Anyone dig double-dips or moving targets?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to dig all double-dip signals from my 4500. They would invariably revert to single dips when swept at 90 deg. I then figured most of these were nails or long/thin iron. The target would often move as I dug. I verified this on magnetic field diagrams from a mono-coil, however I've dug a very few that have turned out to be odd shaped nuggets or coins. Any ideas why the double dip with these non ferrous objects?

these are ferrous not non ferrous

all ferrous items have magnetic fields as well as electronic fields where non ferrous only have electronic fields

Can't be put any easier than....dig EVERYTHING.

*Comes from an owner of a double-dip 7.3gm (~1/4 Oz) nugget.*

GGA

**Edit**
"Any ideas why the double dip with these non ferrous objects?"

Forgot to add info. in response, so, ....the dbl-dips (target response) only tells you a metal item with an elongated length/shape is in/on the ground, and its orientation.

Your machine and ears/brain combo will not confirm it is only trash, or only gold. YOU NEED TO DIG IT.

Pirate pete said:
This may sound stupid but when you say double dip what do you mean ?

It's the sound emitted from the detector.

Lets say a piece of wire is laying north / south and you swing the coil east / west . The detector will sound off once .. now change the swing of the coil to south / north . The detector will sound off twice as it runs the length of the wire .. this is because as the leading edge of the coil hits the wire it will sound off and as the trailing edge of the coil hits it will sound off again resulting in a double signal . More common with dd coils ... Gold rings will do the same as does chains ... and some elongated gold nuggets ...

I've had double-dips come from average looking nuggets for whatever reason and I've also had them from multiple nuggets in the same hole so you aren't going to know for sure without having a look. Moving targets are more often than not just ground noise usually from red clay or charcoal but even then I have still gotten gold from signals Iv almost walked away from.

My littlie and I have learned from experience to walk away from :
1. double dipping targets near the surface or
2. moving double dipping targets at some depth.
These have ALWAYS proven to be nails or elongated iron. We've maybe missed a few nuggies (I've heard some yucky sounds but still dug and found gold), but saved hours, and possibly found more Au through the time saved. PS: moving targets (>90%) are generally ferrous in my experience. I'll post a diagram if you can't see why.

I often get a single signal on one side of the coil and have always put it down to a false signal dont know if i am doing yhe right thing or not ? Or if i should be digging them.

I often get a single signal on one side of the coil and have always put it down to a false signal if i check the opposite direction may not get anything dont know if i am doing yhe right thing or not ? Or if i should be digging them.

Have to go with the dig everything opinion.

Many times I have dug an "obvious" tack nail or wire signal
and found gold in the same hole or right beside it.

Last one being a 6 Grammer under a sardine can key....

No, not brave enough to walk away from any signal...

I've always wondered would you benefit spending more time digging every target or spending more time swinging the coil for good targets? Ie 8 hours of digging fuggets or 8 hours of covering much more ground in search of a non-ferrous sounding signal? I'll do a bit of both really. If I'm in an area I've found gold I'll usually hammer every target in the vicinity but when I'm on the explore in an area without a history of gold finds I'll wait for a decent signal in amongst the trash. If I'm detecting over patch of top soil I'll usually leave shallow targets as typically unless it's a nugget fallen from an old timers pocket it's probably junk. I suppose there is the chance of loud and shallow sounding a 1 kg+ nugget lurking beneath the top soil in the GT

nuggetino said:
I suppose there is the chance of loud and shallow sounding a 1 kg+ nugget lurking beneath the top soil in the GT

There is indeed

Not the first, many have been found.
Only a very small percentage of prospectors seek publicity.
I, or we, just need to walk over one.

The latest issue of Gold Gem and Treasure has an article on more or less this topic. Gentleman who uncovered a nice "heart of gold" nugget was out detecting, came across a signal but it was from an area that had clearly had a top layer or so removed... dug anyway and found a spent shotgun shell (if memory serves), detector still gave a signal so, not wanting to miss anything, dug further and came out with some gold. His theory was that it was possibly a previous prospector coming across the shotgun cartridge that cleared the top level... didn't do a follow up check and therefore left the actual nugget.

While I haven't got a detector yet (hoping a subscription to aforementioned magazine may yield one) I reckon at least to start with I'd dig whatever makes a noise... no doubt I will quickly find why some people opt to only dig "strong" signals ;)

blennus said:
The latest issue of Gold Gem and Treasure has an article on more or less this topic. Gentleman who uncovered a nice "heart of gold" nugget was out detecting, came across a signal but it was from an area that had clearly had a top layer or so removed... dug anyway and found a spent shotgun shell (if memory serves), detector still gave a signal so, not wanting to miss anything, dug further and came out with some gold. His theory was that it was possibly a previous prospector coming across the shotgun cartridge that cleared the top level... didn't do a follow up check and therefore left the actual nugget.

While I haven't got a detector yet (hoping a subscription to aforementioned magazine may yield one) I reckon at least to start with I'd dig whatever makes a noise... no doubt I will quickly find why some people opt to only dig "strong" signals ;)

Some people just give up too mate, I found a nice Chinese coin once out at Wattle Flat under a mullock heap, someone started digging into it but had given up, I got a good signal and kept digging hoping for a nug but out popped the coin. Was about 1 foot down, the mullock was hard packed and hard to dig but.... they could have just as easilly have walked away from a nice nugget.

Latest posts