aussie pub rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LMAO.......good one Dave, who can go past classic aussie pub rock mate!

Reminds me of a great pub band we used to go see in Darwin many moons ago....The Poor.

If they didnt tear the old Berrimah pub down, the crowds we used to get along watching these guys back then would have!

Cheers

My Pub music was AC/DC, Beatles, Stepin Wolf, The Animals, Pink Floyd, Any x beatles stuff. The Who, Suzzi Quatro any 70s to mid 80s music. Sad but I remember the original Woodstock song....by....Crosby Steel and Nash was it 1968 ?

That vid reminds me of a few bands I've seen Dave and a few of the venues around Sydney. :) I've seen Radio Birdman a few times, pretty good rockin band. I'm pretty sure my mates band supported them last time I saw them play. My mates band Dr Zeus were pretty legendary locally around here, they are a very hard rockin Aussie band. Pity that there is not one single pub with rock n roll in my area anymore, they are all trendy discos that sell cocktails these days. :(

If you like rock have a listen to Dr Zeus, you'll love it. I had quite a bit of a hand in mixing and recording this. :D
https://myspace.com/originaldrzeus/music/song/climbin-the-wall-14980653-14781838?play=1
https://myspace.com/originaldrzeus/music/song/black-velvet-angel-14980652-14781837?play=1

Spy vs Spy were always great too, been listening to them a bit lately.
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey9tJUxMk8Q[/video]

Numb_Thumb said:
LMAO.......good one Dave, who can go past classic aussie pub rock mate!

Reminds me of a great pub band we used to go see in Darwin many moons ago....The Poor.

If they didnt tear the old Berrimah pub down, the crowds we used to get along watching these guys back then would have!

Cheers

I'm pretty sure I've seen The Poor play around here many years ago as well, from what I remember they were pretty good.

I think we were blessed here in Newy
We've had all the Aussie big guns on a regular bassis
Cold chisel , radiators , noisworks , choirboys , swanee , angels , rose tattoo , mentals , divynals , hoodoo gurus
Plus bucket loads of lesser known bands
Dv8 , spy v spy ,spin doctors , four play , funbusters , smokin sidecars , bondi cigars , cockroaches and so many others i cant remember
And who could forget the Heroes !?!?
1979 Star hotel riot

Bob Hudson - Newcastle Song :lol: mid '70s
Or this bloke .. quite a few years later
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W6l64NAIeDY

Sandta said:
I think we were blessed here in Newy
We've had all the Aussie big guns on a regular bassis
Cold chisel , radiators , noisworks , choirboys , swanee , angels , rose tattoo , mentals , divynals , hoodoo gurus
Plus bucket loads of lesser known bands
Dv8 , spy v spy ,spin doctors , four play , funbusters , smokin sidecars , bondi cigars , cockroaches and so many others i cant remember
And who could forget the Heroes !?!?
1979 Star hotel riot

Bob Hudson - Newcastle Song :lol: mid '70s
Or this bloke .. quite a few years later
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W6l64NAIeDY

Newy had an awesome Pub band culture back in the day. :D

Heatho said:
That vid reminds me of a few bands I've seen Dave and a few of the venues around Sydney. :) I've seen Radio Birdman a few times, pretty good rockin band. I'm pretty sure my mates band supported them last time I saw them play. My mates band Dr Zeus were pretty legendary locally around here, they are a very hard rockin Aussie band. Pity that there is not one single pub with rock n roll in my area anymore, they are all trendy discos that sell cocktails these days. :(

If you like rock have a listen to Dr Zeus, you'll love it. I had quite a bit of a hand in mixing and recording this. :D
https://myspace.com/originaldrzeus/music/song/climbin-the-wall-14980653-14781838?play=1
https://myspace.com/originaldrzeus/music/song/black-velvet-angel-14980652-14781837?play=1

Spy vs Spy were always great too, been listening to them a bit lately.
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey9tJUxMk8Q[/video]

Spy, s!
seen em a few times, had their 1st E.P on tape, a song called C.E.S Limbo, Think it was during the recession we had to have, I was on the dole.
as fate would have it, I was working for Paspaley Pearls on a remote farm on the Coburg Penninsular NT, many moons ago, and we had this eccentric chef out there, he was a great cook. He saw I had a Birdman symbol tatt, and we talked music for a while....he is the guy singing on the U Tube clip you posted!

Still have the Screaming Jets and plenty of other aussie rock in my weekly playlist!

Just wish id been old enough to witness the golden age of pub rock in newie...

I used to spend a fair bit of time in various clubs and pubs in the 70's and 80's

Big acts like Split Ends (with the funny suits and loaf hair) used to do pubs like the Sylvania Hotel.

Two acts I remember enjoying were Continental Robert Susze and the Dynamic Hepnotics, and Joe Camelliri and the Black Sorrows. Both are still performing and are still great. I met Joe at a show about 10 years ago, and he was a genuinely nice bloke.

I used to really like bassist Jackie Orszaczky, who had hot soul/jazz combo with great backing singers, but he sadly passed away in 2008.

We used to see these acts at the Landsdowne in City Road. For the real pub bands, the Newtown Hotel and the Sandringham were good.

One act that I did not catch back then was Russell Morris. I saw him at a show a few years ago, where he performed a mix of his new blues stuff as well as all his old hits. He was fantastic, and had a really hot band.

Russell Morris is a genius guitarist, really good.
Old haunts for me were the General Bourke, Landsdowne, Vulcan, Time and tide, Ryans, Headlands, the iron duke among others.....the phonecian club....more that ive forgotton, used to go and see the the trilobites, the hard ons, celebate rifles, the new christs, the lime spiders, zambian goat hearders, tumbleweed, as well as the more mainstream bands like the radiators, angels, midnight oil even saw Inxs at pubs, port maquarie RSL, lol.
Then there are the acts that dont really suit my style that I actually enjoyed live like Jon English...blew me away!
Most memorable acts....Radio Birdman, Sunny boys, rose tattoo, jon English, the amazing Zarzoff bros, split enz last tour, enz with a bang.powderfinger. the poor rocked hard. Beasts of bourbon.

International acts that were good and terrible, lol.
Motorhead were the Loudest by far. DEF LEPPARD were the worst by far....wish I could have that hour back, sex pistols filthy lucre tour was so so good, ZZ top were amazing,

Forgot Johnos blues band!

I used to have a beer at the Marlbrough Hotel in Newtown with Jeremy Oxley from the Sunny Boys when I was a postgrad student at Sydney University. We used to go down there as a local, and Jeremy started talking to me one day. After that I used to chat with him regularly for about a year. Unfortunately, he was on the down hill run with mental illness at the time. They were a really good act before he got ill, and he was a nice bloke to talk to, but used to come up with some unusual ideas.

All those places and acts sure bring back memories, Dave! John English was a really good performer. I remember seeing an episode of Hey Hey it's Saturday which had John Farnham and Tom Jones on it. They sang a duet, and I thought Tom would blast him off the stage, but John was every bit as good.

I actually grew up in pubs, and in the late 60s used to live at the Pacific Hotel in Manly, which had one of the main venues in Sydney at the time, the Canopus Room.

Every Friday and Saturday night all you could hear in our flat was the bands, but with 10pm closing (I don't remember if it went later) it was not too bad. Doug Parkinson's band the Questions was the resident act. He could sing that's for sure. I think that experience really developed my interest in music.

Latest posts