Aiming driving lights.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm fitting a pair of driving lights to the bullbar. Is there any tricks to aim them properly? Do I aim them straight down the road? Or, do I aim them slightly outward, so I can spot suicidal kangaroos lurking behind the trees?

To preset the lights position your vehicle on level ground and right up close 30 to 40 cm away from a wall or fence or garage door. Switch lights on and mark the center of the beams on wall etc (make a cross with masking tape) now back away from the wall 5 or 6 metres and adjust your lights to the center the beams back on the crosses. Thats a “straight ahead” setting. Get out on a quite road and see if it’s to your liking - adjust if necessary.

The above mentioned techniques will work fairly well.
Depending upon what’s needed, driving lights are usually sold as either “spot” beams or ”spread” beams. Lots of folk will often buy one of each, so they’ll have one to fill-in the darkest area up ahead, while the other will spread more allowing you to see either side of the road.
The exact way you’ll need to aim them, will depend somewhat upon whether you’ve got two “spots”, two “spread” beam lights, or one of each.
Ultimately, after setting them up, the best idea is to go for bit of a drive, ideally out somewhere dark where you’re not annoying others. If you take your tools with you, you can stop and adjust them as you’re toodling around until you’re happy with them. It’s also best if this is done with a full tank of fuel, and while you’re partially loaded up. If you adjust them while you’re unloaded, and then hitch-up a heavy trailer and load up the vehicle, all you’ll be doing is looking at possums up in the tree-tops. Conversely, if you’re fully loaded up to the gunnels when you adjust them, they’ll be pointing down onto the road when you’ve got your normal load.

Latest posts