Amethyst Gem

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danmuss

Danny
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on Amethyst Gemstone, I found a very old 9ct Gold ring with quite a big Amethyst Gem on top, Took to a jewelers to get valued and after he viewed it he wanted a valuation fee.. Makes me wonder why he suddenly wanted to charge me ?

its pretty standard for people to charge for a valuation ie involving a valuation certificate. you may be able to try a different jeweller and just ask for an estimate value as most are happy to give estimates without looking too indepth at the gemstones. there are some places that do them extremely cheap ie around $20 mark with a certificate however i have only seen them that cheap at Gemfest

Hi Danmuss,

As Blayke said it is standard to charge for a written valuation. A valuer must test the stone, test the gold and write up the certificate. You are paying for their time and expertise.
Amethyst is a readily available gemstone with the paler ones being cheaper than the deep rich dark purple. If you dont want to pay for a valuation you can try and find something similar for sale online or in a shop which would give you an idea but keep in mind the second hand market for jewellery is approx 1/3 of retail price.

Have you got a photo of the piece you could post?

Doesn't look massive maybe .5ct or .75ct. I'd say the amethyst itself is not super valuable and more likely to be the gold weight worth the bulk buy but hard to tell from that pic it could come up amazing with a nice clean

Latest posts