Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm

My copy of the Cattle King is 200km away. Now Lissdale was a station in WA, and is known as the origin of 2606 cattle taken by drover Albert Williams across country to Charleville in Queensland, a distance of 2,400 miles.

That's the only connection I can find between Lissdale and the Cattle King, as in those days Sid Kidman was involved in a lot of cattle movements. I don't know if there is a connection with the ship Asphodel, which did sail to WA, but was lost in 1903 after leaving Australian waters in 1898.

He negotiated a shipment of 3612 cattle to Natal in 1902, which was long hailed a record overseas consignment of live cattle.

This have anything to do with it?

gross tons, 1,730 net. Lbd: 310' x 41" x 23'5". Steel steamship / tanker built by A Stephen & Sons, Linthouse for J B Murray & Co., Glasgow. Held a triple expansion engine producing 240 nhp. As a 'freelance tramper' she was chartered by H C Sleigh in January 1896 and advertised for passengers to Fremantle along with her coal carrying obligations. With the coal strike by Newcastle miners in February 1896, H C Sleigh faced the improbability of supplying the coal contract to Western Australia and sought out W R Cave & Co, Port Adelaide in turning over that contract. April 1896 charter transferred to W R Cave & Co and in August 1896 transferred again to Intercolonial Steam Ship Co, Adelaide, all the while continuing her run in that trade. She was advertised under the banner 'Blue Star Line' to the agency of H C Sleigh up until August 1896. January 1898 Intercolonial Steam Ship Co wound itself up and sold it's Fremantle shore based holdings to McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd, transferring the charter of Asphodel simultaneously. Upon the charter being complete in April 1898, she sailed to England, never to return. 1900 sold to Lewis Luckenbach, New York. Vessel renamed Norfolk. 1902 altered into a tanker and renamed S V Luckenbach. Went missng 23 March 1903 after clearing Sabine pass on voyage Port Arthur for Marcus Hook, Philadelphia

Is this the right boat to start with?

Musgravite is an extremely rare member of the taaffeite family that was discovered in 1967 in the Musgrave Range of South Australia. Facet grade musgravite was not reported reported until 1993 and as of 2005, there were only eight musgravite specimens, three of which were identified by Murray Burford, a Canadian gemologist. The mineral was has since turned up in Greenland, Madagascar, Antarctica, Sri Lanka, and Tanzania.

Best i could come up with.
Alfred Aldworth
He was a store keeper there in 1881
Later he became the post master.
If its not him im out.

Latest posts