Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richo,

You got it !

Also along with the gravity feed,it was lined with hand cut sandstone blocks

My grandfather was a gauge reader on the water board ,lived at Wilton near the tunnel that fed the canal.
An amazing piece of engineering,

Cheers Pete

The Gympie Pyramid is a low terraced structure located in the outskirts of Gympie in Queensland, Australia, probably created by European immigrants in the late 19th or early 20th century.

not likely the stones are to big take a long time to build that and if migrants did cut stone why let others take stone back to town for building projects but it is accepted that is story so over to you ramjet :)

Well I googled it and came across the Wikipedia entry for William Buckley who was in Melbourne before batman and had claimed to be a shipwreck survivor. After youre hint that you had previously posted about it on this forum I then searched your posts and found your shipwreck discovery (awesome find btw :) for those who havent read it, you can find it here: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=19447#p19447

which seems to confirm it.

Sarn said:
Well I googled it and came across the Wikipedia entry for William Buckley who was in Melbourne before batman and had claimed to be a shipwreck survivor. After youre hint that you had previously posted about it on this forum I then searched your posts and found your shipwreck discovery (awesome find btw :) for those who havent read it, you can find it here: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=19447#p19447

which seems to confirm it.

My initial thought was Buckley. Haven't had time to confirm it.
And yes the shipwreck story is awesome. Ultimate treasure hunters dream... But with more gold found ;)

An estimated 1 in 5 Australians have ancestors that spent time in a specific type of institution during the late 18th and early 19th century. What was it and who were likely to have been sent there?

Hint: at one point a unique protest was staged that caused some Onlookers to be astounded and horrified, while others to not be able to control their laughter.

There were 13 of these institutions located in colonial Australia.