Araluen NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I have been lucky enough to gain access to private property at Araluen NSW and will hopefully be heading out in the next few weeks.
The property is a good few hundred acres and has river frontage. I havent had any successful panning trips yet so just have a few questions please.

Would it be worthwhile to hire a detector and take that as well as my minimal panning gear? Are there any gems found out there or is it just the gold 8)
Has anyone had any luck out there before?
Anyone have any tips?

Without ever visiting this area all I can say is there's probably no harm in taking a detector, you never know you might ping yourself a nice nugget. Do you know if gold has ever been discovered on this property?

Hi Shomethemoney, Araluen was back in the 1850's the most productive goldfield in NSW for a while. Most of the gold was alluvial. There was that much gold coming out of this place the famous Aussie bush ranger, "Ben Hall" and his men knocked off plenty of gold being transported north to Sydney back then. The area is still being mined by a publicly listed gold company today.
Cheers

I'd say yes, depending on the detector, If its the GPX 5000 or alike you plan to hire, anything less i wouldn't bother with..

I had a friend, Sadly passed away, but about 11 years ago he told me about he and his wife working one of the small creeks at Araluen, while cleaning out his highbanker he pulled a large flat nugget out of the grizzly bars, thinking it was a rock, he tossed it in the stream... and spent the next 4 hours searching for it.. (he did eventually find it) .. 2.71Oz if i remember correctly..

You never know if you don't try :)

Good luck spud, if you don't look you will never find. 8) Sounds promising enough to give it a go.

With your sapphire finding luck, I have no doubt you find what you are looking for. Hopefully enough to set one of your stones in yellow. ;)

thanks guys :)
i didn't end up going as the weather was not very nice lol
i think there are some " claims" on the property - is that what they are called? hopefully get out there this coming weekend :lol:

Spud said:
thanks guys :)
i didn't end up going as the weather was not very nice lol
i think there are some " claims" on the property - is that what they are called? hopefully get out there this coming weekend :lol:

i know there was a company that put in an exploration licence application 2 months ago that pretty much covered the whole Aruluen area including the centre area,another was applied for last week with 69 square kilometres between captains flat and queanbeyan,this whole region is getting hammered with applications at the moment .

Hey everyone, been a while since I've posted, hope you're all doing well and fattening up for winter.
This is a shout out to all the south N.S.W Prospectors/Diggers/Hatters/Old Timers/Fly Catching Rock Hermits!
I've got a few questions for anyone that knows anything about Araluen creek !?
Things like when does the river dry up?
What was the most common form of mining?
Is there still gold to be found in Araluen creek?
If so, typically where does it sit i.e. bedrock, flood gold, all the way through, or only crevices?
And have you heard of detectable gold being found there in recent times?
I have been reading articles about that area on Trove but if you know of any interesting ones about Araluen creek in particular please let me know.
I'm leaving my questions a bit late as I'll be going out on Wednesday but I thought I'd try anyway.
Cheers n beers, NUGS
Followed is a picture of a booger I picked yesterday, whilst panning. :Y:
1523268041_photo_on_9-04-2018_at_7.58_pm.jpg

The first time i was down there i was using the highbanker and go a bit
last time i was down there i was just doing crevices got a bit but like everything these days time was short
So sorry i cant help much more then that

Hey mate!
So were you in Araluen creek itself ? Good to hear theres a bit of colour around!
Ill be staying on some land that 'supposedly' was once a mine! Im not sure wether I should try and figure out what they were using to process pay, then go through the tailings or just stick to the little bit of Araluen creek that runs through the property? (if its even flowing) I think I need a plan so I'm not running round like a fox in a chook house!

I was in the creek at the camp ground right up the northern end as far as i could go maybe 2 years ago now
Also was on private land up in the hills to the eastern side of the pub got nothing not even a cold

Hmmm, looks like ill be staying in a place void of $ signs :rolleyes:
Thanks heaps 7.62, I'll let you know how I go!
Gonna catch you at the ford one of these days, if you ever make it down this way be sure to let us know! :Y:

Hi all. I've never been to Araluen, but I hear there's fossicking to be done there.

Any recommendations/guidance/mud maps?

I'm keen on panning creeks and perhaps some crystal hunting if it's around.

Baz.

Plenty of gold still to be found in both Araluen and Majors Creek. Very very dry at the moment but. You would be lucky to find a puddle to pan in

Passed through Araluen last weekend. Had no idea where to go though, so didn't get a chance to try my luck. I had the pans on the car too. :(

i have permission for private property that has a major high flowing creek running through it
any of the creeks there will produce a bit at times
last time i was there i just stopped at every creek i crossed and done some panning
the ones that were dry i took a bucket and panned at the next one that had water

1554367851_araluen_nsw.jpg

I'd be keen to hook up with any of you next time you're out there, for a bit of an intro on the area.

I'm in Canberra.

Baz.

Latest posts