Anybody know what this is?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was out coin hunting in a park the other night. Was getting frustrated as I couldn't find what I thought I was looking for. But it turned out, it was this rock setting it off. Can anyone tell me why? Is it some sort of ore?

Thanks in advance.

1445682756_image.jpg

looks kinda burnt, until you see the ore and its crystaline structure. :)

It's more metallic coloured, possibly a hint of purple but not sure if that's my imagination now you've implanted that idea ;). It's comes up under the silver range on my Garrett.

Are you referring to my face? Lol

If you leave it exposed to air..if its pyrite it will probably oxodize and turn rusty. If it stays the same..well could be anything really. If the detector is picking it up, its certainly high content of some mineral. Test a neodymium magnet over it in case its just an ironstone too

Yep that photo :lol:

Righto thanks for the advice. Will see what happens to it.

If I ever find anything worth smiling about. I'll update it for you :|

Hey Jon,

It's smaller than it looks. Around the same diameter as a 10c piece and maybe 8mm thick. I think its dirty rather than burnt.

Thanks

Give it a good scrub and then try to identify the mineralogy and percentage such as feldspar, plag, quartz etc. Crack it in two two get a fresh face on it if need be. That'll tell you what it is but as atomrat says it's probably igneous.
Why it is hot to the detector is likely due to its magnetite content which have their own localised magnetic field. The detector will align all the individual magnetite fields producing a net overall field which is then detectable on field collapse when the detector cycles from tx to rx.
Jon

Thanks for the information Jon. Currently have it soaking in vinegar. Will post a picture when its all cleaned up.