And so it begins......

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabwoody

Darren
Reaction score
Hi all.I'm brand new to this forum and to the world of detecting.I live in Caboolture,just north of Brisbane.Have been reading all the posts to help me make a decision on my first detector.Thanks to Nugget and all of you as the info has been very helpful for a newbie like me.Didn't want to lash out too much funds initially so I ended up ordering an Ace 250.Took delivery of it last Friday-what a hoot! I feel like a kid again! Read the manual, went into the yard to see if I could get a beep.First find ...... a rusty nail! Woo-hoo.Went next door and found a $1 coin,2cent coin and 1 cent coin and thought "and so it begins".Went over to Bribie Island same day and found some coin (and bottle tops,aluminium cans etc.)Took the kids back over after school - no coin but they absolutely loved it (started collecting different bottle caps).On Sunday I took my 9yo son to a local water-hole.My wife (Regina) sent me a text asking how it was going and said "a ring would be nice.lol".Then I found a brass smoker's pipe which was followed up not long after by..... a small, silver, ladies heart-shaped signet ring!Took it home to Regina,she polished it up with some Silvo to find that amazingly, it was inscribed with a letter.....R ! Freaky!My son loves joining in and now has his own back-pack,trowel,rake and folding shovel to take with us.Picked him up from school yesterday and his teacher said he had been talking about detecting.Turns out a teacher aide had dropped 5 rings three years ago during a class activity but only found four.We have offered to give the area a scan.Got permission from the school Principal, so weather permitting we are going up there this arvo to try our luck.Fingers crossed.Sorry if this has been a bit long-winded,but it's soooo exciting!By the way, in case you're wondering, I'm 47 years young.AND SO IT BEGINS.......

Thats awesome woody! I walk down to the local park and as soon as i start to dig a hole i usually have a few kids come over and watch me. its facinating stuff alright. I have only recently started detecting too and cant wait to get home so i can get out for a swing. amazing about that ring, well done! Im 47 also and it is a great activity for the family to enjoy the great outdoors, the places you will go and the stuff you will see is mind blowing!!

Rod

Welcome Woody,
It can be very addictive indeed.
Wait until you get that first bit of gold then you will be really hooked. I f you like camping and the great outdoors, there is plenty of places around the SEQ area which can offer you some really good gold.
It seems we are all living a second childhood and just not knowing what will turn up in the trowel next is the real thrill.
Good luck and Happy Hunting.
Cheers
Brad....

Thanks guys for the welcome.It's amazing the support offered to others, especially newies like me, by the more experienced members.They offer up advice freely without holding on to their "secret" methods or places.I'm well and truly hooked (so is my son) and I'm enjoying reading this site as much as the detecting.

Onya Woody, welcome to the addiction. That's a great story of your first outing let's hope it gets better from here on. It's good to see the young bloke enjoys it as well. I spent a few years in Caboolture in the 70's. It was a great little town then, I bet it has changed now. Cheers, Rick

Good on ya Woody, i'm over retirement age & I can tell you that when I found my first coin last year with the old A2B, I was all excited like a schoolboy, still am when I find anything with my AT Pro.

Latest posts