Any one got or had a whippet

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking of getting my kids a whippet
Any members owned one of these

When i was about 9 one of our neighbours gave me one. They used to race them , but my father was not pleased and the poor thing even though it was a friendly and happy li'l dog was taken for a ride one night and i never saw it again. 8.( 8.(
Never liked my father much after that......
Jaros :(

Havent had a whippet myself.

But friends do. I think it was a year or two old when they got it.

Seems like a great dog, very placid, they have a 12 month old baby and its no worries with her.

They dont have a huge yard either. Whether thats an issue or not to you.

They even taught it tricks. Seems like a smart one too.

Jaros said:
When i was about 9 one of our neighbours gave me one. They used to race them , but my father was not pleased and the poor thing even though it was a friendly and happy li'l dog was taken for a ride one night and i never saw it again. 8.( 8.(
Never liked my father much after that......
Jaros :(
Chin up 8.(

Sorry to take you back there Jaros ,
Thanks for the replies Jarvis and Neo

I have 2 greyhounds but have spent time around whippets. They're very placid animals and are real couch potatoes. They're perfect for people who live in apartments or people who have small yards. They do not require much exercise and a short brisk walk is ample. They're very good around young children and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Michael1986 said:
I have 2 greyhounds but have spent time around whippets. They're very placid animals and are real couch potatoes. They're perfect for people who live in apartments or people who have small yards. They do not require much exercise and a short brisk walk is ample. They're very good around young children and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Agree. Great dogs and will be happy doing whatever their family is doing.

Short hair is a bonus to if they were an inside dog.

IMO let the dog pick its owner. ;)

All the best with it Varts and please put up a photo or 2 of the new family member.

Cheers,

Billy.

A really beautiful dog. The pure breds can be a little timid & are prone to break bones if allowed to run in bush areas. Their legs are very thin & they can run at unbeleivable speeds...... not good around branches & wire fences.
I had a whippet/ greyhound cross as a kid & that dog could run anything down but because of the greyhound side he was a little larger/more robust.
More recently we had an australian whippet/ american whippet cross (the American whippets are slightly more heavily built) & he was the best natured friendliest most loving animal you could ever want.
If I ever get another dog I will go for the same thing again.
I never met him but I don't like your old man either after that Jaros.
Rob.

Italian greyhounds are a similar type of dog , my sister inlaw has one and its good fun . A little nervy around strangers but doesnt bite , just runs away at supersonic speed lol .

I'm thinking of getting a Beagle and training it to sniff out & find gold!! :) Probably do a far better job than I'm doing :lol:

Thanks guys ,just looking at every litter ,hoping for one to pick our family soon.

at last! something I know about..I've had the enormous pleasure of owning a greyhound and two whippets, unfortunately only have one whippet left now. :(

Whippets are simply awesome. Clean, quiet, loving ..they like a sleep on your bed, or couch, love their own bed too. They are timid, sure, however so long as you give them a chance to "grow into the family" they make the best mates..
I've never had a puppy, both the whippets were older ex show girls (NZ and AUS champions) and the greyhound was a not so good ex racer..but made a perfect pet..best and fastest gundog I ever had! :eek:
One whippet loved the car, the other wasn't so keen, but would grin and bear it.
They don't have any "breed specific defects" and you can take them anywhere with trust..(not too sure if you would let one off in a cattery though ..just saying)

They don't like being growled at..great sulkers, but they are very rarely naughty unless they are bored, and you might find some of your clothes or shoes in their beds..they prefer company most of the time, if it isn't human perhaps get two of them if you are going to leave them at home alone for the work day..

a 10 minute or so walk in the morning or evening is about it for exercise, they may have a ping round dinner time, have the best body clock of any dog I know..they aren't real endurance long distance dogs but will play and sleep the day away. Keep them on the lead out of the property..zero road sense.. :rolleyes:

1445512077_image.jpeg
1445512093_image.jpeg

Ok ,so this is the one that chose our family.
She is cool ,and everyone adores her,
Loves the car too,
:)

have had three whippets in the passed and they are the most gentle dog I have every had but they need room to run and make should they don't get out perfect dog for kids

Latest posts