Another Newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We are off to Lightning Ridge next weekend to try our luck. But after arranging everything, I did some reading on here, then rang the mining department up there, to find out that you can only fossick in front of the info centre, unless you know someone with a claim. Disappointing. I heard that the large heaps at Grawin were still available, but the girl on the phone at the Department steered me off from there too? Does anyone have further information on anywhere else in the area we could have a go at fossicking? Any advise would be much appreciated :)

Hi Lisa and all other members,
I am a newbie too. I have recently retired from a 7 day a week small business and my wife kindly bought me a second hand minelab GPX 4500 as a retirement present.
We live on the west coast of SA, good for fishing but not gold detecting so-
Our aim is to travel our great country wife bird watching and me swinging the detector. We have booked in on a tag along trip in the western goldfields May next year with the aim of camping, birdwatching and a bit of detecting.
Am currently reading, reading and doing more reading of books, forums etc.
I must say reading this forum shows me what a good bunch of members you are with sharing techniques and ideas.
Hope to see you out there and hope I can contribute.
Cheers
Bob

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your retirement and i hope you enjoy the tag a long with some success as well. It's a great bunch of people we have here and don't do it all at once.
Jaros :p :p

Lisa27 said:
Hi everyone,

We are off to Lightning Ridge next weekend to try our luck. But after arranging everything, I did some reading on here, then rang the mining department up there, to find out that you can only fossick in front of the info centre, unless you know someone with a claim. Disappointing. I heard that the large heaps at Grawin were still available, but the girl on the phone at the Department steered me off from there too? Does anyone have further information on anywhere else in the area we could have a go at fossicking? Any advise would be much appreciated :)

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good people willing to share their experiences and knowledge here.

My wife and I visited Lightning Ridge in June 2012. Don't be put off by the information you have been given so far. Yes you can fossick (noodling) in front of the Information Centre, with semi-regular deposits of 'fresh' tailings placed there. No you just can't start digging anywhere, you will need a Lease and a Mining Permit at the very least.

We travelled to Grawin to noodle and there were a lot of piles to go through there, actually more than you could do in a day. There are a number of eating places nearby, The Sheepyard Inn and The Glengarry Hilton come to mind. They both serve good tucker and drinks at reasonable prices. Have fun reading all the signs posted around everywhere, very dry country humour!! I would suggest that you allow a full day (minimum) to visit Grawin if you want to try your luck for Opal. This area is about the only area at 'The Ridge' that you are allowed to fossick. Don't forget to take plenty of drinking water. I also would recommend one of the local tours around Lightning Ridge, (we used Outback Opal Tours) stopping off at some very interesting and unique places 8) 8) The guide we had also gave a very informative history lesson of the area during the tour, which was fascinating.

Not sure where you will be staying, but the Thermal Pool near the new Caravan Park is great for relaxing in at the end of the day.

Hope that this has helped. Good luck with your search for Opal. Keep us informed of how you went.

Cheers Monty

Thanks everyone.

It's a long way to travel and I was really excited about going, but then heard all the "can't do's". Feeling better about it now :) That's how I got onto this forum Ramjet, searching for information and a post from Syndyne came up. Very knowledgeable. I will try and contact him.

Also only a beginner, but hooked on finding sapphires up at Inverell. If I lived up that way I would be hunched up and barely able to move, as I would spend my days fossicking.

Good luck and happy travelling Bob, sounds great.

Cheers

Lisa

Latest posts