Anyone planning 1 last legal highbanking trip ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Chris..My father was born in Hartley Vale! :p All my family came from Lithgow...You might know a few!. For years and years the local 'Langlands Cup' was a feature of the local junior soccer comp.My Mother was born in Tingah but the family moved to Lithgow around 1915. My great-grandfather was the School Master at Hartley vale.He retired in 1916 and grew Apples at 'Stormville"just out of the old town...Grandfather was a jeweler and watch maker..he started at the Lithgow Arms factory at the outbreak of the war in 1914, as a timekeeper and - sight-setter,on the old Lee Enfields.My mother was a Goodwin and they lived in Davy St. I got cousins all over Lithgow!..Clarkes, Northey, Langlands, Goodwins, the list goes on! :p :p

:p
1503743660_gold_waashing.jpg
1503743700_bushranger.jpg

well slap me down and give me a good kick in the head, just got a email from our friends that my fossicking licence is due to expire and i can renew it on line, and no info on the legality on using the good old highbanker , the licence is still $ 27.50 but you must be able to present one if asked for evidence if fossicking in a state forest, I'm a pensioner now, no info if pensioners get a discount so will chase that one up,
I will believe the nightmare when the NSW state government advertises the change relating to high bankers on national or state media announcement campaign, until then,,,, I know nothing , I hear nothing , the NSW government did not indicate any changes in their email to me, and on the thought of the last highbanker sounds like a movie ohhh that was the last samurai, I have 2 thoughts on modifying my equipment to be able to have a disconnection from the pump hose if questioned on site, a pain in the neck , just adding a few more pvc pipes to support the spray bar and the other wait for it knock up a pine highbanker because i got the stuff lying around so if they confiscate it i won't be out of pocket interesting to see how any regulators would approach that scenario

iamagoldenoldie2 the "Fossicking Licence" is completely separate to NSW Resources & is only a permit for NSW State Forests - not a whole of state licence. NSW State Forests are run by the Forestry Corporation of NSW - basically a state owned company not exactly the NSW State Government. Depending on area & the Ranger there has been a lot of "grey" with highbanking in State Forests too.
These "changes" aren't really changes either. They haven't changed anything from the legislation already in place. What they have done is chosen to have a period of enforcement i.e. a crackdown on what they interpret that legislation to be - in their eyes highbanking has always been illegal. To them it is right now & will be in the period of enforcement & again after.
I can see where your coming from & I don't in any part agree with what is happening but people need to realise this isn't a change with a grace period - this is a notified period of enforcement on what they already consider illegal activity. :N:

It should also be noted that there is nowhere in the legislation that says the pump has to be connected to the highbanker. Highbankers dont even get a mention. So if you are pumping water for the purpose of processing material it is of no consequence if the hose is attached to the HB or not.

Well fellas it just proves there is always someone out there that wants to stop someone else from doing what they enjoy, i have a saying that you are free to do as your told

They simply want to lock the bush up .....step by step they are strangling the ways we can enjoy it .
IF you pay taxes or have done so all your working life, any goverment bushland is technically yours anyway , as you are a financial member/shareholder of the Australian government. Imo.
I think people should hold off breaking these laws while the fight to over turn the ban is going , plus it seems like a blitz on policing it till the end of the year , they will run out of revenue to do it forever, i dont give the fight to much hope as these government people dont care they just lock the bush up thinking they are saving the world but the truth is the feral animals and noxious weeds take over .
This power assisted fossicking ban isnt locking the bush up but its still another knife in the guts towards their goal of stutopia.

Do your part to help by doing the survey thats on the forum, https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23182
join Napha ,
contact your local member if you live in a fossicking area and make it clear that the people that are making the rules dont even understand how a high banker works . We dont suck gravel , we dont hose the overburden off and we always clean up others rubbish and fix unfilled holes .

Hello All,
thank you for you comments on my recent post, I reread my post after reading this
comment
"the "Fossicking Licence" is completely separate to NSW Resources & is only a permit for NSW State Forests - not a whole of state licence. NSW State Forests are run by the Forestry Corporation of NSW - basically a state owned company not exactly the NSW State Government. Depending on area & the Ranger there has been a lot of "grey" with highbanking in State Forests too."

I did not mentioned in my post that the application of the fossicking license applied to the whole of the state , and as the reply comment confirms, it only applies to NSW state forests and I now wonder how many forum readers actually have a current fossicking licence to fossick in a NSW state forest, and yes I know, you don't need one for crown land or privately owned lands where you have the landowners consent , The reason I mentioned this relates to the conditions endorsed on a fossicking permit, the conditions are specific , back and white so to speak. I am not going to attempt to name all state government departments that regulate the state of NSW, the names change at wim along with ministerial changes but at the end of the day all crown land or state land is under the control of the state government, one way or another. A way to describe the NSW State Government is that it is like an octopus , has head that contains the ministers and buearocrats and then many legs that formulate and implement policy,
BB's comment has a strong relationship to pumping water from any waterway in NSW , it's appears to be totally illegal without having the appropriate licence issued by another state government body to do so.
One dark and stormy night while trolling thru the PERE pages ,I found a comment on a prosecution for illegal fossicking, identity of the person not identified but fined $2500, I have not found the exact page I was reading from but there is this that I found tonight googling,

Fossicking in NSW - NSW Resources and Energy
www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.gov.au/miners-and-explorers/fossicking-in-nsw

1 Cached
A fossicker panning for gold in Sofala, New South Wales. ... Mining Act 1992 Mining Regulation 2016 NSW Office of Environment & Heritage Fossil Club of...

As to the comment on the enforcement period, if the state government regulator only administers enforcement for a prescribed period , as suggested the coming September & October period , then this could be considered as corrupt conduct by the state government, the enforcement is during the period the act or regulation is in force , hence we need you all to join NAPF so we have a body to implement the removal of unjust and /or unenforceable legislation
As for the highbanker , I have formed a fresh opinion on its use after tonights research on legislation in force.

Rather than enforcement period what I should have called it is "compliance & enforcement activities priorities period". They have declared it a priority for that particular calendar period.

"Every six months the NSW Resources Regulator identifies priorities for compliance & enforcement activities in addition to their day-to-day compliance activities."

What I was trying to get at is this isn't a one off or the start of a new law. It's a crackdown on what they consider to be in place already & you can get done today just as much as you can get done in their identified compliance priorities period & then afterwards too. Poor wording from me.

It is legal to take water in NSW for legal fossicking:
New South Wales Consolidated Regulations said:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/wmr2011312/sch5.html
WATER MANAGEMENT (GENERAL) REGULATION 2011 - SCHEDULE 5
SCHEDULE 5 Exemptions
(Clauses 18 and 39)
Part 1 - Access licence exemptions

7 Prospecting or fossicking

Any person lawfully engaged in prospecting or fossicking for minerals or petroleum under the Mining Act 1992 or the Petroleum (Onshore) Act 1991 -in relation to:

(a) the taking of water required for such prospecting or fossicking pursuant to a lease, licence, mineral claim or environmental assessment permit under the Mining Act 1992 or a petroleum title under the Petroleum (Onshore) Act 1991 (an "authority" ), up to a maximum of 3 megalitres for all such prospecting or fossicking pursuant to each such authority in any water year, and

(b) the taking of up to 3 megalitres of water required for all other such prospecting or fossicking in any water year.
Struck out the bit that doesn't apply to the hobbyist.

Might as well just find private property and set up a dredge lol

This is just silly now. The GoldHog is be getting dusty

mbasko , your a legend with your archives on the legislation, I missed that section because of where it was buried and as I have mentioned before , the regulations give the acts the teeth, so , we can have a small capacity pump pumping water from a watercourse , as permitted by that section of that regulation, the focus again is on that apparatus called a highbanker, if its not physically connected to the pump, then it still remains as how one interperets the context of the legislation , the wording and the intent of the wording will be a test of the application of the legislation in the courts , once a court rules on an issue , that issue then becomes case law, we know that the fossicking activity is a lawful , pumping water under a certain volume is permitted, however, a fossicking permit for fossicking in an approved area of a state forest is likely to have specific conditions endorsed on that permit that clearly indicates small scale hand operation in state forests, back to crown lands,, the verdict is still out, on private land it should be ok as long as you don't exceed a scale that would warrant development consent being required under the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, where the use of land is one of the criteria which is examined. I am not a legal practitioner but one of my roles in local government did involve regulatory enforcement and I had the authority to issue penalty infringement notices (PIN) when the prima facea evidence required could be established.
In my opinion, if you are challenged on your activity, you are legally required to supply your details, however, if you have have a good understanding and sound knowledge of the legislation, you could debate the issue on site to minimise the possibility of being issued with a PIN, if a PIN is issued , then it is pay the fine or challenge the issue in the court, no other option left, in your onsite interview, be polite and ask to see the officers identification, he or she should have identified themselves and presented such identification upon commencement of their interview with you, never admit to an alleged offence as this is the first thing they try to obtain as prima facae evidence , your acknowledgement. Get a pen and paper to write down what questions have been asked and answered by all parties but give the caution before you start, the caution is , I intend to take notes of our conversation and may use it as evidence in any court proceedings. remember don't be smart, be polite. I can tell you from experience, this puts a lot of pressure on you because you have to be factual and precise with obtaining the evidence for a successful prosecution , cross examination is nerve racking , a good defence lawer will try to trip you up , the taking of contemperaniuos field notes can be used to refresh your mind in the court, and adds weight to your defence, as its hard to question your recollection of the interview, the options for the officer is to issue a PIN , or take your details so he/she can discuss with their supervisor or even better issue you with a warning on their opinion and not proceed with legal proceedings
I feel like a rat writing this but I believe in natural justice not kangaroo court actions, what you do is your decision , just be prepared,
Now for another thought, this morning on the news I heard that politicians with dual citizenships was raised in the early 1990's , it was held then that the elected pollies were not valid pollies in parliament, does that mean that perhaps all legislation made and passed since 1990 by the parliament could be held as invalid , they did not do anything about the issue then, but today the issue has risen and is gathering momentum as to the legal standing of pollies with dual citizenships ,the question has there been a breach of constitutional law

So for those of you saying F--- it, i'm doing it anyway.
Whats the difference between a HB and a dredge then? Illegal is illegal, may as well dredge if the risk will be the same.

The difference is a highbanker may still yet have a chance of being interpreted as legal if people are sensible now. Dredges IMO will never again be legal outside of a mining leaseholder with a comprehensive environmental plan.
If people aren't sensible now & resort to using equipment well outside of any grey area, like dredges etc., then ultimately we'll most likely see the highbanker go the same way. Completely outlawed & never to be discussed again. Pretty sad seeing people on here thinking this is all just an opening for "oh well if I'm going to get caught I may as well go all the way".
At the moment if you get caught highbanking & fined there is a chance, with assistance & if willing to fight it in court, that you may get off. Intent is a big thing in legislation & there are those who believe that the original intent of the legislation wasn't to outlaw highbankers but it was to outlaw equipment like dredges, trommels etc.
Get caught with a dredge & IMO you have no chance of getting off or arguing your case! They are already a done deal. Don't make it easy for them to just blanket ban anything remotely fitting into the "powered" category!