A newbies, newbie :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gidday all;

Just starting out in the prospecting game and still have a lot to learn - I know there is more to it then just swinging a detector around like a ...um Cranky Emu!

After spending a lot of hours on mapping sites (TENGRAPH hurts my head) for locations in Victoria, thought I would start with close accessible places and learning the basics before going to far afield - I have located some sites I would be interested in looking at, mainly old historical mining sites that are publicly accessible.

Wondering what equipment is deemed essential, apart from the detector?
I have been looking at the new Garrett ATX-MAX Pro International it seems to be a good all-rounder to start with, any thoughts? My budget is pretty limited, $1500 is about where I would run out of steam for a detector at the moment.

I've got plenty of experience going bush and camping, so no problems there - in past jaunts it was nothing for me to go out on my own for 1 to 3 months at a time.

My main dilemma right now is how do you identify potential gold bearing ground - what do you look for on maps, what do you look for on location?
There is not a real lot of (good) info on this on the Internet, unless I am searching wrongly...

I know it is not going to be as easy as going to a said location and hitting it big the first time out. More likely to find rusty nails, wire and cans :) That's okay, all part of the learning experience. So I am under no illusion of it being a rags to riches hobby :lol:

Cheers;
Cranky Emu

Teemore said:
If you're using Tengraph to research Victorian locations then yes it will hurt big time, Tengraph is WA related.
Try Geovic instead.

:eek: :lol: I didn't write that to well now did I? It was late.
I was using TENGRAPH to try and identify Crown Land in WA - my success rate was zero, not sure if TENGRAPH does that or not though. It is a very complex beast to use unlike GeoVic.

Where would one obtain maps showing crown land boundaries?

BigWave said:
In WA or VIC?

I would like to start with Victoria as it is closer to home, although am interested in crown land mapping for WA and QLD. I have some friends relocating to Cairns at the end of October, in conjunction with going to visit them I would also like to have a scout around while I was up there.

Latest posts