Ancient Roman or Celtic coin ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavymetal

Luke Atkins
Reaction score
I found this coin on the banks of the Yarra River with my Garrett At Gold. Still really have no idea what it is. I have been told it is ancient Celtic or Templar coin but still haven't found any real information. Maybe someone on here might know ?
IMG_4068.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

It's a repro - another member found the same coin in New Zealand and was identified as a reproduction - the real one dates far older than the population of Australia.

I'd check the area thoroughly, far and wide HM, just incase it's not a loner,... the authorities wouldn't want to acknowledge it anyway as it wouldn't fit in with their story about Australia, they'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming to an understanding of acknowledgement. Maybe take a sieve and do a soil sifting of the immediate area that you found it and then a few scattered test areas around the vicinity of the find, just incase there are some artefacts in the soil that will not come to light with the aid of a metal detector, but may in fact require a much more fastidious search method.
Have a good look at the lay of the land and use your imagination to help you out a bit.
Good luck with it all, I for one hope it's the real deal,...keep tight lipped about its whereabouts and have a bit of fun.
Keep a detailed plan of what you find where(think like an archaeologist) as that could be important.
Take a few choice photos along the way that can't show where you are, but gives a working view of what you are doing so we can enjoy it with you.
Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

I guess it is possible to be real
Could have been in the possession of an early prospector who came here
Bit of a stretch ... But possible i suppose
Or alien intervention :lol:

In Geelong there is antique shop that sells ancient Roman coins,
does that mean the Romans occupied Australia or that those coins
are copies? Not on your life people.
It maybe a fake or it maybe the real deal.
Lets keep the dream alive, that's why our hobby
is so exciting.
Great find Heavymetal.
Cheers Steve ;)

That's right Sandta
What a pack of do goody ,bleeding hearts ,airy fairy, academic, moronic pinko's!!
I found a couple of 1500 year old Chinese coins in the GT,
Although they were in very poor condition I still kept them because of the
feeling of being connected to such history.
No one would found them in the next few years as they were so degraded.
What a weird world.

heavymetal said:
I found this coin on the banks of the Yarra River with my Garrett At Gold. Still really have no idea what it is. I have been told it is ancient Celtic or Templar coin but still haven't found any real information. Maybe someone on here might know ?
http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab344/akker_panels/Coins and relics I have found/IMG_4068.jpg
http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab344/akker_panels/Coins and relics I have found/IMG_4069.jpg

For a Start it is Celtic NOT Roman and those coins are Hammered from a Disc Not Minted as in flat, the Features are put on there with a Die that is Stuck with a Hammer hence the Name Hemmered. Most Celtic coins are concaved or Convex NOT Flat. Due to the Shape of the Die.

Oh and I am about 90% Sure it Could Real as it has all the characteristics of the real thing. Being Celtic means it could be from about 400BC to about 500AD-ish and from any of the EU Countries Even Arabic?? etc.

There is Very good chance it is Real and lost by some one from over 200 years ago, You need to check it out on SPINKS WEB SITE in London,
They will also tell you if you send them a Picture and also contact the British Museum they will be glad to help,

Anyway here's some Photos in the mean time, https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...niv&sa=X&ei=YN3XVLXANeXD7gajoIEw&ved=0CC4QsAQ

AND Here's a Link to their Site where you can get all the right info, https://www.spink.com/departments.aspx?id=1204

Hope this Helps,,, John

I would Like to point out that due to the thickness of the coin and the Fact that Repos and Knock offs have only been around the past 20 to 30 years or so since metal detectors kicked in to high gear that Looking at the condition of the Coin it is Highly unlikely that it is Fake, Also Coins were not minted until the 1600s so any coin before that date Will NOT be perfectly Round, they can be slightly Oval or with a slight point on one edge and No TWO were exactly the Same.

John

PS, What ever you do DO NOT Clean it.

Latest posts