Advice on Finding a Good Gas Fitter?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any advice from personal experience on finding a good gas fitter? Would checking for a valid licence be a good starting point?

Hi goldwhale

A valid licence check is mandatory in this field IMO.

If you live/work near a caravan yard that does repairs to vans, you could ask them who they would recommend to do the job.

What do you need done, large or small job, just out of interest?

Cheers Monty

I used to own a commercial/industrial gas fitting business. Best recommemdation I can give is go with an older fella. Most of the young fellows today are only trained in crimping together fittings for bulk builds and have very little practical/useful knowledge.

DD

Diggerdude said:
I used to own a commercial/industrial gas fitting business. Best recommemdation I can give is go with an older fella. Most of the young fellows today are only trained in crimping together fittings for bulk builds and have very little practical/useful knowledge.

DD

Hay DD,
It's not only the gas fitting trade that suffers from this problem that's for sure!

Agree BC, I'm a qualified carpenter and completed my apprenticeship with my fathers company 6 years ago, by crickey he is an old school chippy, and I see the difference when I see the work of my friends who were trained by a 20-30 year old tradesman, absolutely no comparison!

The whole idea of an apprentceship is to teach skills and instill a sense of pride in ones craft. The system of group training and sacking apprentices after first year so the trade master can get another cheap source of labour is fraught with ethical and moral bankruptcy.
The mantra is .. get in. Get a qual. Get to the mines..
Rant off..

There are different type of gas repairs or installation, type a or type b.
Not all plumbers are gas fitters you must ask to see there licence.
The pic or plumbing industry commission is the controlling authority, and I believe they have merged with the building authority.
A certificate of compliance is a must for the gas work regardless of the cost it is mandatory for the gasfitter to supply to the consumer and lodge with the authority. This is your guarantee for 7 years that all has been done to the correct codes and regulations.
Gasfitting if done incorrectly can be very dangerous, incomplete combustion, ventilation, etc can be very dangerous if not fatal. LPG is heavier than air and can lay around at your feet and you not even smell it if there is a leak, leaks can be fatal especially in a confined area with a source of ignition. Don't mean to say this to scare you just make you aware!
30 years in the industry I have seen some shocking things,
Talk to your local gas supplies talk to to other people get recommendations. A tradesman doing the right thing has nothing to hide and will supply you with all the correct paperwork which is your safeguard, hope that helps cheers

BigSam said:
Agree BC, I'm a qualified carpenter and completed my apprenticeship with my fathers company 6 years ago, by crickey he is an old school chippy, and I see the difference when I see the work of my friends who were trained by a 20-30 year old tradesman, absolutely no comparison!
Hay Sam,
My old man was a chippy, old school that's for sure and he taught me all he knew.
I have been working since I was 12 yo.
I started my apprenticeship at 16 as a plant mechanic/fitter with Qantas, started in 76. In those days the Government owned 51% of the company and there were no bean counters cutting corners.
The job was done right and all the equipment was painted every 12 months. This was a time when people took pride in their workmanship.
There were about 125 tradesmen there from mechanics to fitters to welders to spray painters to sheeties to tool makers to machinists to eleco's, auto eleco's, with experience in every type of industry. We even maintained all the fire equipment and conducted fire training for all staff company wide.
There were roughly 30 apprentices at any one time , and we did absolutely everything, getting a good all round training through all the trades.
We had our own engineers, foremen, sub foremen, leading hands ,manager and production planners. We worked 3 shifts plus a day shift.

Now there are a couple of blokes co-ordinating contractors.

What chance has a young bloke got of getting (A) a decent apprenticeship and (B) decent training.

I'm glad I went through my apprenticeship at this time and not looking for one now.

Rant over!!!!