Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old minelab has its quirks but after some loss in depth recently it might go to backup/repair status.
So what's everyone using and recommend. Few choices out there but I would like it from the guys using them to guide my choice.
Back links to previous threads is just as good!
I should note it's for coin shooting and will be my birthday present to myself.

Check the sponsor section

Or have a look at www.deteknix.com.au

A few here have the Deteknix but a few models and some neat features..

If you decide to buy... Drop me a PM and maybe I can do a Birthday discount :) free postage at the least.

Here's an in depth discussion on pinpointers:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8906&p=1

I have had a few issues with my Whites TRX as of late, with it failing to register after the startup ground balance. Not sure what the issue is, though it did perform well in previous months. Other downsides include poor LED lighting, and the audio isn't exactly loud. The current price hike also has me looking at other alternatives.

My Deteknix X-Pointer is still working fine, though the quality of the plastics isn't quite up there with other offerings on the market, and it can interfere with certain detectors being a PI unit. Other than that, it performs well on my local volcanic soils with no falsing, and the audio and LED are top notch. The lack of waterproofing may also be a concern if using it down at the beach.
The interference can be negated via a noise cancel on the Minelab detectors, or frequency shift on other detectors may help out. Generally if you keep the detector coil away from the pinpointer when recovering targets, the interference will be kept to a minimum.

My trusty Pro-find 25 is still going stong, though it doesn't see eye to eye with highly mineralised soils, needing a fair drop in sensitivity to prevent falsing. Lack of waterproofing and ratcheting feature is starting to make it look old considering other current offerings.

Other pinpointers that I have been contemplating lately include the Garrett AT Propointer (a bit pricey), Deteknix Wader, and the Nokta Pointer.

Maybe Ramjet can chime in regarding the AT Propointer, and Rocket with regards to the Deteknix Wader. :)

GP

Some good points there...

Also found the Whites TRX to be a solid performer - I understand the later ones are water proof ? but the $$$

I found the Nokta to be OK, but the rear switches are a pain; I guess it is what you get use to.

I also found that a few Batteries including some Rechargeables can NOT be used in the Nokta Pinpointer (mine is the latest one) as the battery compartment is critical to battery size.

The body of the Wader / Wader Li and Diver are different from the standard X-pointer and the extra functions etc... I believe, put later models up there :)

As per usual - they all have pros and cons.. And some will always like a Ford over a Holden :D

Some of the units I test and use and check any findings/comments. All to often one experience or assumption becomes the norm, and yet often false.

I also did a bit more work on PP3's and so many get caught with batteries... Assumptions and then more assumptions. Size and terminal shape and the bottom etc. all get to play havoc with Manufacturers and then the cheep shops :)

Also 6 years is the usual life expectancy UNDER the ideal conditions.

So a pack of of 4 PP3 for $4 with 1 year or even 2 years on their shelf life is crap... And then Open cct voltage Vs under load is another that most over look.

Hence; I will not give a run time on any detector or pinpointer - Way too many variables to contend with.. Let alone what your pin pointer is set to and how you use it...

1449047538_2015-05-13_10.05.27_small.jpg

AND

1449047538_2015-05-13_10.07.18_small.jpg

AND

1449047661_2015-10-11_00.57.19_medium.jpg

Thanks fellas.
Spot on GP that was the thread I was looking for! I remembered it but couldn't find it in a search :8
AM seems like your range is good value. I'll be in contact shortly.

All Whites TRX are waterproof, just that Whites hadn't received an official IP68 rating on launch due to changes for the speaker membrane to improve the audio output - no difference between the older/newer models.

Despite the older design and lack of waterproofing, I really enjoyed using the Nokta RS pinpointer. It had very good proportional audio, good LED lighting with built-in light sensor to save power, and is quite a small unit to hold. Unfortunately it was let down by poor sealing from the elements, the speaker holes were easily clogged, and the battery cover wore out over time creating a very loose fit. At least the problematic slide switch was upgraded on the later models with a rubber covered press button.

From what I've seen, the later Nokta waterproof pointer seems to have strange proportional audio, unlike most other pinpointers, it doesn't seem to graduate into a solid signal until very close to the target, and even then it doesn't seem to achieve a solid audio tone. Have you found that to be the case?

I too have questioned the location of the controls, though may prove a good idea in muddy conditions being located away from the grip, and is probably integral to the waterproofing of the pointer. Though we are talking about IP67 rating, not IP68 as on the TRX and Garrett pinpointers. :)

just saying my mine lab one has been great im a relic hunter ont know too much about them but every now and again it keeps a constant tone u have to switch it off and on then works again

Still love my Wader Li, feels great in the hand, very responsive, quick to adjust sensitivity, lasts forever and fast recharge time. Never falses which is the biggest plus for me.

But when taking my GPX or GPZ out I take the Xpointer camo - only because the camo goes with all my other camo accessories :D

As for interference I can get the pinpointer within 70cm of the gpz coil, and about 60cm from my ctx coil. On my CTX, NC channels 5 & 8 interfere, but the others are fine.

silver said:
Now I've got pinpointer envy real bad AM ! :eek: :D

You better talk to the Financial and Emotional controller first....

And do not forget the Anniversary and Birthdays - like I do.

PS. Need Vs Want

And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with
You gotta love the one you're with

http://vad.io/Vxprpv6

Have been using the Garrett AT Pro pointer for about 2 weeks now and prefer it over the Minelab. Its vibration is alot better than the ML as I use in silent mode quite a bit and it seems to handle hotter ground alot better to. I don't have to turn it off and on again all the time like the Minelab in the heat and bright orange makes it alot easier to find when I leave it on the ground. The only issue I have and it is not the AT's fault but it is alot more sensitive along the shaft than the ML and can make pinpointing a larger coin in a small hole a little more difficult.

Been looking at pin pointers and the more I read the more confusion is setting in. I've basically narrowed it down to the the Xpointer Wader, Minelab and the Garrett Carrot. All seem to have good and bad points.

I have a few questions for those who know.....is the Garrett Carrot really worth another $100 over the other 2?? and how does the rechargeable Xpointer compare to the standard replaceable battery version?

Thanks

I've had a black Garrett propointer for years and it's still going strong,... Garretts never let me down yet,... not quite the one you want to hear about though. :D

This could be one of the most confusing decisions you will ever make.

Buy the best one you can afford as they say.

The good thing as you have never owned one you have nothing to compare it with so you'll LOVE whatever you get as any pinpointer is better than NONE.

Good Luck Mate

I've had a black Garrett... piece of garbage. They have issues with falsing. I now own an early Xpointer and a Carrot. Not a lot between them apart from the xpointer's build quality could have been better and it has improved with later models.

I have been using the Minelab since June and got a Garret At a month ago. I like the AT over the Minelab but they are both good. The only down side I have with AT it is way more sensitive along the shaft which can make life a little hard with multiple targets in the hole.

Latest posts