Varts .... So anybody know if they still do the trailer loads at BB ?..... BYO trailer... Come home with pile of wash to keep you happy :D

AgateHead.....

Update for anyone interested or anyone searching the forum in the future.

Billabong blue didn't have anything for sale when I was there so I can't comment on them and i didn't see any bag a beauty things anywhere I went.

I did pick up 10 bags from 7 oaks for Christmas presents and every bag had a few so it was smiles all around from the grandparents all the way down to the grandkids.
Everyone loved it and living 1/2hr from grabben gullen it gave them the confidence to use the new sieves we got them out in public.
Found a hand full of small ones at GG no cutters though.

All around an excellent present idea, but don't expect to get rich off the bagged up dirt.

Latest posts