Access to rivers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its hard to find info on this but i want to walk up or downstream along the peel river from nundle but farmers have put small fences across the river in certain places.

Ive always thought the river bed was crown land but i dont want to tresspass.

Any link to info i could print out and politely show a farmer that would be ideal.
Thanks

When we had the farm in Young, part of our boundary was a large creek, this was shared with neighbors and fenced with flood fencing to define the 'give and take' sections so we could use it for stock watering without our stock straying into the neighbors property. As part of access to the creek we were also responsible for upkeep of the banks and riparian zones on our side of the creek, plus the removal of invasive species, willow, bull rushes etc. A few farmers took this seriously but many didn't, which caused bank erosion and creek deterioration during heavy rain.

We never went into the legalities of ownership, Crown land etc. we just looked after our banks and on our property planted thousands of tube stock to re-vegetate and stabilise. Another point of note is that farmers, even though they have rights to the water course are no allowed to dam it in any way as it influences the water availability down stream.

Wrap this up with prospectors wanting to do what we like to do and you can probably understand the dilemma. Irrespective of 'Ownership' farmers are responsible for management and water is a very valuable particularly in dry times.

Mackka said:
Dihusky, love Young, great memories from the time when my sister in law lived there. Did you grow cherries by chance?
Mackka :)

Had a few trees together with a variety of other stone fruit, strictly for personal consumption... damn I miss tree ripe fruit!!

No we had X bred sheep for meat, squab, Boar X Goats and Alpacas, kept us very busy, didn't have a holiday for 7 yrs, but miss it and the country, though I am happy to be out of the cold, used to get down to -7c and burst the valves on the troughs!

Ever get into the Lambing Flats Gold??

(NSW) , if it is a (RIVER), and a farmer owns say both sides of it, a law was passed several years ago for fishing. You could pass and fish on it. As long as you did not trespass on his property to access it. On the original land ownership of rivers in this situation, the farmer owns the riverbed as well. But he must obide by any state water laws etc.
I think it all started when paddle steamers had to ferry through private land. And laws had to be adjusted back then aswell.
Happy to be corrected.

Could someone link me a site where i can see ceown land and private property boundaries.

It can get tricky to understand. As crown land can be vast . Crown land can have numerous titles. There are a few sites like 6maps etc, but they only show DP numbers, and a basic outline of boundries.
It is much easier to search for reserves, state forests.etc.
crown land can even be on a lease for private use, and councils even lease them.
Farmers are allowed to fence over their creeks. Because it is really is their land.
It might be better to target a particular area, and then do the search.
Plenty of places are mentioned on this site.
Even ask the members of there knowledge of a place hey. You will get good advice

https:// minview.geoscience.nsw.gov.au/#/?bm=bm1&z=15&lat=151.150270208177&lon=-31.402697455654412&l=ad6:y:100,re4:y:100,ut1:y:100,wa1:y:100,wa2:y:100,mg9:y:100

Close the spaces up before 'minview', I don't have a high enough post count to post links yet.

Have a look for yourself as to what is crown and what is freehold, Nundle-guy doesn't own the Peel river nor it's banks.

Me and the girl found Nundle to be a strange strange place, the poor town is kept afloat through tourism, the cafe / museum, the campground, yet a handful of arsehole locals are doing their best to destroy that. We got gold incredibly easy there, but we won't be back.

Strange, we came to the same conclusion. The owner of the pub was really the only happy resident there. And the council fencing of one of the prospecting areas, so you had to walk your gear in was odd. The town wouldn't even be able to support that pub if it wasnt for the tourists.