Advice appreciated

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, newby here and wanting to explore this idea that maybe even I can find some gold. Really just starting out and would like to here some of your stories of "when u started " , how it went. Wanting to get started with a pan and go from there. Cheers

Hey ShanMar - welcome to the forum. You're in the right place to get great advice and tips.

What area are you in? Here in Melbourne there are lots of places to give panning a go.

I started with a cheap pan from Aussie Disposals and a small shovel. I found my first bit of yellow at Andersons Creek, Warrandyte and I've been adding to my kit ever since (bigger & better pan, classifiers, crevicing tools, sluice...now looking at highbanker options).

Enjoy the journey! :goldpan: :Y:

Welcome ShanMar.

My first time finding gold was down at Shoalhaven. I was surprised how easy it was to find a few colours in a pan without much knowledge!

From there the hobby really picked up - there is so much to learn and improve on (And as Caesar mentioned, plenty of gear to play around with) :)

Best of luck if you decide to take it up, and I hope you do!

Thanks for your story Goldpin Prospecting, and words of encouragement. Hoping to get out soon for a pan.
Yes, research and practice :D

Hi Shanmar I was always a fossicker never really got into gold. I bought a cheap pan and sieve set at Aussie disposals and set out to Daylesford only to add zircon to my collection
Little to my pleasure it wasn't long before I found yellow in my pan. There was a little excitement (maybe a lot) since then it's become bit of a fever. It's always a dream to find the big one but just as exciting for every little piece that shows up. Research patience and getting of the beaten track is the key for anything getting out amongst it is all part of the pleasure
Happy hunting

Latest posts