Any idea what this could be?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At first I thought it was just a big ants nest but it looks like someone dug a big hole filled it back it and now the ants made a nest There?

1571875983_194ebbe3-ab20-49a3-a1d7-27011d640b75.jpg

If you are inferring that it may be a buried body, if that is possible, you should or can contact police.
They will check it over, possibly with cadaver dogs to assess if they need to inspect further.
There is no blame on you, but a witness statement which may go nowhere anyway at the end of the day, i guess.
GPS co-ordinates for the report ?
It may just be a small adventure.

BUT I have also seen this in the bush where a Kangaroo has dug down into the soil to get cool in the heat,
always been under some good foliage cover, they wait out the heat and snooze.
Other animals do that too, like pigs and deer.

I would be looking for paw prints or human foot print tracks into the area and out, and then spade or shovel marks
like cut soil edge. Humans leave very distinctive marks and are lazy too.
If you find human sign, its up to you what to do next.

All animal sign only... maybe you can come back and snap some pictures at a later time, but on a hot day at its hottest time.

:)

The picture looks as though there's lots of smaller holes.
Probably something digging for a feed.

grubstake said:
My poor neck!https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4012/1571876595_nest.jpg

Might be a shallow grave? :skull:

Could also be a mallee fowl nest. Have a close look for eggshell fragments to confirm.

I was under the impression Mallee Fowl built up a pile of litter for a nest to incubate, adjusting the depth for temp constantly,
Will be looking it up because I'm always open to learning.

;)

Greenhornet_au said:
grubstake said:
Could also be a mallee fowl nest. Have a close look for eggshell fragments to confirm.

I was under the impression Mallee Fowl built up a pile of litter for a nest to incubate, adjusting the depth for temp constantly,
Will be looking it up because I'm always open to learning. ;)

I've founds lots of their nests, current and historic, in the Eastern Goldfields of WA (Kalgoorlie region). They seem to adapt their nesting to the conditions of the local area and in arid locations where the ground is hard and there's not much leaf litter, the hollows of old alluvial workings can provide a suitable starting point. Since their egg-laying/nesting season is so prolonged and they return to a nest site year after year, over time the hollow becomes a heap and even quite a large one eventually. The birds are well-camouflaged and very elusive, but once you get your eye in, their nest sites are easily spotted.

I have seen this before and all the answers above have merit : body = unlikely, mallee fowl = location and rarity and seeing there is leaf litter they would have scratched it to the centre , pigs = there would other diggings , kangaroos = there would be individual hollows/beds and ticks , Fox's /dogs = would dig down and leave a hump and hole...
But I have seen Echindna's do this generally it's just one or two holes but every now and then you come across a ants nest they just destroy like in these pics also I can see older hollows where have been digging previously.
So only going the pictures supplied that is my take on it..
I have made a living from the bush most of my life and I still do, so I hope this helps

Dig it up and have a look then let us know :beer: Seriously it just looks like another photo of worked ground wether it be human, animal or insect so on that basis I've got no idea.

If your worried about it report it otherwise dig it up and put us out of our misery :) :beer:

We have scraped the ground surface getting old bottles and glass and repatriated the soil back to sort of what it was before we started and it looked like what you have there . It may have been raked and back filled after they finished. A mob of `roos resting up would do that ,too.
A human would cover the area in leaves and branches if they didn`t want anything found.
Hopefully nothing sinister ,here.

FOZ

Mate I've seen that before. It's definitely buried pirate treasure!
But no ordinary pirates, we are talking modern day tech savvy pirates with hidden cameras and facial recognition software. By now they know who you are, where you work and where your kids go to school.

My advice would be to move house and do it now! Your family is not safe!

Hope this helps. :Y:

If it was an ants nest I would expect to see gravel everywhere from their excavations.

All the leaves and litter on the ground are gone. Buried with the dirt ,you would expect OR someone collected all the litter to use as kindling on a fire .

Any sign of a camp or fireplace nearby ?

Are you still here, Vicgoldhunter ? Madtuna was just joking ;)

Latest posts