Anyone know their Damascus steel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always had an interest in metals coming from a line of blacksmiths.
My dad and his dad were blacksmiths.
My son also done blacksmithing as an elective in high school in Queensland for a short time.
I remember playing on my grandfathers bellows/forge as a very young kid.

Now I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on the making of Damascus steel and now have the inclination on buying a knife.
I know that some Damascus knives are extremely expensive which is understandable taking in the time and effort involved.
But there are some nice looking knives on eBay for around $95 $150 and up.
Anyone bought and tried anyone of them in that price range and are they ridgeydidge as far as being Damascus steel.
I've seen some which are artificially etched for the pattern and cheap as chips

Thanks for any insights

If they are that cheap, the Damascus is probably out of Pakistan, mass produced from shit steel and won't be hardenable.

A lot of the photos they use are not the same as the item and the finish is usually woeful.

If you care about your money, just don't.

A good quality Damascus blade should cost hundreds of dollars, to thousands, depending on fit and finish, size, complexity and who made it. (I could never charge as much as an ABS recognised master bladesmith.)

The last billet I made took me five hours, just to make the Damascus bar, then days to make the knife. No maker is going to let go of that much work for peanuts.

I hope that clears it up.

Baz.

Genuine Wootz/Damascus died out in the mid-1700s, smith's today can imitate it with high carbide billet welding and acid etching. But it's misguided to call a damask pattern blade Damascus or Wootz steel that has been forged recently.

What kind of knife you after even?

I paid around $100 each for a Gyuto and Santoku rated at HRC601 and below 100N razor standard. They are so sharp you can shave your goolies with them :Y:

Old holden coil and leaf springs make excellent blades, they have a high molybdenum count, absolutely fantastic steel if you are inclined to forge your own.

Need so much bloody gear to do it that's all.

Thomo said:
I've always had an interest in metals coming from a line of blacksmiths.
My dad and his dad were blacksmiths.
My son also done blacksmithing as an elective in high school in Queensland for a short time.
I remember playing on my grandfathers bellows/forge as a very young kid.

Now I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on the making of Damascus steel and now have the inclination on buying a knife.
I know that some Damascus knives are extremely expensive which is understandable taking in the time and effort involved.
But there are some nice looking knives on eBay for around $95 $150 and up.
Anyone bought and tried anyone of them in that price range and are they ridgeydidge as far as being Damascus steel.
I've seen some which are artificially etched for the pattern and cheap as chips

Thanks for any insights

Proper Damascus steel baldes, (swords) are way into the thousands of $ and even excellent quality kitchen blades are many hundreds if done properly.

Your right though is is amazing to see the finished result, and watch the process.

I reckon this guy on youtube does excellent work if you can ignore the BS babble he goes on with while doing the work.

This is the finished sword, part 10, if you want to watch the whole making you need to go back to part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPMUbCmYZ8&t=551s

yep...could see myself thumping into the handles of one of those with a mallet recessing door hinges :D

With respect, most bladesmiths (my vocation) know the origins of Damascus. Anyone can look it up.

Many people get a little wrapped around the axles about it. The common term for pattern-welded steel today is Damascus, or Modern Damascus. Generally, manipulated layers of a couple of types of high-carbon steel, say - 1075 and 15n20, but there are many variants.

Point being, when you say a blade is Damascus, everyone knows what you mean.

Much mass-produced stock is rolled out in bars and sheet and is often not the best quality or type of steel.

Cheers,

Baz.

Geeze, can't you get the wrong end of the stick at times. When I saw the title I thought, yeah, Ive had Damascus steel stuff, yep,I sure did, a Damascus twist shotgun :D when I was about 18

I've got knives from Victorinox, Mundial, Gustav Emilern, Shun, Global and even a Kurosaki Hammer Forged Guyoto.

They are all good knives if you know how to sharpen them.

last year bought some BRILJERA knives from Ikea because they were relatively cheap (but Ikea's most expensive line) and I just was curious about them. Turns out they are excellent.

Advertised as 67-layered Damascus steel with a VG10 core, they hold an edge very well and balance very comfortably in the hand.

These are obviously an industrial knife and not up to the standard of a hand forged blade. However, they are durable and excellent value for money and great for the home cook. The hand forged knives have a aesthetic value that goes beyond their utilitarian employment in cutting things in the kitchen.

After using oil and water stones for many years, I lashed out and bought a Tormek. That thing is great and all my knives and chisels are shaving sharp. My idea is that when I retire next year I will be able to make some pocket money sharpening knives, scissors, chisels, plane blades and even axes. Many people have a knife block and don't know how to sharpen the knives.

In between sharpenings I just use a fine ceramic steel.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/briljera-cooks-knife-30257579/

DrDuck said:
I've got knives from Victorinox, Mundial, Gustav Emilern, Shun, Global and even a Kurosaki Hammer Forged Guyoto.

They are all good knives if you know how to sharpen them.

last year bought some BRILJERA knives from Ikea because they were relatively cheap (but Ikea's most expensive line) and I just was curious about them. Turns out they are excellent.

Advertised as 67-layered Damascus steel with a VG10 core, they hold an edge very well and balance very comfortably in the hand.

These are obviously an industrial knife and not up to the standard of a hand forged blade. However, they are durable and excellent value for money and great for the home cook. The hand forged knives have a aesthetic value that goes beyond their utilitarian employment in cutting things in the kitchen.

After using oil and water stones for many years, I lashed out and bought a Tormek. That thing is great and all my knives and chisels are shaving sharp. My idea is that when I retire next year I will be able to make some pocket money sharpening knives, scissors, chisels, plane blades and even axes. Many people have a knife block and don't know how to sharpen the knives.

In between sharpenings I just use a fine ceramic steel.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/briljera-cooks-knife-30257579/

Thanks Duck man, I was actually tossing up yesterday which knives i should get to replace my aldi chef set with, and these look great, good price to!

Davent,

It's a German pattern with a relatively thick blade. Some people don't like the bolster (the thicker bit down at the handle end of the blade). But I reckon you would find it much better than the Aldi chef set.

I myself use an oil stone.
Until I hit so called "High Quality stainless Steel"
Kitchen knives.
Ugh.

I have 2 black carbon Shefield knifes that I use for
butchering and 3 swipes with an oil stone on each edge
they are razor sharp.
They come from a mates place years ago.

On my way home from my first post lockup prospecting trip today :) I called in at the local authority on all things Mining in this area. Whilst discussing the whys and wheres of various long forgotten mines another chap rolls up and after the usual introductions says, "have a look at the damascus hatchet I just finished. I enquired about the price, but decided it was probably over capitalizing for a kindling axe at $300,,, without a handle. He then whipped out the most exquisite chefs knife in a feathered damascus pattern that Ive ever handled. :eek: This chap is a true damascus artisan. I will have to get his details off the local historic mines Authority. Only wish id taken a picture or 2 of the goods.

Thanks for all the replies and great incites much appreciated

I like the kitchen knives from IKEA and will probably buy a set of these and save my pennies for a high quality general purpose damasque blade 10 to 15cm.

I do understand you don't get quality for cheap considering the use of decent steel and the hours and the effort involved in forging and the making of the complete item
I'd love to be in a position of making one myself but that's not going to happen anytime soon living in the city

Years ago l worked at Pleystowe sugar mill just out of Mackay.
When on shift work sometimes l would go to the workshop and cut and grind blades out of different steels that l sourced.
Cane harvester blades were good steel.

I've still got a couple kicking around with rosewood handles
I've also got plenty of nice timbers from my time working in a timber mill in north east Victoria
Fiddle back bluegum and mountain ash and a huge grey gum burl which I've carted around for years.
The burl has a beautiful hobnail pattern through it

I frequent one of the local markets looking for "stuff" ( usually audio gear)and l have a lot of contacts with the tool guys so I'll give them all the third degree when the markets start to up and something may turn up.
You just never know until you ask.
One may have a forge. :D

Nothing to do with the post but l mentioned my dad was a blacksmith.
He passed away when l was living in queensland.
My brother gave all his tools away including the full size anvil which l remember we challenged ourselves on picking it up as kids.
It's still a sore point with me even after 35 years 8.(

Latest posts