Australian History BOOKS

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the popularity of The Duck's Australian History game, I thought I would kick off list of Australian history books. Hopefully we can suggest a few to each other to help history fans to find some interesting reading. Don't have to be strictly history books but interesting books about our past.

Australian History Game. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1236

To kick off here are a couple I've enjoyed.

Redbill. Kate Lance
1424403216_redbill.jpg

There were once hundreds of ketches like Redbill fishing for pearlshell in the waters of the old northwest, but few had her gift for survival or friendship.
Built in 1903, Redbill sailed through the great days of Broome pearling and the hard years of the Depression. When war came to the Pacific, Redbill was there as the first bombs fell on Darwin. When her pearling years ended, Redbill took on new lives and new masters. In Papua she hunted crocodiles in giant swamps, carried cargo for missionaries and lived with ex-headhunters as they rebuilt their lost artistic past.
As Redbill of Greenpeace she sailed the South Pacific to defy the French. She helped the refugees of East Timor, she carried troubled teenagers through the waters of Bass Strait and she found the way home for a young Aboriginal man.
Over a century Redbill coped with a lot - and then she ran into Rosita, the most powerful tropical cyclone to strike Broome in ninety years...
Like many before her, author Kate Lance fell for Redbill's gentle magic, and in this richly illustrated book she traces the many lives of a most unusual lugger.

Hell, west and crooked. Tom Cole
1424403286_hellwest.jpg

The horses are hell west and crooked - it'll take a week to muster them." In this remarkable autobiographical account, Tom Cole tells the stories of his life in the outback during the 1920s and 1930s. With great humour and drama, he recounts his adventures as a drover and stationhand in the toughest country in Australia and later on as a buffalo shooter and crocodile hunter in the Northern Territory before the war.

Tom Cole has a couple of other good books. The last Paradise. Riding the wild man plains. Good reads.

Bar Dangerous - A Maritime History of Newcastle by Terry Callen

This one may be hard to find. I've spent several years trying to track it down after I lent my original copy to somebody and never got it back. Cost me twice what I paid for the first copy.
1424403456_bar_dangerous.jpg

The Man Who Invented Vegemite: The True Story behind an Australian Icon. Jamie Callister
1424403591_vegimite.jpg

He was the grandson of a gold miner who arrived in Ballarat in the 1850s. His own father, a widower, raised a small army of kids, and Cyril was the first to go to university. He was sent to England during WWI and in the 1920s was employed by the flamboyant and entrepreneurial Fred Walker, charged with the task of creating a substance that would, in time, be named Vegemite. Cyril remained at Kraft until his death in 1949. He was a progressive boss and encouraged further training for all of his staff, many of them women. Cyril was also a husband and father to three childrentwo were struck down by polio as children, while the third, a fighter pilot, was tragically killed while on a dawn air sortie in the Trobriand Islands, east of PNG during WWII.

Oh WOW Ramjet, great idea for a thread!
As a bit of a bookworm, I'll look forward to everyone's suggestions.
'Redbill' is already on order as a gift for my father.
Speaking of him, a few months back he passed this one on to me, but wanted it back to keep after I finished it (I normally pass on all books to someone who reads them, then takes them to work & leaves them in a prison library).

'The Ghosts of Roebuck Bay'......by Ian Shaw.

Hope this link works :8

http://www.panmacmillan.com.au/display_title.asp?ISBN=9781742612362&Author=W. Shaw, Ian

Thanks Piston. I'm a big reader too. Australian History being a favorite topic. We can help each other out with good reads. I've got 2 already from you and Magilla :D
Redbill is a good book. I will read it again after I finish the books I'm reading. Fascinating what a life a simple boat can have.

DR. Tim Flannery has brought out a lot of interesting reading books , most of which I have purchased ;

1788 --- Journal of Watkin Tench , a royal Marine who sailed with the first fleet and chronicles the first 4 years of settlement till he returned to England in 1792.

TERRA AUSTRALIS --- Journal of Matthew Flinders covering his circumnavigation voyages of Australia ( my favourite ) .

THE BIRTH OF SYDNEY --- A compilation of journal entries and overview of the settlement of the Sydney colony.

MELBOURNE --- a compilation of journal entries and overview of the settlement of the Melbourne colony.

WILLIAM BUCKLEY --- the story and biography of William buckley , from his own recollections of escaping as a convict from the first attempted settlement of Melbourne (Victoria ) and living with the aboriginies for 30 years around the Port Phillip area before being rediscovered by the Batman settlement expedition. (hence the saying "buckleys chance" )

THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF JOHN NICHOLS , MARINER --- A journal of ships cooper John Nichols who sailed to Sydney with the second fleet and had circumnavigated the world 3 times on various voyages .

Also good reading ;

EVOLUTIONS CAPTAIN by peter Nichols --- The dark story of Robert FitzRoy , captain of the HMS BEAGLE; " the most brilliant and scientific sea captain of his age, who used the Beagle, a survey vessel, as a laboratory for the new field of the natural sciences " ; who took Charles Darwin on his 5 year voyage which gave birth to Darwins " theory of evolution " .

I'm a collector and reader of Idriess who wrote about a lot of events that took place in our history.

Other good reading,

GOLD! The fever that forever changed Australia. by David Hill

Australian Bushrangers by George Boxall

The Bloodiest Bushrangers by John O'Sullivan (about the Clarke Brothers)

Great Moments in Australian History by Jonathan King

Valleys of Gold by Brian Hodge (History of the discovery of gold around Ophir, Turon, Sofala, Hill end, Tambaroora, the Meroo)

Obviously Australian history is rather short compared to many other countries.
Should there be any boundaries on what we can recommend on this thread?
I'm a little unsure?
I'm currently reading a book about (mostly) Aussie WW2 POW's.
Is that good enough to recommend?
Or would most rather it stay Australian land based?
I'm not fussed either way.....just don't want to rock the boat.
Cheers.

backcreek said:
The Bloodiest Bushrangers by John O'Sullivan (about the Clarke Brothers)

Great book backcreek, really enjoyed it also!

Here is a free e-book available on google books about the Eureka Stockade.

Great reading written in factual wording by a man who was actually involved (Raffaello Carboni), and Peter Lalor's right hand man.

The old colonial slang and terms used are fantastic!

Includes lots of examples of official court documents of the time, as well as those from the Queens red coats and the Victorian traps!

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...esc=y#v=onepage&q=the eureka stockade&f=false

;)

Latest posts