Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well done backcreek
The Madagascar was built for George and Henry Green at the Blackwall Yard, London. As a result of the Victorian Gold Rush the Madagascar was sent to Melbourne with emigrants under the command of Captain Fortescue William Harris. She left Plymouth on 11 March 1853 and, after an uneventful passage of 87 days, reached Melbourne Australia on the 10th of June 1853.

There, the Madagascar loaded a cargo including a box of specie, 8 boxes of silver, 9 boxes of Sovereigns (about 60,000 gold coins) and 86 boxes of gold dust and nuggets for a total weight of 68,390 ounces (about two tons) belonging to several British banks and assured by wellknown insurances companies. Nowadays, the value of this cargo could be estimated up to US$ 150 million. That is without counting the personal gold carried by some of the 110 passengers who had made their fortune in the diggings and were returning home as rich men

your go

My go.

Sorry I'm a bit late, I've been packing things for the weekend.

My Question is this:- In the year 1900 what was the generally accepted estimate for life expectancy of the Broken Hill load deposit?

Cheers
Mick

I think there is about 40 buckets to the tonne so work that one out :D
How long do you recon it would take you to classify and pan that off?

Hi All,
Sorry, I've been away for the weekend and haven't had a chance to look at the forum.
No one's even close as yet. I thought this could be a hard one but I also thought someone would have got it by now.
Let's not turn it into a guessing competition.

Cheers
Mick

I have spent many hours on this one. I have read and learnt a tonne off Oz/Broken Hill history I didn't know before. Thanks for that :)
But no closer to an answer yet :(
I will keep trying.
I do love my history I:)

Ramjet said:
I have spent many hours on this one. I have read and learnt a tonne off Oz/Broken Hill history I didn't know before. Thanks for that :)
I will keep trying.

It's all about the hunt :D Just like chasing gold of fishing or hunting.
Even trying to find a decent question is a task that takes some time.

Enjoy

Cheers
Mick

backcreek said:
Ramjet said:
I will keep trying.

It's all about the hunt :D Just like chasing gold of fishing or hunting.
Even trying to find a decent question is a task that takes some time.

Enjoy

Cheers
Mick
Agree 100%
It's all about the hunt. I enjoy reading history I've not heard before. I'll keep trying to find an answer yet:)

Latest posts