Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I've just done a quick comparo. Both units on max sensitivity.

1c coin:
Minelab - 44mm
Deteknix - 51mm

$1 coin:
Minelab - 60mm
Deteknix - 69mm

50c coin:
Minelab - 74mm
Deteknix - 83mm

Can someone try their TRX and Pro-pointer and add the result?

PhaseTech,

I assuming Air test and not sand or soil ? Also is that end on or face on ?

Interesting figures.

I have found that wet salty sand, is interesting...

That's very interesting. I just tested my MLB and I'm just a fraction shy of what you have found so I have full faith in your testing, definitely considering a change then.

Well used Garret Pro Pointer (GPP) with new Energiser Battery, so a cross reference needed..

I also cross checked a Xpointer and I agree with the values found by PhaseTech. Different batteries and Clean Vs old dirty corroded coins appear to give slight variations; but nothing dramatic.

Coin in certain soils over time can cause a halo type effect. Have seen where a coin, can be found with a pin pointer but once you start digging and disturbing the soil; it fades away.. Detector need to confirm item is still there, then dig a bit more and the pin pointer gets it again. In some cases in wet salty sand, the corrosion/oxidisation in the sand and around the object is clearly visiable. How this might work with other metals ???? But it explains why some times I am sure I can get 8 to 10" easily with a pin pointer.

1c coin:

GPP - 32mm
Minelab - 44mm
Deteknix - 51mm

$1 coin:

GPP - 45mm
Minelab - 60mm
Deteknix - 69mm

50c coin:

GPP - 60mm
Minelab - 74mm
Deteknix - 83mm

Goldtarget said:
That's very interesting. I just tested my MLB and I'm just a fraction shy of what you have found so I have full faith in your testing, definitely considering a change then.

Yeah when I first turned on the Minelab, the depths were woeful, then noticed the LED was flashing, so put in a fresh battery and it gained a cm.

PhaseTech said:
Goldtarget said:

Yeah when I first turned on the Minelab, the depths were woeful, then noticed the LED was flashing, so put in a fresh battery and it gained a cm.
My old one here is the right color to be a grey nomad. .. Very close to retirement. I put a new battery in only last week for an immediate noticeable difference. My figures were based on a repeating signal, and I would expect some loss in situ. Still seems like a significant difference thus far using a like for like air test.

thought I'd throw a quick question in here for you guys that use PP's regularly.
I've recently bought a TRX and haven't had the chance to use it in the field yet while detecting but have done a couple of panning/sluicing trips recently where I end up taking rock samples home to crush.
Q. is it worth taking the TRX along and run it over the quartz leads in the ground?
I've run it over my rock samples at home and had it signalling well but suspect it's iron within the samples, haven't crushed the samples yet to confirm but my MXT Pro says it's ironstone.
Q. what size would gold have to be for the TRX to detect within an average fist sized sample of quartz or similar?
Just curious to know if it's worth taking along or not.

This is just one of the youtube vids you'll find on the comparisons between the Garret/Minelab and Whites pointers.
One thing to note when watching the vid is..the loudness of each pin pointer. Trust me, the TRX has plenty of volume even when you have your hand over the speaker...yet i read on some forums, theres not enough volume and some are thinking of taking out the water proof membrane from the speaker insert.?? 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTJZdt2giE

ProspectorPete, i use the TRX on some of my species that show gold to see just how much is hidden from vision......by using the ratchet feature and ratcheting it right down, im able to trace around the specie and have the pin pointer sound off in areas that show no gold. Good for very large species...not much chop on the small ones for obvious reasons. :D

No harm in taking it with you panning.

Late edit to add the youtube link for how to adjust the sensitivity setting. Iv not adjusted mine because im pleased with its sensitivity as it is out the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR-AuJMZP7I

The TRX definitely has a depth advantage over all other pinpointers I've used. Yes it can become unstable at higher sensitivity levels, but despite that, it can be useful both for checking near surface targets, and locating deeper in-hole targets. Once you get a rough location in the hole, then you can just rachet it back for more accurate pinpointing and minus any instability.

If the plug isn't deep/wide enough, and the coin is still out of effective range of most pinpointers, then the TRX's depth capability is very handy, and can save scratching the coin if the hole needs to be excavated further. I know some of the plugs I have dug for pre-decimals have often not been deep enough, and they were well beyond 6", all depends on the site and soil cover. It is also hard to judge how deep to dig initially on some deeper targets, as depth meters aren't exactly accurate when at their effective limit - some targets will barely register in pinpoint mode (VCO all-metal).

The battery performance will always vary, depending on brand used, type of battery, and capacity. Sometimes I use cheap packets of AA's, other times I will use rechargeables, pretty much whatever is on hand. Battery longevity will always vary between other users, regardless of using AA or 9v, some el cheapos I have found are great, whilst others not so great, even some of the known brands haven't been too flash. Quite frankly, I never usually notice how long a set of batteries will last, I just carry spares with me and change them out when required. I detect probably every second night, so I tend to go through a fair few.

Another quirk with this pinpointer, is that TRX not only registers a signal at the tip, but also from the LED light of the top of the shaft, down to the "S" on the Bullseye inscription. So if you are holding the TRX at an angle into a hole, the TRX may sound off on targets near the top, side or simultaneously from the bottom of the hole, or from a target in the spoil already excavated from the hole.

Falsing from pushing the TRX tip into the soil isn't as prevalent or an issue at all compared to on the Profind/Propointer, probably due to the fact that the sensor is not solidly expoxied into the casing, much like on the X-pointer. :)

Here's some figures for the TRX added in. On sensitivity setting 4, it was running on the ragged edge, so give or take a couple of mm on these figures.

1c coin:

GPP - 32mm
Minelab - 44mm
Deteknix - 51mm
Whites TRX - 75mm

$1 coin:

GPP - 45mm
Minelab - 60mm
Deteknix - 69mm
Whites TRX - 95mm

50c coin:

GPP - 60mm
Minelab - 74mm
Deteknix - 83mm
Whites TRX - 113mm

On a 0.36gm nugget - 16mm
On a 2.35gm nugget - 58mm
Both on full sensitivity.

Ive read a lot of reviews/posts on the TRX and the major gripes from different users seems to be:
- Long start up time
- Interference with larger coils, can't wear it waist mounted
- Falsing at high Sens setting
- Not quick to adjust sensitivity

What's your opinion guys?

P.s. what a great thread!

- Long start up time

Having only come from using the earlier Whites Bullseyes, the start up time gives me no hassle...pull it out, place it on the ground and hit the go button. Instant GB and away it go's.

After putting the youtube up for the sens/adjustment.....it got the better of me and i just had to fiddle with it. :D

This is what i learned.....
Sens 4 was way to high....in air it blows you away...on the ground it fails due to mineralization.
To chatty and the depth was actually worse...bit like over-gaining a VLF. The other two settings weren't to bad, but having used it from the time i got it, im happy to leave it on sens 1. Its a pin-pointer...ya gotta let the detector do some work. :lol: :lol:

As for playing up with PI detectors...above in my earlier post. Tho i feel there not really needed to look for small gold nuggets.....time spent stuffing around in your tailing's is down time, use the old ways and move on. Great for the big deep ones if your pin-pointing skills are lacking.

The menu system is pretty much set and forget in my opinion.....cant see why you would need to continue to enter the menu.?? Once its set, use it, dont abuse it. Again...its a pin-pointer and the operator along with his detector, need to put in some effort. :lol:

Ah!! there's nothing as satisfying as having a new "big boys " toy.
I think due to the data above, that i will continue with my Deteknix.
I bwuddy wuv it.
Cheers
Jaros :p :p

PhaseTech said:
Ive read a lot of reviews/posts on the TRX and the major gripes from different users seems to be:
- Long start up time

What's your opinion guys?

P.s. what a great thread!

- start up time is fine, quicker than the profind which sometimes take a moment or two to GB, then beep when it is ready, and probably a second or two quicker than the x-pointer.

- tried it with my infinium with the large mono, no issues. My former Nokta pinpointer used to make it false if worn on the side of your belt - had to wear that on the back of my belt (ended up just using the profind in most cases previously)

- yes, falsing at sensitivity 4 setting, but no real need to run that high for everyday pinpointing. 3 is fine, but may get an odd false depending on how reactive the ground is, and where you GB it. If you GB the TRX in the air you will get some falsing creeping in, but if done on the ground, there shouldn't be an issue. You always have the option to re-balance it, or use the rachet feature if falsing does become an issue.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have the option to run higher sensitivity if required, albeit with some falsing, vs not having that option at all. Bit like having a tesoro with "super tuning" ability, you probably won't use it regularly mostly due to ground reactivity, but the option is always there for use in suitable conditions.

- It is definitely a bit more convoluted than the x-pointer or profind, but as mentioned previously, once done, you will most likely be working on setting 3 for a majority of the time (depending on the ground in your locality). Whites interestingly don't actually advocate on how to change the sensitivity in the supplied instructions, I found that out on you tube from a private poster. :)

I am biased :D

And as a semi retired person, value for $ comes into play... Cheep can be just that, but over priced is just as bad.

As to using when gold detecting...

If you are fluffing through fine stuff and the Detector is giving a signal, rather that grabbing a bit and doing the top side wave...

Use the pin pointer;

• if it goes off, then good chance it is lead or some other stuff. Place finds in a bucket for when bored.[/*]
  • If it does not go off, good chance sub gram gold ?. Place finds in a MUST do bucket and move on.[/*]

Here is something to think about when I tested my Minelab Pro Find Pinpointer.

After switching on the PP and setting it to its highest 5 sensitivity setting I can get 50mm on a 5c coin from the tip of the PP in an air test.
Then I try to lay the PP horizontally on mineralised ground but it sounds off and reacts to the ground making it impossible to do another test.
So I switch the PP off and with it still at its highest 5 setting and still lying on the ground I restart the PP and now there is no more reaction to the ground.

I then test the 5c coin from the tip of the PP and I again get 50mm however when I lift the PP off the ground and do the another test on the 5c coin I only get 25mm.

Ground balance should always be considered...

In many places I look like the Statue of Liberty when I turn the PP on...

At other times I have it on the sand or dirt.... Just make sure there is no metal when you do it... Same as with your detector.

Hold your pin-pointers tip on the ground, AND than turn it on... its now ground balanced...now try you 5c test again...but leave the coin on the ground and raise the pointer above the coin.

Get back to us if it made any difference.??

If that makes no difference...hit the pin-pointer with a hammer three times...try the test again...if it fails to turn on, you now have a good reason to buy a new one...cause your old one does not work any longer. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts